advertisement

Fancy robbing a bank or post office? Take your car.

Is it an urban myth about the police cars being souped up special versions of the cars that sell to Joe Public? A mate reckons they have shorter ratio boxes fitted so street pursuits? BS?

A friend of mine works in the garage for Essex police. They don’t make any performance modifications to theirs but they are very well cared for and regularly checked over and serviced beyond normal requirements.

For the motorways and high speed stuff they just select the appropriate quick BMW or Volvo.

When they first get them in there is a lot of preparation work such as the added electrics mentioned above and configuring the interior and storage etc to be appropriate and safe.

Not sure if they beef up batteries and alternators or see the issues from the OP, I’ll ask.

There should no car that cannot be sat at idle for as long as you want and then be driven as fast as it can. If certain expensive marques fail so easily it is either a failure in design or manufacture or abuse by the drivers.

Given BMWs probably suffer that treatment every day in Germany, I suspect the latter.

I had a mate who had an Accord Type R back in the day, imagine his surprise after travelling the length of the country to turn up only to find an RS speed certification label on the standard speedo. After some enquiries turns out it was originally a marked car but then used in a more covert fashion, he even found a pic online in its full livery!

There should no car that cannot be sat at idle for as long as you want and then be driven as fast as it can. If certain expensive marques fail so easily it is either a failure in design or manufacture or abuse by the drivers.

Given BMWs probably suffer that treatment every day in Germany, I suspect the latter.
You’re wrong, but hey ho.

Not sure if they beef up batteries and alternators or see the issues from the OP, I’ll ask.

They certainly have to have an alternator capable of providing more power for all the extra electronics / electrical items installed. In the past, that usually meant an aftermarket upgrade in the workshops but now, probably part of the 'Police spec' that BMW make to each constabulary's needs. That 'police spec' does not mean anything special with the engine but it's the only way to get SE 'poverty spec' with the bigger diesel engines: basic air-con, cloth (non sports) seats, sat-nav delete, smaller wheels etc.

advertisement

Back