advertisement

Fall Song that end with 30 seconds of whistling

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
A question, not a thread.

I went to see Steward Lee last night. Between sets they played a Fall album. One of the tracks ended with 30 seconds of whistling and I just cant place it. Any idea what it was?

Lee was amazing btw - a comic who plays Can and and The Fall between sets and name checks Coltrane, Ayler, Sonny Murray in his act. It ages since I laughed so much.

Racking my brains but can't think of one. I'd be interested to hear the answer if you find it.

Any lyrics?
Does MES sound youthful or gruff and v slurry ( late fall) ?

Over the theatre PA it sounded a bit like Can playing rockabilly fronted by MES, which i realise doesnt narrow it down much. It was followed by a track with a female vocal ( Brix?)

I'm about to do a Qobuz trawl.

Just had a very enjoyable few hours dipping into every Fall album I don't know to try to locate the track - no luck at all.

Still, time very well spent regardless.

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Von Sudenfed album he did? Some high pitched stuff going on but don’t think it’s whistling

Yes there are far worse ways of spending a morning!
Is it worth dropping a line to Stewart Lee? If he can be reached I get the feeling he's the sort who would be happy to help.

MES provided guest vocals for a few bands/ side projects. None of the ones I know (inspiral carpets and something like 'mouse on mars') fit the bill but there might be others.

Thats the one I had in mind, not sure where I got the mouse bit!
Its been a while since I played it, its worth checking, but I don't think you'll find it there.

The only one I can think of with whistling is 15 Ways on Middle Class Revolt, but I don't think it fits the bill - not a Brix album

Yes there are far worse ways of spending a morning!
Is it worth dropping a line to Stewart Lee? If he can be reached I get the feeling he's the sort who would be happy to help.

MES provided guest vocals for a few bands/ side projects. None of the ones I know (inspiral carpets and something like 'mouse on mars') fit the bill but there might be others.
I've written to the theatre as he's playing there all week. I'll post an update if they get back to me.

That reminds me of a time when I was at the Phono club in Leeds way back, they played a song that I hadn’t heard and the next week went into Crash records to try and describe it to the amused assistant as a female vocalist with gnomes on it singing about a chain gang.

…Anyway we got there in the end as big hollow man by Danielle Dax. Phew

advertisement

Back