advertisement

Extraordinary potential for wind

I've stopped buying Goya chickpeas, the batch of hummus I'm eating right now was my last can.

That's a deeply unsettling expression on Drumpf's face. And why is he wearing a flat cap indoors?

Which part of the word carnivore does she not understand? She'll kill it with sheer stupidity.
Aren't domestic dogs omnivores? Tinkerbell eats just about anything, including horse shit. Anyway, she has a balanced diet of vegan dog food, fish, meat and eggs. She is sixteen years old and still catches squirrels, rats and mice and is in good health. I just wish she didn't fart quite so much.

Quite possibly.

My son's hippy partner - who's dog she technically is (but that is a whole other story) has recently insisted that she be put on a vegan dog food diet which, out of sympathy with the poor creature, I have felt duty bound to supplement with tins of tuna, pilchards and the occasional hard boiled egg.

Lifestyle shaming!!!!!! TRIGGERED!!!:mad::eek:o_O

Aren't domestic dogs omnivores? Tinkerbell eats just about anything, including horse shit. Anyway, she has a balanced diet of vegan dog food, fish, meat and eggs. She is sixteen years old and still catches squirrels, rats and mice and is in good health. I just wish she didn't fart quite so much.
Correct. Wild dogs and foxes are not exclusively carnivorous either. They will eat fruit etc. Cats are true carnivores, they lack sweet taste buds. Dogs don't, which is why they will eat sweet things.

Did he really say that he wants the UK to be 'the Saudi Arabia of wind power'? I don't understand the analogy. I'm hoping that he's aware that, unlike oil, you can't actually export the wind, so he must be talking about the technology for harnessing it. However, the Middle East buy in the technology from elsewhere to get the oil out of the ground.

Is there a link between our power grid and the French one? I presume that the French grid is linked to the German one as they love each other so much.
Yes, there's a European wide grid. And it's not always as resilient as ours: https://hackaday.com/2018/03/09/eur...sagging-frequency-and-international-politics/

We have several DC interconnects to Europe, the main one being the French one which is nearly always importing 2GW of nice clean French Nuclear power from them.

Did he really say that he wants the UK to be 'the Saudi Arabia of wind power'? I don't understand the analogy. I'm hoping that he's aware that, unlike oil, you can't actually export the wind, so he must be talking about the technology for harnessing it. However, the Middle East buy in the technology from elsewhere to get the oil out of the ground.
I think you're pushing the soundbite too far.

@2ManyBoxes @MJS There are two electricity grids serving the United Kingdom; The GB National Grid, managed by National Grid plc which covers Britain and outlying islands, and the Irish National Grid, managed by the Irish company EirGrid, which handles power system management for Northern Ireland.

A DC interconnect between NI and Scotland, and a second between Dublin and Wales handle power transfer, but these are a relatively new development, and prior to 2000, energy supply was independently managed.

France and Germany are both part of the Continental European Synchronous Area, which spans 24 countries (including Turkey, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia) and has over 400 million metering points (the largest in the world) - Scandinavia and the Baltic States have their own separate grids.

But have a look at Japan: because electricity remained a private business in Japan with little unification post-war, the country has ten separate synchronous areas today, three of which operate at 50 Hz, while the remainder operate at 60 Hz.

To slowly swing back on-topic, interconnection between Europe and North Africa is a major goal to improve the viability of wind energy: because Europe receives most of its wind in Summer, while North Africa is windy in Winter, but electricity demand is opposite that pattern in both areas (cooling is the major power consumer in Africa, while heating is the big load in Europe), interconnection allows surplus wind power to be pushed into the grid for use, rather than foregone.

Oh Lord. First I saw this...

Then below it, this...
Most here probably don't get the cultural significance of that photo.
...followed by this...
I am one of them. Care to enlighten me/us?
...and when I saw this I was totally confused...
It's the gatefold photo from an album that was popular in 1973 - ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres".
...and it took me ten minutes going through all the posts and carefully pressing the little green upwards-pointing arrows before I could work it all out.

advertisement

Back