advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

A quick synopsis of my time with the M-50.

Tonally I found the amp very slightly on the rich side of neutral which I appreciated, with very solid images of performers presented, totally non-fatiguing, natural and with nice texture to instruments and voices. Bass definition is a notable feature, it can really track the pitch of notes. It was easy to hear it was class A in character yet didn’t sound disjointed or slow as I’ve found some pure class A amps can.

It particularly gelled with my turntable as source.

Compared to my usual Audiolab 8300XP (140/230 watt 8/4 ohm) you could detect the difference in horsepower as a comparative slight lack in dynamics which is understandable given the differences in power supply and output devices but I guess an M100 would address that!

Big thanks to Colin and Alan for the loan programme.

Last edited:
Apologies for the tardy post concerning my time with the LS-40 speaker cables. Big thank you to Alan for loaning them out and allowing me extra time to listen.

Tracks used for auditioning:

Gretchan Peters;
This used to be my town.
If heaven.

Joni Mitchell;
The dry cleaner from Des Moines.

Karrin Allyson;
Every thing must change.

Mary Gauthier;
God damn HIV.
Last of the Hobo Kings.

My 6m x 4m listening room has double glazed glass on three sides on a 1m high rendered block wall. The Speaker end has single glazed doors with side windows into the kitchen.
Window boards covered in around 20 assorted orchids plus other plants, a wooden dining table and chairs and two rattan sofas and a chair.

My speakers cables were from Missing Link, many years ago. Silver plated copper in a soft black rubber insulation. One is 7.5m long and the other 2.5m. Speakers are Audio Physic Virgo 25, chosen after listening to many many brands including home auditions. The first speakers that really worked in the room.

Amp is Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with Room Perfect. Sources, Vortex box streaming flacs & quobuz and an Audio Analogue Paganini cd player.

After listening to all of the above tracks with my existing set up I swapped over to the loan cables, immediate thoughts were an increase in volume, with more and better defined bass. Everything sounded cleaner and crisper, I listened to a couple of tracks and swapped the cables back. Bemusement, it sounded exactly the same, bizarrely though I still perceived an increase in volume when I swapped back to the LS-40. I then played a track using my pad as a peak hold spectrum analyser, despite what I thought I could hear there was no difference in the peak dB readings. I then changed only my left (2.5m) channel cable to the LS-40 and listened again, sounded the same with no shift in left to right image.
I stopped listening at this point as I couldn't reliably draw any conclusions. However I had been suffering with a 10 day bout of migraine attacks and these do affect my hearing, fortunately Alan was kind enough to allow me to keep hold of the cables for a while. I didn't re visit them until returning from a surprise trip away with my good lady, this entailed a good deal of relaxation, a bottle of veuve clicquot and some medicinal canoodeling.

Feeling much relaxed and recharged I sat down to listen again. After about five minutes I realised what I had heard before as increased bass, volume etc was infact nothing of the sort, what these cables did for me was to remove an imperceptible amount of smear around every note, bringing each note into crystalline focus. Once I had identified what I was hearing I realised they created realistic spatial images around instruments and vocalists, with my eyes shut I could sense her standing in 3D. Without the smearing every note was easier to diserne, female voices were exquisite, I have heard Tina May live, sitting 4' from her so I know how she sounds in the flesh, these cables were a revelation to me.

Why haven't I purchased them ? Firstly the cost, due the lengths I require it would be ruinously expensive. Secondly, I was only aware of the smere issue once I'd tried the LS-40 and it doesn't take long to have forgotten the improvement. If my room was acoustically better and not joined to the kitchen so I have to listen to the oven and extractor through the door and if I had the readies under the mattress maybe. Mind you, I get to take a lump sum when I retire, I am very tempted.
Thanks Alan.

Hey ABC, I wouldn’t mind being added onto the cable loan please, which ones would be most suitable for the system I’ll be guided by you - I would like to try with the MF1000 and the Impulse Taus. Currently using VD LC-OFC 6mm x 6m each side.

Furthermore the RCA package including the USB cable could be of benefit for a review.

I still have the LS-80s. Life has intruded and I have had no time as yet to compare with my existing cables.
My aim is to get them in the post to the next person on the list by Monday at the absolute latest.
I hope that this is OK - I know I have had the LS-80s longer than I should.
I am seriously considering buying a set of LS-80s so do want to give them a good trial.

This is a very subjective thread, and we welcome that of course. Below are the basic specs of the EWA cable range, as measured last week. In time, I hope Colin will be able to arrange additional information, like phase angle changes etc (as that's where EWA shows itself to be unique), but that's a way off. And it requires a lot of expensive stock being tied up as it needs a 3M minimum of each product.

Testing EWA cables.

Test Equipment

AIM LCR Databridge 401

All cables tested in 1 metre lengths and at 1KHz

MCS 5
  • Resistance Live = 0.1mΩ
  • Resistance Return = 0.1mΩ
  • Earth = 2.3 mΩ
  • E-N Capacitance = 200pF
  • E-L Capacitance = 200pF
  • N-L Capacitance = 100pF
  • L inductance = 1.2µH
  • N inductance = 1.2µH
  • E inductance = 1.1µH

MCS 2.5

• Resistance Live = 2.1mΩ
  • Resistance Return = 2.1mΩ
  • Earth = 2.3 mΩ
  • E-N Capacitance = 2pF
  • E-L Capacitance = 1.7pF
  • N-L Capacitance = 3.8pF
  • L inductance = 1.2µH
  • N inductance = 1.2µH
  • E inductance = 1.1µH

IC-25:

• Capacitance = 3.8pF
  • Signal inductance = 1.3µH
  • Return inductance = 1.5µH
  • Signal Resistance = 2.1mΩ
  • Ground Resistance = 2.1mΩ
Digital IC-25 features additional networks attached to the basic cable.

IC-40:

• Capacitance = 3.1pF
  • Signal inductance = 1.2 µH
  • Return inductance = 1.4 µH
  • Signal Resistance = Less than 2mΩ
  • Return Resistance = Less than 6mΩ
Digital IC-40 features active circuitry and filtering added to the basic cable.

Interconnect EWA Starting Point (new):
  • Capacitance = 100pF
  • Signal Inductance = 1.0 µH inductance
  • Signal Resistance = 2.5mΩ
  • Return Inductance = 1.3 µH
  • Return Resistance = 5mΩ

Speaker cables:

Speaker Cables Starting point: Not available for test

LS-25

• L = 1.1 µH
  • C = 19.5pF
  • R = 4mR x 10
  • Common mode inductance = 0.5 µH

LS-40
  • L = 0.8 µH
  • C = 18.4Pf
  • R = 1mR x 10
  • Common mode inductance = less than 0.4 µH

LS-80:
  • L = 1.0 µH
  • C = 34pF
  • R = N/A (too low to measure)
  • Common mode inductance = N/A (too low to measure)

Alan, I’m next on the list for the interconnects but I don’t have much time just at present so could you move me to the end of the list please. Cheers
Ian

Claymore is with me and sounding great, thanks @IVELIN

First impressions, it seems to capture the energy in the music really well, bass and percussion hits etc.

If anyone wants a listen ask @Alan Brown to put you on the list -- I believe I'm the last one.

Thank you chaps for keeping this all running smoothly! Just added @matfff to the M-50 trial list.

And yes - should anyone want to hear either a Claymore of LS-40, I think they are both at the end of their current lists! get in touch...

advertisement

Back