advertisement

Expensive early vinyl reissues, worth the cost ?

I am a complete numpty when it comes to buying vinyl. Wouldn't know a 1st pressing if it bit me on the ass. If I want it I buy it. Can't remember what I already have most of the time so end up with two copies sometimes.

I think if you're prepared to pay 'big money' then might as well go for a first issue in mint or excellent condition, if you're going to buy a reissue then might as well go for a current new pressing, although I've a few hundred preowned records mostly bought at record fairs I only would really be interested in new sealed LPs nowadays, if I can't get one or I'm not prepared to pay the asking price I'll do without or buy the CD.

I've run out of space to buy stuff now and just stream things I'd normally have wanted to collect and own. Example - Porcupine Tree. I was late to the party but the vinyl reissues are plagued with bad pressings and the originals are silly money. Even the recent 2018 Cd remastered reissues are hard to find.

Cue Amazon Music HD and 192 /24 for £6.50 a month.

The Sky moves sideways sounded bloody phenomenal today. And that's what it's all about for me. If it sounds good. It is.

I think if you're prepared to pay 'big money' then might as well go for a first issue in mint or excellent condition, if you're going to buy a reissue then might as well go for a current new pressing, although I've a few hundred preowned records mostly bought at record fairs I only would really be interested in new sealed LPs nowadays, if I can't get one or I'm not prepared to pay the asking price I'll do without or buy the CD.

pretty much my thoughts at the moment regarding reissues

Just as bad are some charity shops. I have one near me with the occasional album I would like but not at their inflated prices. When I have queried these or made an offer they just pull out a copy of the annual "Record Collectors Guide" and quote that - despite being ignorant of condition, release details etc. There is also a used vinyl / CD store that uses the same approach but is very knowledgeable and asks for an "offer" which, if sensible and not too greedy, will generally be accepted especially if several purchases are involved.

I use Discogs to help price vinyl at the shop I work at but I always price about 20% cheaper than their lowest comparable example because a lot of vinyl is a niche market and I like to move the stock. Even so, I still get people whinging about the prices sometimes - but I think they feel entitled to buy at prices which allow them to sell on for even more.

I wonder how much it depends on genre and era. As a jazz fan I love picking up sixties blue trident label Prestige pressings for a tenner. Partly because I think they sound bigger and fuller than reissues. But partly just because paste back sleeves and RVG stamps make me happy - they're The Real Thing.

advertisement

Back