advertisement

Factory Records Exhibition, Manchester

I went along today. Whilst I wouldn't describe it as an unmissable exhibition, if you are interested in /a fan of the era then there is a good selection of memorabilia to look through. I enjoyed the video footage of performances at the end.

What's a little clunky is that you have to book tickets to the exhibition but also coinciding tickets to MOSI itself, as part of their covid visitor numbers control.

Very much looking forward to having a look at this. I’m a volunteer at SIM (I’m on the SSEM computer exhibit), but I’m not cleared to go back in yet. I’ll have a look at it once I’ve been reprogrammed (mid-July).

They certainly have some decent Factory assets to call on as Tony Wilson bequeathed them his collection.

For someone new to the scene there's a lot of general info on the development of the label, bands, music etc. But what I liked are the handwritten notes at the time... Such as a receipt for a few hundred quid for A joy division gig.

Also to be honest, after all the covid constraints of the last 18 months, just being in a room with a bunch of people you've something in common with is pleasant in itself

I saw the exhibition in it's fledgling form at The Chelsea Space in 2019. I have a copy of the 'King Kong' Factory Club poster for gigs by Culture and Joy Division. It was labelled artist unknown. I told them that it was the work of renowned Liverpool artist Steve Hardstaff. Hopefully he now gets the credit deserved.

I saw the exhibition in it's fledgling form at The Chelsea Space in 2019. I have a copy of the 'King Kong' Factory Club poster for gigs by Culture and Joy Division. It was labelled artist unknown. I told them that it was the work of renowned Liverpool artist Steve Hardstaff. Hopefully he now gets the credit deserved.
I took a photo of that poster in the exhibition but the last line of the accompanying description is cut off so I can’t see if there is a credit.

advertisement

Back