advertisement

Finishing MDF

mcai7et2

pfm Member
Hi,

I am planning to stretch my DIY muscle this weekend and put together a TNT Flexy to plonk my components on. I would like to have a really good painted finish and ideally I would like them to have a similar finish to a car.

How would I go about getting this? I figured primer, three coats of high gloss spray paint and a couple of coats of clear gloss lacquar. Has anyone done this before and how did it go?

Cheers,

Ed

PS.
They will be black, black like the heart of the beast.

It's the cut edges of MDF that's the tricky one - I think there is a primer/sealer that can help stop the paint disappearing into the MDF.
For the main surface your suggestion sounds great.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it when finished!

I built the same flexy the shelves were finished by routering the edges to give a 5mm radius, ie the end result is a shelf with a rounded edge...so no splitting of the mdf.

The shelves were then laquered with polyeurathane,six spray coats to a high gloss. The finish is a gloss dark honey oatmeal, warm and inviting complimenting the silvers and blacks of the gear.

Hope that helps!

Is you use various grades of sanding paper (down to 320 or finer) you should be able to get a glass like finish on the edges, or try painting them with water based varnish, that seals the surface, then a light sand possibly followed by a second coat of varnish, then paint ect

pete

Hi,
I have used blackboard paint on mdf applied with a roller. This gives a lightly textured flat black finish and is dry in a couple of hours.
Spray painting takes an age and you need many coats to get a mirror finish, time better spent listening.
I built a flexyrack a while ago using slate and stainless steel studding from B&Q. They do domed nuts which I used for finishing of the top and bottom of the studding. This gives a neat finish and works just as well as spikes.
Iain

On impulse I bought 18mm ply wood. It has 7 sheets and will look real pretty when sanded and oiled (2 shelves sanded...).

I will post pictures once complete.

Cheers,

Ed

Sounds good.
Must admit, like zanesh, I do like the "natural" finish on MDF. I've built quite a few bookcases of the stuff (even before changing rooms started!)

Well, I assembled the rack last night, and it looks great :)

The construction is 3 x 12mm zinc plated threaded bolts (from B&Q) with shelves supported by an arrangement of nut/washer/vinyl (tap) washer/shelf/vinyl washer/washer/nut. I need to cut the bolts down tonight and then it will be installed. I will put up photos once it is in situ.

I plan to screw rounded cap nuts onto the ends of the rod to act as feet, hopefully this will give some decoupling from the floor without piercing the waterproof cement stuff in my basement.

Now finally my amp and preamp will be off the floor and up where they belong!

advertisement

Back