advertisement

Fehmarnbelt tunnel

Cheese

Bitter lover
I am far from being an engineer, but this project still looks super cool to me. How they assemble this thing to be waterproof is beyond me.

Not to mention that the slightest little mistake in planning/building would result in all elements being instantly filled with water, giving the project a final death blow :confused:

Enjoy !

I will continue to use the ferry as it's uasually at lunch time and I need to stop to eat anyway. As I'm a Swede I also bunker up with booze on the way home.

And who will wan't to travel in a looooooong tunnel with just concrete to look on? Boring is just the first name, when you can sit down on the ferry uper deck and enjoy the view.

Good Morning All,

From an engineering point of view it looks to be very exciting BUT, just like HS2, not actually necessary. Did they really say each 217mtr length weighs 70,000 - 73,000T? What is the environmental impact of building this tunnel?

I hate to keep harping on about climate change but Denmark and Germany have far more to be worrying about than building this tunnel.

Regards

Richard

Prefab sections that are slowly sunk into place, sealed and then pumped out have been used under rivers in Germany for some time. I remember my Dad mentioning one in Hamburg in the 70s but I think the technique is older than that.

Makes me feel a bit nostalgic. I got the train from Copenhagen to Paris a few times, and it was always fun watching the carriages being loaded onto the ferry at Rodby. Took the car a few times too, but there was always something exciting about the train journey, with a sleepover in the sidings in Aachen

Makes me feel a bit nostalgic. I got the train from Copenhagen to Paris a few times, and it was always fun watching the carriages being loaded onto the ferry at Rodby. Took the car a few times too, but there was always something exciting about the train journey, with a sleepover in the sidings in Aachen

In 1998 I went to Berlin with train from Sweden. At that time it was still a train ferry over the Baltic to what previously had been Eastern Germany. In Sassnitz there where still someone looking under the trains with a mirror!

Well, a couple of years later I planned to redo the trip. BUT! Now the train went through Denmark, which I had no interest in, and they even charged you extra for the detour you hadn't asked for!!!! I went by air.

The ferry to Sassnitz, btw, is still going and is filled with lorries that uses the shortest route. I don't think they will be very keen on going the long way through Denmark in future either. Particulary as the drivers need the rest that they get on the ferry.

advertisement

Back