Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Faulty Speaker. One side quieter and more muffled than the other. Amp fine.What could the issue be?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Zaiden, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

Picked up a pair of ProAc Studio 118s that were sold as faulty.

One speaker sounds fine and as expected.

The other quieter, more veiled. Muffled. But it outputs sound all the same.

Is the issue with the woofer or the crossover?

What would I do to determine the issue?

2. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Do you know how old are these speakers ?

3. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

And can we get a picture of the woofer ?

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Dead tweeter?

5. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Probably. Amazing what a tweeter does. Do try to swap the tweeters. A 5 minute job.

6. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

5 years old.

7. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

As in, swap the tweeters of the working speaker, with the tweeter of the muffled one?

8. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

9. graham-r

graham-r pfm Member

Definitely try swapping the tweeters, if there is no change then the problem may be with the crossover or a bad connection.

I had a similar problem with some old Wharfedale Lintons that had been on the wrong end of an overdriven amp, the amp survived but the woofers and one tweeter died. A new tweeter only partly fixed it so I suspect that one of the caps or resistors in the crossover was damaged.

Still sounds ok though.

10. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

Truth be told, I'm praying for a crossover/bad connection. Those seem easier for me to fix, than the alternative.

Since I'm busy this afternoon, and most of tomorrow, reckon I can crack things open and have a look inside on bank holiday Monday.

Somewhat doubtful on the speakers being on the end of an overdriven amplifier. The seller told me they'd been using it with the Rega Elex R for years, and I am under the impression the Regas wouldn't overdrive/blow out the speaker. Not to mention small room.

Scuffs suggest to me it may have taken a knock and tumble at some point.

11. graham-r

graham-r pfm Member

It is more likely that a low powered amp will clip more easily and throw dc at the speakers, overdriving speakers with actual music, but not clipping, will often not damage them if the duration is short.

In my case it was a Pioneer SX-535 Receiver from the 70's - it is still doing great service as my tv amp.

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  12. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

It's nothing to do with DC and tweeters are naturally protected against DC anyway in a passive design.

It probably is a blown tweeter due to a small amp clipping though.

13. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

Hi Arkless. Thank you for your wonderful insight as always. So it's possible for a tweeter on one to get blown, but not for the tweeter on the other to get blown in a clipping situation?

14. graham-r

graham-r pfm Member

Quite correct with a capacitor in series, but if the amp was in oscillation then that could well pass through the capacitor and do some damage.

This is what I think happened to the tweeter in my speakers - although I must point out I bought the amp and speakers in that condition !

15. Zaiden

Zaiden pfm Member

So the capacitor might be gone too?

Hopefully I'll be able to find a 1:1 replacement including the same brand ProAc used for theirs.

16. graham-r

graham-r pfm Member

possibly, investigation needed, for testing purposes any brand of cap of similar type and value will do.

17. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Very rare. Those caps never fail, unless they are cheap ‘lytics. Here, I don’t think so :)

18. Arkless Electronics

Yes. One channel may have been louder due to the program material and tweeters don't blow at a precisely defined power level. Very unlikely indeed to be a faulty cap.

19. Arkless Electronics

Oh you remembered there's a capacitor in series after claiming it was DC then? :rolleyes:

20. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Be quick getting some replacement tweeters whilst they are still available