advertisement

Falcon LS3/5a

What do you think is an optimal distance from the front wall where the midrange isn't muddied but there is still a bit of bass reinforcement?

I have my Falcon LS3/5a’s 23cm from the rear of the speaker to the wall. This gives me the best balance in my room. As Tony said optimal placement will vary room to room.

@Graham H

You can purchase the Gold label crossover separately on the Falcon website and fit it yourself. Don’t know if you can get them to retro fit it to the silver label speakers on your behalf though. I certainly won’t be bothering.

I read that all brand new Falcon LS3/a sold since January 2020 have the new crossover anyway.

@Graham H

You can purchase the Gold label crossover separately on the Falcon website and fit it yourself. Don’t know if you can get them to retro fit it to the silver label speakers on your behalf though. I certainly won’t be bothering.

I read that all brand new Falcon LS3/a sold since January 2020 have the new crossover anyway.

I have some new gold labels incoming shortly - what’s the rest of your system if I may ask ? Apologies you’ve already posted it somewhere and I’ve missed it ...

I have my Falcon LS3/5a’s 23cm from the rear of the speaker to the wall. This gives me the best balance in my room. As Tony said optimal placement will vary room to room.

I can’t get mine that close to the wall because I’d then be too far from them which wouldn’t be ideal. I’m using my Falcons in a room that was a good size for the Harbeth M30.1 (which I still have). I took the Falcons upstairs to the small study/storage room and they sounded probably better up there. They still sound great in the larger room downstairs fed by the Quad 34/303.

I have some new gold labels incoming shortly - what’s the rest of your system if I may ask ? Apologies you’ve already posted it somewhere and I’ve missed it ...

I’ve posted some pics in the Systems 2020 thread but here’s a list:

Technics SL-1200G - Audio Technica VM540ML/H
Roon Nucleus - Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra - Pro-Ject DAC Box S2+
QUAD 34 - QUAD 3O3
Falcon LS3/5a / Harbeth M30.1
Mark Grant/Van Damme cables

@Graham H

You can purchase the Gold label crossover separately on the Falcon website and fit it yourself.

To be honest it was an idle thought, I’m perfectly happy with them as they are. I think the money could be better used elsewhere in the system - I’m currently contemplating adding a Chord DAC to my Innuous streamer.

To be honest it was an idle thought, I’m perfectly happy with them as they are. I think the money could be better used elsewhere in the system - I’m currently contemplating adding a Chord DAC to my Innuous streamer.

I won’t be upgrading mine either. If it ain’t broke and all that.

I would try and get to hear a Chord DAC in your system for a few days before buying one if I were you. Had one a few years ago and it took away a lot more than it added.

I won’t be upgrading mine either. If it ain’t broke and all that.

I would try and get to hear a Chord DAC in your system for a few days before buying one if I were you. Had one a few years ago and it took away a lot more than it added.

And they’re very expensive for the perceivable difference they make too.

advertisement

Back