advertisement

Exposure and B&W

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Anyone using exposure electronics with b&w speakers?

when i had my previous rega elex-r I demoed both 704 and 703 s2 floorstanders. I liked a lot of what they did, good presence and detail and really liked the look of them. However, found them a little bright in the upper mids / treble, so not a relaxing listen.

currently using the exposure 3010S2D and it is neutral to warm particularly with vocals and cured a little sibilance I was experiencing with my current speakers so may retry the b&w’ as I will need some floorstanders once we redecorate our lounge.

thanks

Personally, I would avoid any metal tweeter with Exposure fearing it would be overly bright, soft fabric tweeter is the way to go IMO.

Personally, I would avoid any metal tweeter with Exposure fearing it would be overly bright, soft fabric tweeter is the way to go IMO.
Thanks. See I was thinking the opposite, as exposure is warm in the highs I would think it might tame the b&w’s but you could be right of course

No experience of Brady Exposure with B&W but Farlowe Exposure worked well with some of the B&W models.
P4 & P6, Matrix 805, CDM1 for example.

Yeah I don’t think metal tweeter equals bright and soft dome equals warm, all in the implementation of it. I have Neat momentum sx3i and it is a nice warm presentation with the exposure.

recently had some 607s2 here , was expecting them to be a bit bright [ although i have had b&w stuff for decades ] was very impressed indeed about their smoothness , lovely with vocals and piano . far far better than i expected. i am sure they will be great with exposure too

I really liked my 685 s2’s and never found them bright. Had them with a older marantz amp and later with a rega brio, brio was a good pairing I thought.

demoed the 704 and 703 recently-ish, in truth don’t remember the 704’s being bright but just a bit disjointed, sounded a little like a small speaker with a sub but was an exciting listen and did enjoy them. 703 were bright with my amp but really liked their presence and big sound.

Sure we have different taste, and that's fine, I'd never even consider replace my Neat speakers with anything from B&W.

For me it comes down to a combination of looks, sound and cost. Though in future I intend to buy used as you loose so much money if you buy new and later upgrade.

Different B&W models do not sound the same. The treble of the B&W N805 sounds rolled off to my ears with an overall warm sound which is lacking in detail.

Also, I think it is a generalisation that metal dome tweeters sound bright and therefore best avoided with bright sounding amps. Several Harbeth speakers use metal dome tweeters and they all don't sound bright to me. If I'm not mistaken, the P3ESR, C7ES3 and Super HL5+ all use metal tweeters.

So to answer your question, I suppose it would be fine to use the Exposure 3010S2D with B&W speakers. I once used Krell KAV-300i with the N805 and it still sounded warm, not bright. The Krell is a bright sounding amp but the warmth of the N805 nullified the brightness.

advertisement

Back