advertisement

Factory Records Documentary on BBC4 Friday 21st September

Gerard124

pfm Member
There is a 90 minute Factory Records Documentary on BBC4 this Friday evening (21st September)

BBC have a mini site for the program http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/factory/

Factory: Manchester from Joy Division...
...to Happy Mondays

In a dark, northern city in the late 70s, five dreamers built a record label - Factory; three classic bands - Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays, and Britain's first super club - The Hacienda.

Led by Tony Wilson, they created a unique collision between conceptual art and street music. This is the story of how a TV presenter, an out of work actor, an art student, a DJ and an aspiring record producer pioneered Britain's independent pop culture, imagined a new Manchester, and blew a shed-load of money.

Produced and directed by Chris Rodley in the last three months and featuring an extensive interview with Factory's creative genius, Anthony Wilson, who sadly died on Friday, August 10, 2007, this 90 documentary celebrates the triumph, tragedy and human comedy that was Factory and is a fitting tribute to Wilson's contribution to British pop culture and to Manchester.

Sat 22 Sep, 02:20-03:50 90mins Stereo Widescreen

If anyone is interested, I have a long cherished copy of a program that celebrated Tony Wilson's 'So It Goes' program with clips of the bands he promoted on the program. I've very recently archived it to avi - 3 parts totalling a bit over 1 gig.

Thought it was very good to.Gave a good feel of the times..If you have virgin its on there replay thing.

But all that "Joy Division", "New Order", "A Certain Ratio" stuff was a bit dodgy wasn't it - did that get touched on?

It's also appeared as a torrent on Isohunt, I'm downloading it now as it's good enough to keep and watch again IMO - some great footage and interviews with those involved.

Tony.

I'll try Isohunt but normally these BBC4 music progs are repeated sooner rather than later and often even get to BBC1

Section 25 too!

No sign of the Stockholm Monsters comeback though.

DS

OTD - Helios Creed - Superior Catholic Finger

Must admit despite being a huge fan of a lot of this stuff I found it all a bit dull. There wasn't really anything I hadn't heard/read about before. Maybe 24 Hour Party People wasn't just the comedy version after all!

Cheers

Rich

If anyone is interested, I have a long cherished copy of a program that celebrated Tony Wilson's 'So It Goes' program with clips of the bands he promoted on the program. I've very recently archived it to avi - 3 parts totalling a bit over 1 gig.

If it's the one that starts with the Sex Pistols and ends with Joy Division, I for one am VERY interested. I taped it off the telly in 1986(?) - lent it out a few years later and never saw it again. Grrrr. There's a lesson.

advertisement

Back