advertisement

Favourite new album releases of 2022

Orbital 30 Something
Caught it a few weeks ago on Qobuz. Managed to get back to it and listen again (purchased). Seems to build on Orbital 20. Some new tracks with smiley, twists and remixes. Really good; though I would say that as a lazy follower of orbital.

DoomCannon: Renaissance
First time I've come across Dominic Canning and his quintet. Love the Sound.

Röyksopp : Profound Mysteries
An absolute corker of an album - just kept putting the volume up.

Royksopp have just released Profound Mysteries II. Personally not as keen on the 2nd album of 2022 as Profound Mysteries released earlier. Though suspect it’s a grower

Florist s/t

I've been streaming this a lot over the past week or so - melancholy indie folk with well crafted songs but with short, interspersed instrumental and ambient fragments - some touches of Grouper or the most recent Big Thief record in places

Some dirty house jams from Jennifer Loveless on Around The World, a pretty much album length six track EP that never lets up after this opener...

\o/

More an EP than a full LP, but no worse for it … DJ Black Low, Monate Wa Piano. He’s very much at the forefront of the Amapiano charge atm. It’s all about the signature bass tones for me :)

Cheat Codes Danger Mouse & Black Thought
full album on YouTube

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. Easily my favourite 2022 album so far. Melodic hooks and funky grooves from Danger Mouse with Black Thought absolutely ****ing bringing it lyrically (of course) and guests including Raekwon, DOOM (rip), RTJ...

I first heard some Skin On Skin on the fierce Mall Grab rework of SOS’s techno stomper ‘Got Me ****ed Up’, from their collaborative EP, Strangers.

However, this year’s ‘For Tha Shot’ and especially ‘Burn Dem Bridges’ are a level above. Tune...

(Vocals from Horrid1 and SavO’s ‘Violent Siblings’, ofc.)

While I remember, another album, Mall Grab’s What I Breathe...

4-A710-E9-C-69-A5-4-E8-D-8-E92-71-ACC7-BB01-E5.jpg

Not in any way representative of the album as it’s all over the place, but here’s some good old-fashioned uplifting piano house...

Now fifteen straight weeks at number one in America, a record for a British artist...

Thurston Moore dreams of Harry Styles going black metal, but for now, the really quite good Harry’s House will have to do.

Now fifteen straight weeks at number one in America, a record for a British artist...

Thurston Moore dreams of Harry Styles going black metal, but for now, the really quite good Harry’s House will have to do.

Aha..

Props to Marie Davidson for not laughing while saying these portentous opening lines, the ideal intro to your set of Cerrone-style tunes...

From Berlin’s Perel, the first album I’ve heard from Kompakt in a while, Jesus Was An Alien. Dodgy title, theme, and cover, and perhaps not even a 5/7 from me, but I wanted to post the above club edit of the title track.

fr

advertisement

Back