advertisement

Exposure amps but what cables?

I’ve tried most of the above and would say it’s a toss up between the exposure original black cable or naim nac5. The naim offers superb bass and is actually a bit taker sounding which would make sense knowing their amps have a brighter signature. I have also had very good results with cable talk bi wire 4.2 and some higher end ecosse cables.

Very good sounding LS cable on my 13 years old Exposure XXXV Int is 2x 3,5m Exposure DMF-two (5.5 mm2)
Linn K20 sounds more clear but less realistic, less 3-D

Yes I think the ol Exposure brown interconnect was made by cable talk and I had used one before on the older Farlowe range. It was a good cable. I guess as I'm using Cable Talk at the moment it's not a lot different. Not sure what one I use just that it's orange in colour.

I tried a few, mostly home-made, I/C's with my Super XX. Bugger all difference.

Tried NVA LS5(just before I sold the Expo), bugger all difference.

The LS5 did make a substantial diff. with my Denon amp tho'. Still can't believe it. And, yes, I have re-visited.

Go figure.

I use old Cable Talk 3.1 in 4 metre runs which is a bit of a pain what with both of the speakers being within a metre of the amps.:confused:
I use old Exposure amps.
I tried Linn and Naim cables, no improvement so sold them and stuck with the Cable Talk, cheapest of the three also and you should be able to pick it up for less than £5 a metre terminated. I wouldn’t pay more.

I tried Linn and Naim cables, no improvement so sold them and stuck with the Cable Talk...

It's probably so similar in construction that it makes no difference. Most thick multi-strand copper speaker cables sound much the same. Naim A5 sounds a bit better but night and day it ain't.

The only cable that made a 'difference' for me when using my Exposure amps was Chord Signature, when compared to standard Exposure speaker cable. Whatever the inductance, resistance and capacitance characteristics of these cables, my preference in my system was for the Chord cables - at a price.

While we’re on the subject of Speaker cabling for Exposure amps, do you need the cable ‘stretched out’
I.e. not overlapping or is it safe to gather together in a neat bundle behind the speakers?

I have always been weary of the cables overlapping. It would be fabulous to be able to put it in a bundle, my wife would be so happy if I could.

A happy period would ensue.

Exposure speaker cable is pretty much identical to Linn K20, Naim A4 and a few other multi-stranded copper cables and they all sound exactly the same too.
LK20 isn't "pretty much identical" to NACA4, it *is* identical. As in it comes from the same manufacturer (BICC) to the same spec and is an existing cable sold for lighting and used by the kilometer by the military in the 70s/80s.

Yes you can leave spare cables in a loose coil behind your speakers. Say a loose coil of 12" diameter.

76374d9e2a67bc8c3afcdaa582a3a431e996bf65.jpeg

LK20 isn't "pretty much identical" to NACA4, it *is* identical. As in it comes from the same manufacturer (BICC) to the same spec and is an existing cable sold for lighting and used by the kilometer by the military in the 70s/80s.

Yes I understood they were exactly the same cable just in different coloured sheathing. White - Linn, Black - Exposure, Black or White - Naim. The original Cable Talk, Talk 3 cables were the same too from my recollection.

I use Exposure XLR interconnect between 18 amp/19 preamp and Exposure RCA interconnect between 19 preamp/13 phono preamp.

I'm using a biwire set of Linn K20 between MA GX300s and Exposure 3010S2 monoblocks. Sounds better to me than NACA5.

Interconnects by Audioquest, don't remember the name of them.

I'm using a biwire set of Linn K20 between MA GX300s and Exposure 3010S2 monoblocks. Sounds better to me than NACA5.

Interconnects by Audioquest, don't remember the name of them.
Interesting about the K20, I have the same results here with a 32.5/Hicap/110.
In fact, since I installed these Linn cables, it stopped me from upgraditis.
The best Audioquest interconnect I heard was the one with their DBS system. Never bought them though and don’t intend to.

My Soundstring speaker cables sounded great with Exposure 17/18. They've seen many component changes and seen off a number of other cables including Kimber 12TC. Way better than Naim btw.

advertisement

Back