advertisement

Favourite Linn Power Amp - LK series best all rounders ?

I've got a couple of Sparks but have never used them. I bought them on impulse when I was collecting LK280s for fun.

Do you have the conversion kit for the 280s to go along with your under-utilised Sparks :)?

Often fancied “Sparking” my three 280s.

Do you have the conversion kit for the 280s to go along with your under-utilised Sparks :)?

Often fancied “Sparking” my three 280s.
Sadly, no. I think I have some cables that came with them, but as you know the LK280s need modifying to disengage the internal transformer/power supply. I think you also need a 5 pin din type connector fitted to the back of the LK280 and a hole blanked off. I reckon I could 'cook something up' to get the Sparks connected but it wouldn't be very elegant... I do however favour the 'belt and braces' approach.

The reason I've never earnestly tried to use them is because I figured that each channel of my LK280 only drives a single speaker driver with no crossover in the way either... So this being a very easy load the internal power supply of the LK280 should easily be 'man enough' to supply the current required (I've over-specced the caps too)...hence no need for a beefier power supply...but I could be wrong, I usually am.

Mind you the pair : an LK280 sitting on top of a Spark looks really cool...rather ominous, a military look, something the marines from Aliens might use... :D

Sadly, no. I think I have some cables that came with them, but as you know the LK280s need modifying to disengage the internal transformer/power supply. I think you also need a 5 pin din type connector fitted to the back of the LK280 and a hole blanked off. I reckon I could 'cook something up' to get the Sparks connected but it wouldn't be very elegant... I do however favour the 'belt and braces' approach.

The reason I've never earnestly tried to use them is because I figured that each channel of my LK280 only drives a single speaker driver with no crossover in the way either... So this being a very easy load the internal power supply of the LK280 should easily be 'man enough' to supply the current required (I've over-specced the caps too)...hence no need for a beefier power supply...but I could be wrong, I usually am.

Mind you the pair : an LK280 sitting on top of a Spark looks really cool...rather ominous, a military look, something the marines from Aliens might use... :D

I did the conversion a while back and it was fairly easy, the hardest part was cutting the aluminum mounting plate, the only soldering required is the xlr sockets.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190748481@N07/50519579213/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190748481@N07/50520477042/in/dateposted-public/

given the advantages there is no way on earth that I would be running a standard LK280 if I had a spark sitting unused. it is not just about the power it just sounds better.

Rgds
Stuart

I did the conversion a while back and it was fairly easy, the hardest part was cutting the aluminum mounting plate, the only soldering required is the xlr sockets.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190748481@N07/50519579213/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190748481@N07/50520477042/in/dateposted-public/

given the advantages there is no way on earth that I would be running a standard LK280 if I had a spark sitting unused. it is not just about the power it just sounds better.

Rgds
Stuart

Well, having seen the excellent photos you posted on flickr you really know your way around an LK280 and are rather good at mechanical metal work and soldering too. I'm very impressed! You've inspired me and I'm in a 'half mind' to give this a go, but probably later in the year as I'm rather busy in the garden atm (decking), also I have 6 LK280s on duty and only 2 Sparks and as you can imagine shelf space is a premuim and I have a plethora of cables already which I do keep as tidy as possible.

Thanks for the food for thought.:)

Well, having seen the excellent photos you posted on flickr you really know your way around an LK280 and are rather good at mechanical metal work and soldering too. I'm very impressed! You've inspired me and I'm in a 'half mind' to give this a go, but probably later in the year as I'm rather busy in the garden atm (decking), also I have 6 LK280s on duty and only 2 Sparks and as you can imagine shelf space is a premuim and I have a plethora of cables already which I do keep as tidy as possible.

Thanks for the food for thought.:)
I have put more spark conversion images on flickr if anyone is interested, the soldering was bulgins not xlr's
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190748481@N07/albums/72177720308873554

Rgds
Stuart

The Linn Kairn preamp is a bit of star for me in the value stakes.

It’s a superbly musical device, tonally balanced and does everything well.

I had a Kairn for a while (one of the last ones with what is regarded as the best PSU). It was definitely miles ahead of the LK1 it replaced and very transparent and balanced, I wouldn't have described it as 'musical' though... but we are moving into the sticky territory of distortion and flat response conversations here.

advertisement

Back