advertisement

Favourite B-Side?

Arthur Alexander - Soldier of Love

Country soul singer from Alabama.
"Soldier of Love" was the B-side to "Where Have You Been (All My Life)", released on Dot Records in 1962.

"Baby lay down your arms
Soldier of love
Baby lay down your arms"

Willie Tee - Walking Up a One Way Street

Willie Tee was one of the legends of New Orleans funk and soul.
"Walking Up a One Way Street" was the B-side to "Teasin' You", perhaps his greatest hit. Originally released by the end of 1964 on the New Orleans Nola label, and then picked up for national release by Atlantic in the beginning of 1965.
The song was written by Earl King.

"Well, I'm all alone and blue as can be
And I'm walking, walking
Walking up a one way street"

Little Bob - I Got Loaded

Rhythmn and blues singer from Arnaudville/Louisiana.
The single's A-side includes a fine Dee Clark cover ("Nobody But You"), but it's the raucous B-side that became sort of Little Bob's signature song. Pure dynamite!
Released on Carol Rachou's La Louisianne label out of Lafayette/Louisiana in 1965/1966.

"Last night I got loaded
On a bottle of gin, on a bottle of gin
Last night I got loaded
On a bottle of gin, on a bottle of gin
But I feel alright, I feel alright
I feel alright, I feel alright"

Oasis B-sides were always as good as the A-sides up to where they went a bit crap on Be Here Now. I'm thinking:

Take Me Away
Columbia
D'yer Wanna Be A Spaceman
Listen Up
Fade Away
It's Good To Be Free
Half The World Away
Talk Tonight
It's Better People
Rockin' Chair
Round Are Way
Masterplan

Could have made a decent album, which I guess they did retrospectively on The Masterplan compilation.

Wonder if bands ever wished they'd kept good early B-sides back for when the inevitable drop off in form happened?

Reactions: BJP
World Groove b-side of Ship of Fools, World Party

Plus one for this. Just wish it went on longer. And I knew all the words towards the end.

Oh the joy of playing the A-side, flipping over and hearing something just as good that you know lots of people may never

Another few 80s/90s favourites that have never been far from the turntable over the years.

Gone For a Burton - The Lilac Time (Return to Yesterday)
She Carved Her Name - Love and Money (Halleluiah Man)
Little Piece of Hell - Frazier Chorus (Nothing 7")

rickie lee jones' 'on saturday afternoons in 1963', the 'a' side being 'chuckie's in love'. to me, it just evokes memories from childhood, it has a melody that just makes you feel sadness, happiness, it's such an emotional piece of music and vocals that slap you straight in the face, just phenomenal!!. the pity is it's only 2:30 minutes long.

Maybe not a Favourite "B" side but an interesting one. "Pyscho Daises" - Yardbirds, only known track that has both Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page both playing lead guitar.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Lou Reed 'Perfect Day' - which was the B side to 'Walk on the Wild Side.

Reed commented with irony that the b side went on to become a bigger hit than the A side, but 20 years later.

The Stranglers, "Straighten Out" whic was B side to 'Something Better Change".

Classic new wave stuff.

Bo Diddley - I'm a Man

The first song recorded by Bo Diddley and the B-side to "Bo Diddley", his first single released on Checker Records in April 1955.
The single reached number 1 on the Billboard R&B charts.

"I'm a Man" was based on Muddy Waters' "Hoochie Coochie Man" (Chess, 1954), and Muddy Waters in turn reworked Bo Diddley's "I'm a Man" into his song "Mannish Boy" (Chess, 1955).

"I'm a man
I spell M-A-N, man"

advertisement

Back