advertisement

Exposure 6/7/8 vs the Integrateds?

Gromit

Plasticine Dog
Yes folks, another thread about those black boxes of Brighton.

Quick question for those who've heard/owned these - perceived wisdom (not always correct of course) would say a pre-power, especially with a separate psu giving juice to the pre/phonostage, should be a better amp than an all-in-one. However would this be the case with the Exposure amps, knowing JF's ability to build a damn good supply into the integrated to start with?

I've only ever gone from a Super XV to a full Dual VI/VII/IV Dual which was a significant upgrade, but know little or nothing about the littlest Exposure power amp(s) and who that compares with its similar power output integrated brothers (in this case it'll be my straight XV).

Thanks.

having 15s, 17 plus 18s and 11+ 9 plus 4dr I could say just the regulated seperates are an upgrade from the integrated. the integrated are realy outstanding!

regards
f.s

having 15s, 17 plus 18s and 11+ 9 plus 4dr I could say just the regulated seperates are an upgrade from the integrated. the integrated are realy outstanding!

regards
f.s

Hi Fred - it would appear that the regulated units are better than non-reg, whether they are in pre-power or integrated form. There does seem some argument over whether the VI is a regulated supply or not? I do remember moving from a pair of VI's to a single XII to power my VII Dual and it was a definite upgrade.

One nice thing about the VII though is the switchable MM/MC input - more for convenience though. The MC input on the XV is staggeringly good.

Yes folks, another thread about those black boxes of Brighton.

Quick question for those who've heard/owned these - perceived wisdom (not always correct of course) would say a pre-power, especially with a separate psu giving juice to the pre/phonostage, should be a better amp than an all-in-one. However would this be the case with the Exposure amps, knowing JF's ability to build a damn good supply into the integrated to start with?

I've only ever gone from a Super XV to a full Dual VI/VII/IV Dual which was a significant upgrade, but know little or nothing about the littlest Exposure power amp(s) and who that compares with its similar power output integrated brothers (in this case it'll be my straight XV).

Thanks.

The 6,7,8 would be the 3 box setup from the early 90's ?

I had that set up back then on a home demo. Sadly it was less musical and enjoyable than my IncaTech Claymore integrated... So it went back to the shop... I was helping out in the shop, so under no obligation etc....

I then tried a Linn Kairn + LK280 Spark ... The Kairn was only recently out... It was better than the Exposure and less aggressive than the Naim 42/Hicap/
140 I also compared it with.

I'd say the newer integrated would be better than an old 6/7/8

Hi!

Had the XV (both flavors, the non-Super and later on the Super) and a VII & VIII combo and prefered the integrated amps. To be fair: The VII was powered by the power amp which might be a bottleneck – But my experience is (now owning regulated VIII monos), that the regulation in the power amps make at least the same difference as a outboard PSU for the pre.
And there the XV comes in again as it's power amp IS regulated. I'd go for the XV.

Cheers from Cologne

Allways liked the Farlowe Integrated but the X was very noisy

The hot spot is early XV for some reason ?
Give it a Planar 3 and some easy Royds and laugh all the way home, it will piss on the million shiny boom boxes, given it will provide the fundamental Things like prat and tonality along with bass needed for most replay and medium room size, soundstage a town in russia who wants that anyway.

Heard a late XX super at a friends place, ok nice but when we put on his 160/32.5 that was muuuch better

Thanks for the input guys - what you're saying does tend to echo what I'm reading around the www

The XV I have at the moment sounds superb, and used well within its power limits is a lovely thing and makes my Royds sing very sweetly - as it does also with the Q2010i's. Would love to put it up against a good Super XV (which I have owned in the past) as it would appear there are those who prefer it to its more powerful brother. The 'straight' XV doesn't have the ragged edge, front row presentation of the X either, and is a much more rounded device as a result (I can listen to Palestrina for starters). Maybe the XV is truly the sweet spot?

Thanks for the input guys - what you're saying does tend to echo what I'm reading around the www

The XV I have at the moment sounds superb, and used well within its power limits is a lovely thing and makes my Royds sing very sweetly - as it does also with the Q2010i's. Would love to put it up against a good Super XV (which I have owned in the past) as it would appear there are those who prefer it to its more powerful brother. The 'straight' XV doesn't have the ragged edge, front row presentation of the X either, and is a much more rounded device as a result (I can listen to Palestrina for starters). Maybe the XV is truly the sweet spot?

Yes it is. Stop there. I have owned all the Farlowe amps the exception being the 16 monos. The 15 super is by far the biggest bang for the buck. Perhaps my favourite. Plus it's less boxes. While I love my 17/21 18 super 4 dr in various combos, there is always a smile on my face when I am listening to the 15. It is magical

Yes it is. Stop there. I have owned all the Farlowe amps the exception being the 16 monos. The 15 super is by far the biggest bang for the buck. Perhaps my favourite. Plus it's less boxes. While I love my 17/21 18 super 4 dr in various combos, there is always a smile on my face when I am listening to the 15. It is magical

I'd agree re the pre-powers. I've had the following - not as many as you though:

2x6/Dual 7/4 Dual
12/11/4 Dual
9/14/4 Dual-reg'd
21/2x18 Mono reg'd

They were all fabulous, although the 9/14/4DR was a slight disappointment. Perhaps I expected more, having waited for one for such a long time.

The XV though is fabulous - I have a friend who bought my old CB Nait 2 many years ago and has just had it fully serviced by Naim. He's bringing it up to my place some time soon to compare against the Exposure - should be fun! :)

The XV though is fabulous - I have a friend who bought my old CB Nait 2 many years ago and has just had it fully serviced by Naim. He's bringing it up to my place some time soon to compare against the Exposure - should be fun! :)

Did you ever try this Grommit?

Did you ever try this Grommit?

Sadly not had the time to try this yet, but we will do soon all being well. I do have a nice 42.5/110 here though which has been an interesting experiment. Will post some thoughts later as not at home at the moment.

advertisement

Back