advertisement

Exposure XX regulated

audiopile

pfm Member
A friend gave me back one of my favorite amps this weekend -a Exposure XX regulated integrated amp. This was modded by the US importer and has a Zobel network installed on the speaker outputs (what else -if anything-they changed is not obvious). The interesting thing is I sold him this amp after I found a XXV (pretty much same amp with remote control) -within a week -I wanted the modded XX back (took about 5 years). I'm just curious - is this XX regulated 35 or 60 wpc ?

If its not a Super XX its around 40-50 watt
(Matters little really)
Great little amp and great build

I believe the XXV was technically quite different apart from added remote.

A pity the mods though I'd remove it if possible, Farlowe knew what he was doing back then, no need for a Zobel, just a good lenght of speakerwire

It's got a label on the back plate that says GC transfomers -someone told me these were the importers of Exposure into the states for awhile 30 or more years ago ? I am inclined to leave it alone - while I'm always curious about "why" something sounds good/great - with this piece I'll just be happy it works. I assume the Zobel was added to make it less sensitive to speaker cabeling ? I did buy some Exposure speaker wire when I had this amp -perhaps because of the Zobel-this didn't seem to make any difference on this particular amp.

Yes, the 25 did away with the line stage circuitry.

Personally I'd be whipping out that Zobel, can only assume it was put there to solve some wierd system issue.

The SuperXX is a very musical amp, but you need to put up with the source break-through and bass light balance.

Inaccurate info (from me) label is G&D transforms -what that means exactly ? Pulled cover and looked it over -other than the obvious Zobel on the speaker outputs it looks stock to me -transformer is 120V -made by Exposure- as are the caps -board shows made in 92 and is marked as XX model. Output transistors are also Exposure (mystery? transistors) one ending in P and the other in N per channel ( PNP and NPN )-the third transistor on each channels heat sink is I assume a regulator ? Has Exposure or Farlowe every released a schematic or service info on this amp ? Internally this is a very pretty

file.php

advertisement

Back