advertisement

Factory sample, not for sale...

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
Appears as a sticky on an LP I have just acquired - Soft Machine , Bundles.

Who would this be aimed at ? Is it worth zillions like those stamps with defects etc.

Thanks

Paul

I got a number of lps like that from the EMI Research Labs archive a few years ago. They put these stickers on test pressings to make sure there are no faults on the masters before stamping thousands.

AFAIK they are not worth any more than other copies - but there is a chance that the lp will have not been played much if you get it from an archive.

alan

It plays mint but then so did the other four albums I bought off ebay at the same time from same person; only rated at Ex+ - is this a record [sic] ?

Glad to know its not worth Zillions, I wouldn't like to be changed by all that money though I suspect my wife would.

Paul

We have a number of these. IMHO it's not a guarantee of unbeatable quality, but it does surely tend to mean that the pressing was made from an early stamper, which is always A Good Thing. All of ours thus marked do play rather well, regardless of how they look!

Wierdly, I also have one CD thus marked (Curandero (Miguel Espinoza, Ty Burhoe, Bela Fleck, Kai Echhardt): "Aras") which is one of those disks that actually makes a very good case for CD as it is truly excellent. Naturally, it's out of print...

Best;

Mark

There was one on ebay Germany yesterday -
Pink FLoyd - Saucerful of Secrets, White Pressing,
First German release -
went over 140 EUR ...

crazy collectors

Cheers
Gernot

I could be wrong here, but I think the "not for resale" thing is different from so-called "white label" copies. Tony could probably clarify, but AFAIK a "white label" is a fully functional pressing in plain packaging (and centre label) rushed out prior to official release to allow radio stations, etc. to get the music on the air.

The "not for resale" sticker (or more often, an embossed "stamp" in gold) seems to be added to normally-packaged goods with all lyric sheets, photography, etc. intact.

Best;

Mark

There is always the chance that the factory sample has a fault. That is why they are not for sale!

When I got mine from the EMI archive, I had to donate some money to charity, as they were not selling them!

I think Mark EJ is right about white labels or promo copies - they are not the same thing.

Hi,

White labels are something different. They are early pressings which are of a limited run. They appear before the record gets a general release. They are usually a promo item to promote the artists forthcoming releases or gigs. They get sent to people in the music industry such as radio & club DJs, Radio & Tv stations, shops, promotors. They are also test pressings again on a limited run & maybe to test a tune or song.

White label are usually a test bed for the forthcoming music hence the minimal packaging. In most cases it just a record with a white label in a plain sleeve. Sometimes there maybe some print or a sticker on the label or sleeve, other case they may be some writing on it.

In a number of cases, they have different stuff (song & mixes) to the general release. They can become very collectable.

After this or at the same time, you get promos. These are special releases to promote the music of the artist. These usually come with proper labels & packaging. (This packaging can be well over the top in some cases.)

Again, it is common to get different or more pieces of music on a promo. These are given, again to various people in the music industry to help promote the acts. Promo item have an unique label number which is different from the general release. A release may get a promo run from a few 10s to many 1000s. Also a release may get a number of different promos each featuring maybe different songs & mixes for different markets and different covers & extras.

You as get items with stickers on them saying 'Promotional copy only NOT FOR RESALE'. Most of these are normal releases & no different to what's on general sale. These get sent out to promote an act.

I have a few records with the 'Factory sample' sticker on them. These will be like the records with the promo stickers on them. In most cases are like the items on general sale. I do thinks these may be also test production runs for quality.

There are also acetates knocking around. These are early test pressings which are cut a material that wears out after a few plays. These are done usually to try a record out very quickly after it has been made. These are rare. DJs use them to get a tune played before anyone else.

Dean

I find that "promo only not for resale" and (based on the one I have) "factory sample" LPs seem to use better vinyl than general release stuff - they seem to be less crackly and have less surface noise...

I got EMF's Schubert Dip for 3 quid last week on "factory sample" vinyl and it sounds bloody amazing -well impressed...

My dad worked for a recording and cutting studio in London in the 60's and brought a few acetates home. One was Tom Jones, Pussy Cat Pussy Cat. Fortunately, we played it to death.

Mick

advertisement

Back