advertisement

Fatal Audiophile comparison errors!

With regard to the OP's post, yes, there are some issues with subjective listening tests, but none the less, that is how we expect our equipment to do the task we assign it. So it cannot be said that subjective listening is invalid; it is in essence the only valid assessment.

There are considerable problems with blind (and double-blind) listening tests as well. Ignoring for the moment that I rarely see proper double-blind tests actually performed (making the results invalid from the pure objectivist point of view right from the start, yet conveniently ignored in most cases), there is the fundamental issue that untrained listeners prefer low-fi to mid-fi and mid-fi to hi-fi (as proven as far back as the 1940's)(1) and that those same listeners, if broken into three groups, where one group is exposed to HiFi for a period of time, one group is exposed to Mid-Fi for the same period of time, and the third (control group) is left alone with no listening exposure, then the group exposed to HiFi suddenly prefers the HiFi, the second group now prefers the Mid-Fi and the control group remains preferring the LoFi (experiment done in the 1950's to expand on the conclusions of the first). Conclusion: people prefer what they are used to hearing, but can be trained to listen for quality reproduction.(2)

It amazes me we still are dragging this dead cat around 65 years later and that some insist they can "prove" the cat is still alive.

1: Howard A Chinn and Phillip Eisenberg, CBS
System was identical, studio-grade components (0.3% THD) but frequency-response limited as follows:
40~10,000 Hz
80~7,000 Hz
180~4,000 Hz

2: E. Kirk, Ohio State University
Six weeks duration between first experiment (which duplicated Chinn/Eisenberg and had the same result) and second phase.

DBT was used to determine that fully compressed MP3 is the same as CD quality. The most blunting test available. According to DBT why is he selling anything other than an iPod ... major BS

The same as measuring a high impedance circuit with 1K OhmPV multimeter

Have a link?
I will take a look.

I imagine any electrically identical cables will have equal affect on a given piece of hifi equipment, not all are designed equal though, there seems no perfect cable out there which everyone uses.
A cable should transmit the signal with as little degradation as possible, it's most probably this level of degradation we hear which marks out certain cables from another, along with what effect the cable has on an individual piece of equipment, I doubt there is a piece of equipment out there that is immune to electrical degradation of a signal, it's more about limiting it, the higher you go, I would imagine the aim is to eliminate it altogether, of course this is not the whole story as to what makes good hifi, design is far more important I feel & why I have heard many a budget set up sound on equal terms & improve on hifi costing 10 times the amount, power is probably the only area where you may have to splash out more for quality., if you need 300watts per side, I imagine you will have to pay for it.

The problem lies in your fundamental premise. "Degradation of signal in a cable" In any competent cable there is no degradation. if there was it would be trivially simple to measure and allow one to characterise it. But most of us engineers do not believe in signal degradation over the sort of cables and distances and frequencies involved. Can you point to any report showing such 'degradation'? I have not seen any.

Check out the speaker cable thread on diy audio for real world examples. The conclusion, bugger all difference. Worth a read

Plenty here regarding analogue signal transmission

https://www.omega.co.uk/literature/transactions/volume2/analogsignal.html

Important bit to answer your question....."However, when a data acquisition system is transmitting low level analog signals over wires, some signal degradation is unavoidable and will occur due to noise and electrical interference. Noise and signal degradation are two basic problems in analog signal transmission".
Interconnects in Hifi are not 'low level' signal transmitters. MC cartridge connections might just fall into that category. Line levels and speaker cables certainly do not. Again your reference fails to provide any evidence - just s statement. Find some evidence - someone please!

If degradation was something that could be i'mproved' with better design you would see plenty of supporting data from cable manufacturers. You don't. Have you ever wondered why? - it because they cannot show any such thing. I will not bother asking for it from them - but you might like to if you are curious.

Interconnects in Hifi are not 'low level' signal transmitters. MC cartridge connections might just fall into that category. Line levels and speaker cables certainly do not. Again your reference fails to provide any evidence - just s statement. Find some evidence - someone please!

If degradation was something that could be i'mproved' with better design you would see plenty of supporting data from cable manufacturers. You don't. Have you ever wondered why? - it because they cannot show any such thing. I will not bother asking for it from them - but you might like to if you are curious.
I had a feeling you may say this :D
You need to explain why the noise mentioned in the article at low level will have zero impact on an interconnect cable, rather than just dismissing, be much more interesting.

