advertisement

Film scanning software recommendations

mentalp

pfm Member
It's been a while since I scanned any film and it seems that in the meantime a recent Windows update has borked the Epson scan software I use - seems to have been an issue for some time now from what I've read. Can get it to work in Admin mode but if you try to do anything else on the machine it just crashes.
Does anyone have any alternatives they can recommend? I'm using an Epson V700

Pete,

VueScan is my recommendation. It’s not the most electrifying and amazing software that you’ve ever used but it gets the job done.

Joe

Vuescan from Ed Hamrick - works with pretty much any scanner made.

The Pro version is cheap and comes with a lifetime of upgrades

Another 'up' for Vuescan - I was recommended it by the Head of the Graphics section at RAFC Cranwell. Works just fine, and as Charlie says, it'll work with just about anything.

Thanks guys. I've uninstalled and reinstalled as Paul suggested and it seems ok now. The reading I'd done suggested that the Epson drivers hadn't been updated since 2013.
Will have a look at Vuescan - I thought I'd tried it before and not liked it but that may have been Silverfast

And another vote for Vuescan. Works perfectly with my Epson flatbed and my Reflecta ProScan 7200.

Lefty

Vuescan wouldn't work with a SCSI card on windows 7 as windows wouldn't see the SCSI card. So I installed the Linux version on a Laptop running Ubuntu with a 20 + years old SCSI PCMCIA card. Worked a treat. Superb piece of software with support direct from the guy who wrote it.

Vuescan here. If you buy it get the more expensive of the two options as it gives lifelong updates. I bought Vuescan back in the 90s and haven't had to pay a penny since.

Downloaded Vuescan - now just need to work out how to use it properly

I’m interested in how you find Vuescan. I’ve always used the Epson scan driver for the V700, but that won’t work on a new iMac, and the older iMac that ran it is no longer working. The Apple scan driver seems quite crude and harsh; Vuescan might be a good solution.

Pete, if you decide to buy Vuescan after the trial, don't buy the skinny version, go for the full-fat one as it'll save you grief in the future.

Paulicus is right — go for the full version of VueScan. In this world where more and more software companies are moving to the subscription / milk-you-onto-death model, it's nice to see a company offering installation with free-upgrades-until-the-cows-come-home pricing.

My only regret is that I didn't buy VueScan earlier. It has saved two very good scanners from the landfill.

Joe

The OCR capabiliity in Vuescan is rather good and fast.
Unlike the Epson Scanner driver which has to scan the image twice the Vuescan driver only scans the image once and then can output variations of the image.

Pete, if you decide to buy Vuescan after the trial, don't buy the skinny version, go for the full-fat one as it'll save you grief in the future.

It’s possible to upgrade from skinny to full fat. I did so many years back with my copy of Vuescan. I can echo the positive comments above. The guy behind Vuescan is a great help over any issues a user might have.

Mick

advertisement

Back