advertisement

Favourite Linn Power Amp - LK series best all rounders ?

tenpercenter

Don't ya rile 'em.....
Having tried several Linn power amps over the years from vintage to modern, I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that the LK series of power amps are probably their most musical and incredible value.

The Linn Klout and the LK100 are just so musically satisfying.

Anyone else found a similar or different experience?

I had an LK2 then LK85 and LK140. The LK2 and LK85 were both a bit uninspiring, the LK140 less so but never really hit the spot.

The LK2 and LK85 are now both on door-stop duties if anyone fancies either of them?

Dull as a dishwasher, Klouts goes for silly money albeit Linn not interested in service and supporting their previous customer base.

Have to agree, I had an LK85 driving Keilidhs years ago and tried to make them better so I went active with LK100 and they were still awful so replaced the keilidhs with Keltiks and quickly gave up on Linn.

Really don't understand why people like Linn amps or speakers.

I am not a voice of dissent here. Whenever I heard Linn amps, and their speakers from after the 'classic' period, I was underwhelmed at best. If you like them, great, but nobody talks about them because there are other amps available which sound a lot more interesting.

Having been wed to Linn amps for about 20 years I was amazed at how much better 'other stuff' was when I finally broke free! There is some synergy between their pre and power amps (the Kairn/LK140) combo was about as good as it got for me) but now I've moved on I don't really know what the fuss is all about. At best they could be described as 'transparent', that being another word for 'characterless'.

What I don't understand is how you can forget what interesting Hi-Fi sounds like. They made the LP12, Kans, Isobariks and used Naim amps as their benchmark for years. This stuff was good, they were making it and using it all the time. How do you go from that to blandsvile and think 'Mmm, this is better'. Or even thinking it is ok?

Regret starting this thread now :)

Each to their own but a Kairn / Klout or LK100 combination is a very musical amp. I agree their later stuff does sound a bit tonally dry but some of the previous comments are very much tinged with unbalanced bitterness………

Must be the word Linn, it reaches part of the Gator brain other makes cannot reach :)

What I don't understand is how you can forget what interesting Hi-Fi sounds like.

I remember, I found big horns and valves that can reproduce music.

They made the LP12,

Whole other cyclic thread for that one

Oh god no, shouty little boxes that are like that annoying kid at school, amusing for a short while and then you just want to punch him

Isobariks

the least dynamic speakers I've ever heard, can't describe how much I disliked them (apart to say they are just bigger Kans)

I remember, I found big horns and valves that can reproduce music.

Whole other cyclic thread for that one

Oh god no, shouty little boxes that are like that annoying kid at school, amusing for a short while and then you just want to punch him

the least dynamic speakers I've ever heard, can't describe how much I disliked them (apart to say they are just bigger Kans)

Some people find horn speakers forward and shouty but can appreciate their other qualities…

Neither, just a bit more balance but where’s the fun in that I guess…….

Who's balance? again you're just looking for validation of your choice.

If you like Linn amps, use them, enjoy them, listen to them and tell us all we're muppets (or preferably just listen and not start threads about them)

Who's balance? again you're just looking for validation of your choice.

If you like Linn amps, use them, enjoy them, listen to them and tell us all we're muppets

No muppets were harmed in the making of this now futile discussion….

In the words of the classic song, “I should have known better….”

Regret starting this thread now :)

Each to their own but a Kairn / Klout or LK100 combination is a very musical amp. I agree their later stuff does sound a bit tonally dry but some of the previous comments are very much tinged with unbalanced bitterness………

Must be the word Linn, it reaches part of the Gator brain other makes cannot reach :)

Don't worry ... it's a very emotive subject! It's like asking different Christian denominations to agree on a prayer book!

advertisement

Back