advertisement

Excessive dust collecting on new vinyl

Duane Goldman aka the Disc Doctor recommends moderate vacum cycling. To many and static will build up again, your record will gather dust etc.
My experience (using the Disc Doctor fluid with a Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM) is that more than one revoution can already be a problem. The records may be not completely dry after one revolution. But as the Disc Doctor procedure includes two final rinsing cycles with distilled water that is ok. Not sure about fluids that ar not combined with a rinsing cycle. I suppose it is not recommended to leave any residue of the cleaning fluid.

Ah, I don't have a "tube". My Nitty Gritty has a slot, lined with felt pads. 3 revolutions is enough to take the moisture away (this is looking through clear-but-coloured vinyl) so I do 3 1/2, just to make sure. :)

Regards,

Andy

The KAB- EV1 does the same job and is from the same stable as the Nitty Gritty. I think the problem some experience may be down to the felt on the slot and also on the spreader. I modified both spreader and slot by removing the original felt pads and substituting microfibre cloth. No problems with this. Instructions on how to modify the KAB- EV1 are given in a thread I posted a while back. In the meanwhile you could try revolving much more slowly.

Sonddek's post is useful, and I will try his suggestions. However, my understanding is that 5" is too close; I thought that 12-18 inches was the recommended distance?

Sonddek's post is useful, and I will try his suggestions. However, my understanding is that 5" is too close; I thought that 12-18 inches was the recommended distance?

I've been using it like that for many years with no ill effects. Obviously you want to avoid any kind of arcing, which might burn holes in the vinyl. I expect that more squeezes and patience would compensate for greater distance, since I suppose Brownian motion and convection will attenuate the amount of charge reaching the surface of the record from greater distance. Sharpening the needle tip is critical. A coarse and jagged needle tip, free of oxidisation will dramatically increase the successful spraying of electrons. It's like a tunnelling microscope in that respect; jagged point topology produces dramatic peaks of voltage with a consequently dramatic improvement in ionisation. Old zerostats can be brought to life by just scraping the needle point on another hard object.

I've been using it like that for many years with no ill effects. Obviously you want to avoid any kind of arcing, which might burn holes in the vinyl. I expect that more squeezes and patience would compensate for greater distance, since I suppose Brownian motion and convection will attenuate the amount of charge reaching the surface of the record from greater distance. Sharpening the needle tip is critical. A coarse and jagged needle tip, free of oxidisation will dramatically increase the successful spraying of electrons. It's like a tunnelling microscope in that respect; jagged point topology produces dramatic peaks of voltage with a consequently dramatic improvement in ionisation. Old zerostats can be brought to life by just scraping the needle point on another hard object.

What is the safe way to remove needle from Zerostat? And what to use as a sharpener?

Regards,
Rolandas

What is the safe way to remove needle from Zerostat? And what to use as a sharpener?

Regards,
Rolandas

I have looked up my Zerostat file. I emerges that I have purchased three pistols; one in July 19974, another January 1981 and the third on October 1989.

I have reread the manufacturer’s instructions. There is no mention of sharpening the point. Where do you get this idea from?

I might try it, since I have never thought to sharpen the point.

The Operating Procedure is given in the instructions as:

“…Hold the pistol 250 to 500 mm (10 to 20 inches) from the surface to be treated, pointing directly at it..."

I tried the trick of breathing on the record yesterday while holding the pistol 5 inches from it. At least it did not charge up the record, so there must be something in this method.

I await advice on how to sharpen the pin.

It emerges that I have purchased three pistols; one in July 19974, another January 1981 and the third on October 1989.

I have reread the manufacturer’s instructions. There is no mention of sharpening the point.

Go figure. Kerching!

Where did you get this idea?

From scanned tunnelling microscopes (STMs). The resolution of these devices is so high because protrusions a few atoms thick project a far higher electric field gradient than expected (and quantum tunnelling falls off dramatically with distance). They only discovered this by crashing the STM needle into the sample. They thought the needle was ruined, but were shocked afterwards to find an image of the actual atomic grid on their screens, a level of resolution that was considered impossible. Jagged and very sharp points can project very concentrated electric fields. Air ionisation requires very high voltages.

I await advice on how to sharpen the pin.

