advertisement

Facebook marketplace and cheap amps....

Alvarado

pfm Member
I am looking for a good quality entry level amp for my nephew. I have found a Creek 4140 S2 on there

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:d9b08087-3035-4df9-9b95-9c991696a970

I'm told its been boxed in the loft for 20 years and the guy can't test it 'cos he's got no other kit and no power lead. What could possibly go wrong? Answer quite a lot, of course, but then again, it's only £20. Even if it's busted it might be repairable so it might be worth a go.

However - how does FB market place work? I send the seller bloke the money to his bank account, he sends the box, I have to trust that it will arrive? Does it come any more advanced than that?

They are good amps. It's worth taking a chance on it for £20

Ask the seller if they can package it up for you to arrange carriage. Pay by PayPal if you can and cover the fees.

I am looking for a good quality entry level amp for my nephew. I have found a Creek 4140 S2 on there

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4098505036921796/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:d9b08087-3035-4df9-9b95-9c991696a970

I'm told its been boxed in the loft for 20 years and the guy can't test it 'cos he's got no other kit and no power lead. What could possibly go wrong? Answer quite a lot, of course, but then again, it's only £20. Even if it's busted it might be repairable so it might be worth a go.

However - how does FB market place work? I send the seller bloke the money to his bank account, he sends the box, I have to trust that it will arrive? Does it come any more advanced than that?

NEVER send anything as a bank transfer. Simple as.

Pay with PayPal (not friends and family).

If you're unsure then wait until you can find something local enough to collect. When I sell on FB it's for collection, if someone wants it posted I'll only accept payment by Paypal friends & family as I'm not going to run the risk of some idiot making a chargeback.

Reactions: irb
These little amps are gems so can’t go wrong at that low price no matter the payment arrangement. Grab it and get it serviced if required would be my advice, well worth it.

Why wouldn't you send anything as a bank transfer? I guess your point is there is a risk its a scam. But what if I want to send my mate a bank transfer, must I NEVER DO THAT!?

There is a context to this conversation that you have clearly not observed.

I would never send a bank transfer to someone off facebook marketplace, what a ridiculous notion, I would never recommend others do either, and I would encourage them not to, as I did.

Are you drunk or something tonight or just being dense?

No you were being hyperbolic and I did not understand why. Also you are quite offensive, perhaps you need to read the AUP?

I'm told its been boxed in the loft for 20 years and the guy can't test it 'cos he's got no other kit and no power lead.

I have a Creek tuner from about that era - it has a captive power lead, think the 4140 does too. Perhaps he has no electricity ;)

How about accepting bank transfers on Facebook marketplace? First time I tried it, faultless and a real gentleman buyer.
However, there are clearly some scams going on but I haven't worked out their method yet.

I have a Creek tuner from about that era - it has a captive power lead, think the 4140 does too. Perhaps he has no electricity ;)

Well , it's sold now, and worth a punt for £20. However the photo shows that a kettle lead would be required.

He doesn't have a kettle? :rolleyes:

No you were being hyperbolic and I did not understand why. Also you are quite offensive, perhaps you need to read the AUP?

No, I wasn't , you just didnt understand the context, and tried to ridicule because of your own short comings.

If you had read the thread, you wouldn't have needed to question, apology accepted.

Facebook marketplace is RIFE with scammers - they don't usually bother with small amounts, they tend to target couple of hundred quid upwards amounts from what I've seen, I've bought off FB marketplace, there are some wonderful people to deal with, there are some right scumbags. It's only ever been collection in person, cash on collection after careful examination. Treat it the same way you would deal with a gumtree sale - extreme caution.

How about accepting bank transfers on Facebook marketplace? First time I tried it, faultless and a real gentleman buyer.
However, there are clearly some scams going on but I haven't worked out their method yet.

There is obviously honest people out there, but theres also a fair amount of those that arent. Sure £20 may be affordable to lose, but whenever sending a BT, you are basically trusting a person you'e never met with the ability to make fake Facebook accounts at the press of a few buttons your own money. You know absolutely nothing about the 'person' and they may not even exist, always a risk!

I once got done for a tenner on AV forums from a long term member which I mistakingly sent a BT too as he was a long standing member- so honestly, it happens for any amount of money! I had checked his details he gave me though with a few other people who he traded with in person, and then found him on Facebook, and let his family know he owned me the money. It was quickly repaid afterwards.

FB market is a safe environment if you're an honest seller. I sell my lego on FB market and it works for me. You get a lot of enquiries and people who don't have the courtesy to reply if they are no longer interested, but that even happens here on pfm.
I even post stuff out but only if payment is by bank transfer. Most people are happy with that, but there again I do have a good fb feedback rating.
I never accept paypal because it is such a buyers charter and I don 't want to get scammed.

advertisement

Back