advertisement

F'in 'ell

And currently having to make do with a little Aune X1 DAC/Pre. Not too refined at present (but actually not that bad at all really). Only a couple of weeks until my Modwright 36.5 turns up I hope.

Quoted shipping date from the factory is the 20th so not long! :)

Sure, I'll have it tail end of next week, I delivered another LS36.5 today (thread running over on Wigwam about it). Sounded absolutely fantastic and he is over the moon, the lemon drizzle cake was dished out by him in celebration so a great day for all.

Thanks,
Jack

I'll go over to the Wam and have a read. Looking forward to it. Hope I can tell the difference compared to the Aune.

:)

Great thread and they look (and I'm sure sound) great. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together :)

What have you been listening to?

Great thread and they look (and I'm sure sound) great. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together :)

What have you been listening to?

A mixture of HiFi test-out tracks, and some old favourites. Wanted to test the speaker/room interaction, so did Nine Inch Nails (Copy Of A), Propellerheads (OHMSS) and Bach (Toccata and Fugue). No major issues, but I'm sure some carefully chosen bass trapping will tighten things up.

Went on to some old Fleetwwod Mac, Pink Floyd and more recent Porcupine Tree, Alt-j, Atoms for Peace, Shearwater and The National. Plus a few bits for wife and daughter (David Bowie and Jessie J respectively!).

Spooky was just enjoying Alt-j tesselate remix and Bach toccata on Radio Paradise not long ago.

More from the side walls if possible and a little toe-in too. Did you join in the 'speaker position' thread poll thingy??

I've moved things about over the last 12months and have found worthwhile improvements. Clearing space around them helps also.

I was too busy with ATC threads to be sociable discussing other peoples speakers.. :)

They are slightly toe-in, but not pointing at the listening position. Once the pre is here I'll rearrange things to acoustic taste, and add some treatment if possible.

I also need a proper solution for a rack, but not sure what yet. Hopefully something that allows the 50s some more room to breathe.

Not a lot of point toeing in, as these are wide dispersion speakers. They work very well on Mana stands if you can find them. Congrats on a pair of awesome speakers.

I would experiment with toe in and width. However, in my room I also have them near the side walls to get width (I have a narrow room). Just try things out. It may very well change when the new source gear arrives though ...
Not a lot of point toeing in, as these are wide dispersion speakers. They work very well on Mana stands if you can find them. Congrats on a pair of awesome speakers.
I agree ATCs have good dispersion characteristics. But I think their design goal is "well transitioned dispersion" rather than maximum dispersion at all frequencies (think Genelec). Not an unreasonable scheme, to my mind. Bass radiates 360 degrees and so reducing dispersion by frequency is a natural part of the paradigm for closed baffles. The trick is making it gradual and orderly enough.

You can see reviews of the 50/100s at Stereoplay that show the dispersion plots.

advertisement

Back