Take the side of the matchbox which you normally use for cleaning your stylus and scrape it across the needle point in any direction. Or a small stone. Or other piece of metal. Anything hard, really. I normally use the file on my Leatherman. There's no need to dismantle the plastic casing or remove the needle if you use a needle file. Depending on the humidity and salt content of air where you live, the need to do this will vary in frequency. But even if you do it every week you are likely to notice a difference in the effectiveness of the zerostat.

I bought my zerostat in about 1984. It gradually lost its potency until it could barely produce a spark. I took it apart but did not have the knowledge back then to understand why it was moribund. Later when I was studying STM's I applied the theory to the needle and found the zerostat was better than new. The piezo-electrics don't seem to deteriorate at all. It's all in the needle point. Here's a picture of mine showing how it has looked for 20 years or more:

Device without plastic casing:
1.jpg

Needle point close-ups, with bonus swarf:
2.jpg

3.jpg

Electrical tape to reduce charge leakage:
4.jpg

As you can see, it's not necessary to sharpen very carefully. In fact, if you can get a bit of swarf to extend from the tip it will only help. Oxidisation elsewhere on the electical parts is welcome as it will reduce voltage leakage elsewhere. I put a bit of electrical tape around the solder where the wire meets the crystal tube as this helps to reduce sparks jumping to your hands and the metal chassis.

You know as soon as it is working well because if you spray it towards your nose you can smell the sea.

One word of warning: this device is designed to produce very high voltages. You could probably trash your phono stage, or even other electronics in your system if you allowed it to discharge into the arm tube or cartridge.

sonddeck

Fascinating!. Thanks. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I cannot recall ever seeing a spark emerge from a Zerostat.

I will sharpen up and report back.

BTW, one more point, if you'll excuse the pun: one reason why I like the zerostat is that it is a non-contact sport. In my opinion, those using brushes to 'clean' their records are doing the opposite. The filaments can only produce a downwards pressure into the groove. The dust that you see coming off the record was never really a problem because it was surface dust, unlikely ever to come into contact with the stylus which only has contact with the deep groove. The majority of dust in the deep groove is only going to be further entrenched by a brush. Having been firmly wedged into the bottom of the groove by the brush's downforce, the stylus can now finish the job off by stamping it into the plastic with its enormous pressure. Brushes are for paint.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I cannot recall ever seeing a spark emerge from a Zerostat.

After sharpening your needle, hold it two millimetres from your scrotum and squeeze the trigger hard. You will notice the spark.

sonddeck

By "brushes" do you mean, for example, carbon fibre ones? Or any ones?

Does your stricture include wet cleaning where the wet record being dried is pressed against felt (or in my case microfibre)?

By "brushes" do you mean, for example, carbon fibre ones? Or any ones?

I can not imagine a brush design that would not serve to push dust from the flats into the grooves. Carbon fibres are very thin, so they are especially good at this.

Does your stricture include wet cleaning where the wet record being dried is pressed against felt (or in my case microfibre)?

I don't know enough about wet cleaning, but the only method I've read about which I didn't find alarming was the GEM Dandy one. Of course, it may cause problems due to water impurity, but I doubt the levels are high enough to matter in most people's domestic supplies. Brushes and wet cleaning on machines seem to me to be a great way to get all the flat dust into the grooves where you don't want it.

Reading this thread makes me realise just what a total pain in the arse getting decent results from a LP disc was. Thank f8ck for digital, I say.

Chris

Ah - it's all part of the fun...

My Zerostat DEFINITELY produces a spark - I noticed it the first time I used it :) Shooting records is kind-of therapeutic :)

Well I missed out on the Zerostat on ebay the other day, so my Nick Ayoub LP is still making my hair stand on end and dragging the dust mat of the TT. I still can't remember this happening before with a new record, but perhaps I've just not noticed.

What's the opposite of rubbing a record on your jumper? I'm not buying a whole bunch of accessories just for this bit of Canadian jazz.

What's the opposite of rubbing a record on your jumper?

Water vapour is quite a good neutraliser of static, as water molecules are electric dipoles. Your breath is a ready source of moist air. Also, if you wash your hands well, and hold onto a tap (for earthing) with one hand while gently padding your other hand across the record you should be able to neutralise quite a lot of static. Touch the record gently though, as firm pressure will deposit hand oils into the grooves. Get back to me to let me know how well this works. It ought to. You could also place the record on an earthed metal plate and try to ensure contact over large areas. I don't know if there would be enough contact to make a difference though.

advertisement

Back