advertisement

Find an electrical connection solution for PC

garyi

leave blank
I posted this on the general forum but perhaps DIY guys might have some ideas.

I have created a waterloop for my pc with all the gubbins, fans, pump etc outside of the shed. The water side of things has been a great success and cooling is way above my expectation.

But the electrical side has been hit and miss. It is because the fan headers etc usually associated with the inside of a PC are just so fragile, they just arnt up to the task, I am getting constant issues with wrong DC readings or total loss of power etc. Also I want a solution for pluging and unplugging. If I ever need to do mantainance on the PC I want to be able to take it out, so want a solution of connecting up the external fans so as to be disconectable!

My first attempt an big brain was to go ethernet. It can carry more than the electric I will use but because ultimatley its having to be soldered to the shitty fragile fan connectors it went wrong.

Well anyway what I need is some solutions for 4 way connections. At the moment I am looking at din. But I will need a lot of connections. it is my intention to replace all the fan connectors, I want a a better solution that stock. But I also feel a din plug on each fan is overkill. But I just dont know search terms to go looking.

Any help please! I guess the simple question in connection solution for low power 4 way.

Do you just need straight wire to wire, or are you splitting one power feed to multiple pumps snd fans?

Not quite. The pump is easy thats being powered by molex, which is sorted, its control however is PMW fan header. Then I have 7 fans, 2 on one rad 3 on another and two for air flow. Plan being to split these over two headers. But consider these are going from outside into the shed. Ideally terminated neatly then to the pc.

e6c9d24egy1h3ug1d4hihj20zk0qojyc.jpg

Picture above has two ethernet purple cables. I used 4 strands to create 3 fan headers and a molex. but this interconnect is not so much the issue, its the terminations either side to traditional fan headers that are so weak.

I think I am just going to get a bunch of din sockets/plugs.

Are you controlling the speed of the fans?
If no then a relay would take the strain off the connector.

Pete

I am not controlling the fans the fan headers will manage this. I dont know what a relay is?

Yup have tried a variety of hubs but ultimately I have to get from the outside in and power to those ubs as well. It’s the connector in the end of that hub that is the issue they are fragile. I tried one but it needed two 30cm extenders just to get to the pc. Moving the pc a few times and in the end the pins get damaged and you have no power or no pwm reading or what ever

Yup have tried a variety of hubs but ultimately I have to get from the outside in and power to those ubs as well. It’s the connector in the end of that hub that is the issue they are fragile. I tried one but it needed two 30cm extenders just to get to the pc. Moving the pc a few times and in the end the pins get damaged and you have no power or no pwm reading or what ever

can you run a controller hub from an external, powered usb hub? Usb C will carry a good 4W, I think

The fans individually use up to 6 watts each, there are eight. Plus they are 12v I feel usb is 5v?

I have ordered a bunch of four pin dins and sockets from china, I am sure they are cheap but far more robust than pin outs.

plan being to din up the fans, sockets on our side of shed then on inside and dins on the pc with leads in between, I feel sure this is overkill but could not find the search terms for what I want.

Yeah it feels like what I am doing is off beat but many pc cases offer cut outs to allow water cooling pipe to exit, yet there seems to be no solutions out there.
I hope the dins sort it but my only concern (not born of knowledge) is those connections causing resistance? Because the run of cable is obviously longer than fans etc are normally I just wonder if this means the pc has to deliver more etc. I am certainly getting erroneous speed readings but according to the internet this can happen on DC fans when the speed is low.

map I have some pwm fans coming too!

Yer using water-cooling AND seven fans ! Yer aff yer heid! I'm using watercooling and now down to 3 fans + front case fan and ah reckon that's still one too many. Ah have a fast powerful m'board , well overclocked (memory, chip,card and it is well-controlled by what I'm using. It's the flow of air which is most important , NOT the number of fans. My big SLOW case fan blows warm air across the case bottom. The rear fan blows air up/out, the 2 ceiling fans suck that warm/hot air out, keeping everything cool and fresh.With seven fans ye have defeated yerself by filling up the case with air being blown about like a pinball. Where are ALL the cables aligned? Get online and look at casebuilders who'll give ye advice about controlling air.... and sell those fans. :cool:
PS Pro gamers would'nt dream of so many fans in a case.
The more ah dwell on this... are ye a wannabe pro? Is yer machine on 24/7 ? It reminds me of over-cooking valves. Run them 'till ye burn 'em!

Well mr Locheeboy, you need to follow along. The fans, pump and radiators are not in the case. They arnt even in the same room.

Groan back to square one, the din mounts and sockets I ordered from our friends in china took a month to get here with no mounts.

Surely some of you people must have a good idea here! Anyone got 22 4 pin plugs and sockets for me?

The struggle I am having is that the wire gauge is like 22 or even 24. They are not outdoor though they are contained in a waterproof box.

I really dont want to spend hundreds on connectors either.

Ok to close this one out spent a bit of time to get this sorted and now it is all working and feels a whole lot more robust

This is where the connections are in the shed, I did not take a photo but have also 3d printed a double sized PCI cover replicating these connections on the back of the pc, which behind them go to the various headers on the mother board.

e6c9d24egy1h4pkp9tif1j20qo0zkq97.jpg

On the outside of the shed behind that above picture is a another 3d printed box with the the fan break outs. the whole system is running well, under pressure (playing halo infinite at ultra settings and getting circa 110 fps) the GPU and CPU maxxed out after 40 minutes at 60oC. Happy with that

e6c9d24egy1h4pkpl9mp5j20qo0zkgtn.jpg

advertisement

Back