advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

Spent Christmas Eve afternoon in local arts centre /cinema watching "It's a Wonderful Life" with 20 other people . Plenty of teary eyes at the end including my own , none from my stone hearted son, must be a generational thing.

Spent Christmas Eve afternoon in local arts centre /cinema watching "It's a Wonderful Life" with 20 other people . Plenty of teary eyes at the end including my own , none from my stone hearted son, must be a generational thing.

You can view it again tomorrow on channel 4seven @ 18:25

When "Saving Private Ryan" came out I went to see it at the big-screen cinema. It was OK, but coming out afterwards I met an old friend, we looked at each other and both said "'But 'The Longest Day' was better." I sometimes have the feeling that Spielberg makes films for children, with all their moral messages and right-and-wrong atmosphere.
It was one the first films I went to see with the Mrs before she became 'The Mrs'. I was sat next to old gent on his own who looked old enough to have seen WW2 action. He looked very shaken at the end and TBH everyone left the screening in silence. From the old guy's reaction I got the impression that Spielberg must've pretty much nailed what it was actually like to be in combat.

Still don't think there's been a better war film.

It was one the first films I went to see with the Mrs before she became 'The Mrs'. I was sat next to old gent on his own who looked old enough to have seen WW2 action. He looked very shaken at the end and TBH everyone left the screening in silence. From the old guy's reaction I got the impression that Spielberg must've pretty much nailed what it was actually like to be in combat.

I saw Saving Private Ryan in the cinema as well and it had the same effect on everybody in the audience that time as well. Nobody spoke on the way out. It was like we were all totally stunned in disbelief, almost questioning whether we'd really just witnessed what we'd just seen. Incomprehensibly vicarious.

In many ways, I think Monserrat's 'The Cruel Sea' is one of the finest of all war films; well second only, to the full 6 hours of 'Das Boot'

Yes, Das Boot is unique. Theatre more than cinema. In a schoolboyish, all's well that ends well way I also like "Sink the Bismarck," with the real Edward Murrow commenting the events.

I saw Saving Private Ryan in the cinema as well and it had the same effect on everybody in the audience that time as well. Nobody spoke on the way out. It was like we were all totally stunned in disbelief, almost questioning whether we'd really just witnessed what we'd just seen. Incomprehensibly vicarious.

Had a woman next to us at the cinema watching the opening beach scene and she was very very emotional, it is a brilliantly shot and the horrors of war easily brought to life, remember that as clear as a bell.

Yes, Das Boot is unique. Theatre more than cinema. In a schoolboyish, all's well that ends well way I also like "Sink the Bismarck," with the real Edward Murrow commenting the events.

Was the Ed Murrow commentary not on the scuttling of The Graf Spee in “The Battle of The River Plate” ?

Was the Ed Murrow commentary not on the scuttling of The Graf Spee in “The Battle of The River Plate” ?

No, in the River Plate there was a very fictitious radio correspondent, who has to keep buying drinks to use the cafe' as a broadcasting base and flirts with the wife of the owner, played by Christopher
lee. In STB it is the real Murrow playing himself.

I think it’s Hank’s best performance though I disliked the sentimental book ending of the film. Spielberg just can’t help himself.

Saving Private Ryan

saw some that being filmed. Some of my students were involved, so we got to visit the set. The set for the ruined village was built at the former British Aerospace factory, 5 minutes walk from home. The set was built on what remained of the runway and was reused for Band of Brothers.

we also had loads of flybys from aircraft

All now long gone

I totally agree with this

As an aside I think Tom Hanks is n all time great actor, his range is incredible, he’s far better than more venerated thesps like DeNiro & Paccino. Controversial but so what.
Pacino hams and barks now though when directors aren’t intimidated by him he can still produce a compelling performance like he did in Insomnia. De Niro’s decline is more disheartening as he has greater subtlety. Hanks is Everyman, a proper film star like Cary Grant or Paul Newman. His acting is small but perfectly formed. Even in his poorest films he is watchable.

Pacino hams and barks now though when directors aren’t intimidated by him he can still produce a compelling performance like he did in Insomnia. De Niro’s decline is more disheartening as he has greater subtlety. Hanks is Everyman, a proper film star like Cary Grant or Paul Newman. His acting is small but perfectly formed. Even in his poorest films he is watchable.
He’s pretty much the definition of a proper film star, the ‘everyman’ persona is perfectly judged so he can play a wide range of roles. A latter day James Stewart & we should cherish him.

advertisement

Back