advertisement

Finally got a decent TT... My opinion on digital vs vinyl

@Al & @sonddek: Sorry for the late reply, guys...

The Technics is a SL 1200 MK2. The cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Black.

Very nice. If you haven't done it, I recommend getting the transformer out from inside the deck and putting it in an external box. It need only cost 10 quid, and it's the most worthwhile improvement to the deck that I have heard. That said, it may make less of a difference with a high output MM cartridge than with a LOMC.

I've just got my first proper digital set up as a second system. Epos ES14s Exposure X, FiiO D3 DAC and I use my macbook with it. For over 20 years I've been in the Linn Naim vortex with a maxed out LP12 breaking out recently to the Amadeus. I have to say the digital system is really good in spite of the fact that (if you exclude the macbook) it cost about £500. My vinyl system's SH value is about 5k. If I was starting again It would be digital but I have about 1200 records some of which I am quite emotionally attached to.
Planning a downsize (of house) next spring so current thinking is sell most of the records keeping about 500, get a Rega Planar 3, sign up to Spotify Premium and get the best active speakers I can on the proceeds of the sell off.

Very nice. If you haven't done it, I recommend getting the transformer out from inside the deck and putting it in an external box. It need only cost 10 quid, and it's the most worthwhile improvement to the deck that I have heard. That said, it may make less of a difference with a high output MM cartridge than with a LOMC.

Thanks sonddek,

This is indeed a very logical upgrade. I did something else instead - the deck now has regular IEC socket and phono outs so I can use my usual cables. Next step may be to do what you suggested, too bad I already drilled the case for the IEC input =(((

Cheers,
Rudy

advertisement

Back