advertisement

Ferrari to keep making combustion engines

hifinutt

hifinutt
Great news !! or maybe you dont agree

Ferrari will continue to build cars with internal combustion engines into the late 2030s, despite efforts by governments around the world to phase out the technology.

The boss of the Italian manufacturer said it would be "arrogant" to dictate to customers what they can buy.

For Ferrari, as for many other premium brands, the move towards electric cars presents a steep marketing challenge.

But the company is due to introduce its first electric supercar in 2025.

Traditionally, the raucous sound of an eight or 12-cylinder internal combustion engine has been a key part of its appeal. But battery-powered cars are much quieter.

Nevertheless, Ferrari is planning to launch its first fully electric model in two years' time - a design the company insists will offer a "unique driving experience".

This puts it at odds with rival brand McLaren, whose CEO told an FT automotive summit this week the technology was "not ready" for use in supercars, due to the weight of the batteries.

Last year, Ferrari unveiled plans for a three-pronged approach in developing new vehicles, as part of a commitment to becoming carbon neutral by 2030. It said electric cars and hybrids would make up an increasing proportion of its range by the end of the decade.

But it insisted it would continue to develop internal combustion engines as well, to build on what it called "an essential part of the company's heritage".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65539880

Translation - rich people will continue to generate far more than their fair share of CO2 (private jets and frequent flights etc)

But will only be able to operate within applicable legislation.

I certainly have no great love for sports cars of any ilk, but I certainly hope never to have to buy an electric car as they currently exist.
I shall hang onto combustion engines as long as possible, hopefully to change from internal combustion to hydrogen oxidation and avoid the current lunatic electrical ones in between.

But will only be able to operate within applicable legislation.

I certainly have no great love for sports cars of any ilk, but I certainly hope never to have to buy an electric car as they currently exist.
I shall hang onto combustion engines as long as possible, hopefully to change from internal combustion to hydrogen oxidation and avoid the current lunatic electrical ones in between.
Hydrogen powered vehicles mostly use fuel cells to power electric motors

Good news indeed - Would love to own a Ferrari someday, may never happen, but something to aspire to at least. There is just something about a Ferrari and it’s awesome sounding engines and classy Italian looks that resonates with me. Would have to be in their classic red though…

One can dream about driving the beautiful Portofino M around the Amalfi coastline :)

https://www.ferrari.com/en-GB/auto/ferrari-portofino-m

Yes it does. Especially when you happen to live next to a track that was built years after you moved in the nearby village. Electric motors are a relief in city centres too. Petrol and diesel served us well, but we have to move on.

Translation - rich people will continue to generate far more than their fair share of CO2 (private jets and frequent flights etc)
Yes, but it is all relative. People with a moped pollute more than people with a bicycle. People who travel by air twice a year pollute more than those who never travel by air. So who establishes what is an individual's "fair share of C02"? The more affluent people are the bigger their homes, the more oil, gas or electricity they use to heat them. Somebody with a 12 cylinder Ferrari could say "Yes, I burn petrol with my car. But my neighbour, who drives a Tesla, owns a motor boat." It is all relative and taking a moral stance is a bit pointless.

Enzo embraced the technology of the time to make cars that went fast, handled well, won races and looked beautiful. No reason why that attitude wouldn't be to the fore now.
like McLaren have said...batteries are just too heavy. Some laws of physics are not ignorable. You can make an electric Ferrari but ?

advertisement

Back