advertisement

Excellent interview with John Siau of Benchmark Audio

“For a variety of reasons, switch-mode power supplies are vastly superior to linear supplies when building high-performance audio systems.”

:rolleyes::D:eek:

Turns out you can measure the effect of speaker connectors!
I'd like to see what they measure and the figures.

FWIW I'm a firm believer in contact cleanliness. For instance, whenever I've cleaned banana plugs and sockets after leaving them for a year or so, the system has always sounded better. I also believe that bare wire in binding posts gives a better sound than bananas. I was surprised at the improvement when I tried it recently.

I'd like to see what they measure and the figures.

FWIW I'm a firm believer in contact cleanliness. For instance, whenever I've cleaned banana plugs and sockets after leaving them for a year or so, the system has always sounded better. I also believe that bare wire in binding posts gives a better sound than bananas. I was surprised at the improvement when I tried it recently.

“When we try to measure the THD of the AHB2 amplifier, we can do this easily when using the SpeakOn connectors because they make a reliable low-resistance connection. If we attempt the same measurement with spade lugs, we often have to clean the spade lugs and retighten them to get the same measured performance. The spade connection can produce more distortion than the entire AHB2 amplifier! Forget about spring-loaded banana plugs, these are terrible. However, we have found that we can get very reliable and repeatable performance when using locking banana plugs.”

- John Siau, from the interview linked to in my first post.

I agree with him on class AB amplifiers, I have always preferred class A, error correcting and non switching designs.

advertisement

Back