Also, read the last line, it sums matters up nicely.

Maybe you could contact the source of the article for confirmation, much more prudent than asking me, I can assure you.

What is your line of engineering out of interest.
I imagine reading & taking in what is written in a professionally laid out paper is not on the list of priorities :rolleyes:

"Noise is defined as any unwanted electrical or magnetic phenomena that corrupt a message signal. Noise can be categorized into two broad categories based on the source-internal noise and external noise. While internal noise is generated by components associated with the signal itself, external noise results when natural or man-made electrical or magnetic phenomena influence the signal as it is being transmitted. Noise limits the ability to correctly identify the sent message and therefore limits information transfer. Some of the sources of internal and external noise include:

Electromagnetic interference (EMI);
Radio-frequency interference (RFI);
Leakage paths at the input terminals;
Turbulent signals from other instruments;
Electrical charge pickup from power sources;
Switching of high-current loads in nearby wiring;
Self-heating due to resistance changes;
Arcs;
Lightning bolts;
Electrical motors;
High-frequency transients and pulses passing into the equipment;
Improper wiring and installation;
Signal conversion error; and
Uncontrollable process disturbances"

Clear enough?

You need to explain why the noise mentioned in the article at low level will have zero impact on an interconnect cable, rather than just dismissing, be much more interesting.

Also from the article you link to:

Whether the noise is detrimental to the proper performance of the system depends on the ratio of the total signal power to the total noise level. This is referred to as the signal-to-noise ratio. If the signal power is large in comparison to the noise signal, the noise can often times be ignored.

The article you refer to is in reference to, A/ absolutes, and B/ transmission over long distances. Transmission of a robust signal in a low noise environment over a distance of only a metre are outside of its scope.

What’s your point? Just because something can happen doesn’t mean that it is, or even, if it is, that the effects are audible. Linking to articles describing basic fundamentals doesn’t support your position, it’s up to you to draw out conclusions you believe support your beliefs.

OK, rather than merely Googling articles covering basic electronic theory, may I suggest to you that if you have an actual point to make you do so without resorting to patronising, or condescending to, your fellow contributors. If you don’t actually understand the issues sufficiently to argue them directly please don’t assume that links related to, but not specificic to, selected articles is sufficient to support your position because it, quite obviously, is not.

Probably best to check sofa position first....

But the prices for some of these cables are ridiculous," says Ethan Winer, author of the myth-dispelling book The Audio Expert. He believes that the most compelling reason people are easily fooled into thinking a new audio cable improves the sound is the frailty of human hearing. "As much as we'd like to believe otherwise," he says, "our hearing memory is surprisingly short term. This makes it very difficult to know if subtle differences are real or imagined. Another factor is that the frequency spectrum reaching your ears can change over very small distances in a room."

In other words, the position you're sitting on your sofa could have a more profound effect on the sound than any speaker cable "or power cable!" adds Winer. "Some sell for $20,000. I imagine some salespeople believe this bullshit, but others know full well they are scamming people and yet they do it anyway."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...it-worth-splashing-out-on-cables-8685983.html

https://www.passlabs.com/press/speaker-cables-science-or-snake-oil

https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/...facts_behind_the_hype_about_loudspeaker_wire/

There are 21 components of errors and Degree of Comparison ( Component 12) is one of them. Where does good become better or better become the best depends on how and where it is used. Sounds simple ,but more often than not, you will find yourself caught up. After watching this video, you can easily identify errors pertaining to this type. Happy Learning!" Tutuapp 9apps Showbox u r the smartest of the all...nd nice lecture

I knew a guy who was well into audio, and a classic audiophile, running on blind faith. He had a basic lack of scientific knowledge, and was convinced he could hear things that couldn't possibly exist. I appreciated where he was coming from because as a youngster I'd been there, but being more naturally critical, grew out of it. Lucky for me...

The poor chap was in his early twenties and was thousands of pounds in debt because of his habit, which was encouraged by unscrupulous dealers foisting cables costing hundreds of pounds on him. He had a power cable that cost £600!

Audiophile charlatanism can have deeply negative effects.

I can only applaud Keith's attempt to poke a little fun, and try and educate, the classic stereotypical audiophile.

advertisement

Back