advertisement

Firefox update? - PFM forum non-functional

Nick_G

pfm Member
I'm guessing this is connected with a Firefox update - it crashed earlier and may have auto-updated when I relaunched it. It's currently on version 84.0.1 (Mac).

Anyway, using Firefox the forum is fine for viewing, but starting new threads and replying to them is impossible, as there is no form visible to enter text in. Here's what I see when trying to reply to a post:

3d4gunurmdnd.png

Similarly, I can't send PMs either. Thankfully I am able to use Google Chrome to post this!

Is anyone else experiencing this using Firefox? Has there also been a forum update?

I'm guessing this is connected with a Firefox update - it crashed earlier and may have auto-updated when I relaunched it. It's currently on version 84.0.1 (Mac).

Anyway, using Firefox the forum is fine for viewing, but starting new threads and replying to them is impossible, as there is no form visible to enter text in. Here's what I see when trying to reply to a post:

3d4gunurmdnd.png

Similarly, I can't send PMs either. Thankfully I am able to use Google Chrome to post this!

Is anyone else experiencing this using Firefox? Has there also been a forum update?

84.0.1(64bit) OK here on Windows 7.

Has there also been a forum update?

Nothing changed here. Any issue has to be with either Firefox or the computer. I’d start by disabling any plug-ins, ad blockers etc and make sure cookies are fully enabled, i.e. get it so it is at least in theory capable of displaying the site. Also try fully emptying the cache.

Nothing changed here. Any issue has to be with either Firefox or the computer. I’d start by disabling any plug-ins, ad blockers etc and make sure cookies are fully enabled, i.e. get it so it is at least in theory capable of displaying the site. Also try fully emptying the cache.

It's very odd. It seemed to start after relaunching Firefox after it crashed. The issue is that the reply form or text box, or whatever you call it, just isn't there, so I can't enter any text.

It displays the site e.g. forums and threads fine, it just can't interact due to the problem above. I haven't changed anything in Firefox, so I'm puzzled as to why it's having problems with the site.

OK, in the clearing history option, I deselected everything except 'clear cache', and that has solved it. I'm posting this via Firefox.

Can someone with more IT knowledge than me explain what happened? I'm guessing something screwy happened either when Firefox crashed or when I relaunched it.

Thanks guys.

Had the same problem. A reboot of the OS sorted it - Firefox doesn't give you much information on when the update has finished.

I just use Safari on a Mac, I can’t see any reason not to as it’s fast, stable and integrates to KeyChain so can create random bollocks passwords and remember them.

The only reason I don't use Safari on my mac is that Firefox remembers all passwords and enters them for you on websites. You could argue it is a security hole, but, as Tony indicates, KeyChain does that for most passwords on a mac. You stil need keychain for non-web programmes, unless I'm mistaken.

You could argue it is a security hole, but, as Tony indicates, KeyChain does that for most passwords on a mac.

The beauty of KeyChain is it is an Apple environment/ecosystem thing so I don’t ever need to type some obnoxious random password string into a site when trying to log-in from my iPhone after joining on the Mac or iPad. Everything is nicely synced. By saying that I don’t trust it for the really important stuff (this place, bank, PayPal etc). I just remember those!

advertisement

Back