advertisement

Exposure amps but what cables?

puddlesplasher

pfm Member
As a very long time user of Exposure amplifiers I have always used cable talk interconnects but curious as what others use with their setup and with what results.

I don’t think it’s important what interconnects you use, so try a few, but I do believe you have to careful with Exposure amps when choosing speaker cable. Others will understand the technical reasons why.

With Farlowe era stuff I started with Exposures own, then made some from high quality microphone cables, we're talking a very tiny outlay, and forget which plugs but a few notches up from basic.
Later settled on original Nordost Blue Heaven. I only ever used Exposure's own speaker cable.

Chord chorus between pre and powers my first choice for many years. Was expensive way back. Got my sets second hand. Used with 17 and 21 pre into 18 type amps. Can be got for sensible money these days so you can get a pair and compare with exposure brown xlr which may actually be cable talk ?
See what you think. Different ? Better ? Also mogami 2534 worth a shot. Between my opus 21 and exposure pre amps. Chord anthem original. Every time. Also used between a cds3 and nac 52.

I've used NVA LS5 speaker cable for years and it suits various Exposure amps very well. Better than Expo, Naim, Linn cable and many more expensive alternatives too. At the moment I use Linn Silver and Atlas Mavros interconnets and they work fine with Exposure gear.

I'm currently running a 5010 pre/power set with Chord Shawline interconnects. They sound absolutely great here but more than that I like the way that the red jacket looks with the black casework and red LEDs.

I’ve attended several audio expos and auditioned EXPOSURE mated with all VAN DEN HUL (...IC, speaker. dunno about the mains cable...) and SPENDOR speakers.

I’d use sensible, well made, sensibly well priced Mark Grant ICs for anything, including Exposure. Mogami is good too but can get expensive unless you do it yourself or have friends that can.

I have an Exposure 3010 amplifier myself.
Was satisfied with the Exposure DF2 speaker cable so far.
Since I use Shahinian speakers I now have the Mogami 2972 cable on it.
The Mogami is a very big gain in sound.

I don’t think it’s important what interconnects you use, so try a few, but I do believe you have to careful with Exposure amps when choosing speaker cable. Others will understand the technical reasons why.
This is because Exp amps are not "unconditionally stable" rather like amps from Naim and (iirc) NVA. This can cause the amp to go into oscillation which causes internal damage to output transistors. This is the result of the amps not having a Thiele network on the output, so they rely on the inductance and resistance of long speaker cables to provide this.
This network is often inaccurately described as a Zobel Network, which is something else.

The things you learn eh? I recently bought a 2010s from a fellow member and only this week learned I should've tested it before turning it on and now that it is cable-sensitive.

Does anyone know if that's still the case for more recent amps? Don't recall anything about that in the info sheet mine came with. If so is 7m long enough?

Thankfully mine is in fine fettle, but it is quite sensitive on the phono input - powerlines caused it to crackle and hum so I've got rid of those, but there is still a slight hum when the LED ceiling down lights are on in the room. That likely to be DC noise?

Hi vInce, tried them all but always go back to the original brown XLR ( not balanced though) between my 16 monos and new 5010 pre. Speaker cables are standard black exposure cables. Other cables have added this or that, possibly smoother but nothing touches the standard cables for pure grin inducing musicality!
Stephen

advertisement

Back