advertisement

Extending speaker cable

Neil Gilbert

pfm Member
I am thinking of moving my hifi/av system and the only problem I have is the rear speakers which run through the attic down a side wall and the cable will not stretch to the new position. It would be a complete pain to rewire and attempt to squeeze the new cable down the inside of the walls. It was originally wired when the room was done.

I would like to extend the existing cable, it's a simple looking pink cable from sonance and even with my limited DIY skills looks easy enough to splice.

Is there any audible downside to this?

Is it better to splice and insulate or invest in a RCA coupler?

Cheers
Neil

No. As long as the total length is less than, say approximately 50 feet and the splice is a good one.

Louballoo

Have you considered attaching a new, longer cable to the old one and using the old one to pull it through? Or one of those stiff/flexible nylon pilot wires that electricians use?
Otherwise soldering well and covering with insulating tape should be fine.

Yes I have but there are several wires already down a narrow gap and it involves me getting face down where the roof meets the side of the house and spreading myself across raised timber
It's not something I am desperate to do .

Solder some 4mm (insuated) sockets on your existing cable and some 4mm bannana plugs on the new cable and plug them together , job done.

advertisement

Back