advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

Is the A40 a power amp or integrated? I can't see it on the EWA website - are there any specs, price and pics of the amp?

Mixed box on its way to Chris Marshall. RMSD should get it tomorrow will send Chris the tracking and post some feedback this evening.

Is the A40 a power amp or integrated? I can't see it on the EWA website - are there any specs, price and pics of the amp?

There will not much information about the A-40 for some time, especially not on ABCaudio, until it is released as a finished product. In an earlier post, we explained that these amps that have been sold (there is one more available I think) are pre-production amps in a half-decent case. There were several variations that were tested, and the best configuration was adopted for the future (and the test amps modified to the final specification). There are over seven hundred parts in an A-40, the component cost is around £1700. To complete the project we will be designing a chassis/case, and we hope to have a range of amplifiers all ready to roll this year. The M-50 is an amazing amplifier, but the A-40 is really just better, and sounds more powerful.

The amps that are out there right now are around 40W into 8ohms, they double into four ohms and again into two, making 200W into one ohm; with both channels driven, and are able to do so all day long. They are P/P class A with a strong emphasis on current. With a customized chassis and bigger heatsinks, the final product will probably be a bit more powerful. Probably a 40W integrated, 50W stereo power, and 80W monoblocks. The pre-amplifier will be very special as well. Then the monster, which replaces the current M-100/WB series, which is what Colin is working on today.

There are no thoughts on prices yet, they are being designed not quite as cost-no-object amplifiers but certainly not down to a price point.

Ok so I had the EWA reference power cord in the system for the last 2 weeks. Used feeding the Lyngdorf TDAI3400 from my Isotek sigmas g2.

First off it's a very flexible cord and looks good with the outer braided shield weave.

I put this in my system and basically left it there best part of 2 weeks as I had just bought a coherent RTZ ground plane system with 4 leads plugged into the amp, was getting used to the new and improved sound quality that the RTZ brings. I spent a couple of days near the end switching between my regular home brew cord and the EWA cord listening to the same material on you tube and Qobuz.

My regular homebrew cord is furutech rhodium plated plug with ncf, the cable is Oyaide black mamba 2 and the IEC is Oyaide C004 palldium and platinum plated beryllium copper. I've also got a couple of tweaks that I won't disclose going on in there.

The sound differences between the 2 cords are extremely subtle, there are differences though in both bass control, tonality and HF extension. I would say Colin's cord has ever so slightly tighter bass but I think the home brew edges it on HF extension. The tonality differences are there but very subtle and I'm not sure which is actually better. I suspect it might be down to the connector plating differences but I really don't know.

Overall I don't think the difference is enough for me to be reaching for my wallet just yet but I might try another listen down the line if I get another socket in (to try the amp directly to the wall) or if I change my power conditioner.

What I can say though is its very good , certainly way better than stock cords and some early isotek efforts I usef to run. The one big advantage is that Colins one meets all the regulations and my one does not, that's something else that may spur me to revisit this too.

Finally just want to say a big thanks to Alan and Colin for having faith in the pfm members to allow people to try products like this. I'm still absolutely delighted with the LS 80s.

Chris did text me to say he got the cables.

One final point for Alan and I think it's been mentioned before, if you can keep the boxes under 2kg with all packaging RMSD charges are less than £15. I do think that this is the best way to send any items from a risk perspective.

Cheers

Disco

Hi, would someone please PM me Alan's surname, I'd like to post something for him this morning.
Thanks, mart.

My turn, I have the LS-40 and the mixed box of cables here right now.

Firstly, many thanks to Alan and Colin for the tour and allowing us to compare these cables in our own systems, it's much easier than trying to do that in a dealers.

The system I'm comparing them in is:

WT Simplex with Hana SL
Dynavector P75 Mk4
Chord Mojo dac
Accuphase E-308 amplifier
Graham Audio LS3/5 speakers on solidsteel stands.

This is all in a small upstairs bedroom

The LS-40 are easy to sum up, a definite step up from the TQ black II that I normally use. I was not 100% sure at first but over time the improvement has become clear. They give much more solid yet clearer bass lines, much easier to hear what bass players are doing and also seem to remove some harshness for mid sounds (that I didn't know were there before!), everything sounds both clearer and smoother at the same time. Overall very nice and I will be discussing with Alan about how the LS25 might compare with the restricted low end of the Grahams for my next upgrade.

I'm only really able to use the rca interconnects from the mixed box, so far I haven't heard the same clear differences compared to the TQ black I normally but I have only had these a couple of days so will be doing some more comparisons and will give a further update.

I'm last on the list for both these boxes so if anyone else is interested they can be with you this coming week.

cheers

Chris

Just to follow up, I’ve ordered a pair of LS-25 which should be with me any day.

Alan was very helpful guiding me with best connectors for my Accuphase amp, even if in the end I’ve gone for Z-plugs.

The tour cables are back with Alan so anyone interested, get in touch.

cheers

Chris

Same here, very interested to learn when these new cables will be available?

Are there still plans for another integrated that would be similar to the M50 line?

The new integrated proto type is now up and running, trying to find a nice name and a pretty chassis, I thought Pink with Green spot but Alan hated that idea.
It looks as if it will be about 70W/Ch with AUX x 3 and MM/MC and maybe 1 balance input for those digital lie gadget things.

The new integrated proto type is now up and running, trying to find a nice name and a pretty chassis, I thought Pink with Green spot but Alan hated that idea.
It looks as if it will be about 70W/Ch with AUX x 3 and MM/MC and maybe 1 balance input for those digital lie gadget things.

How is it sounding ? :p:D. We’ll need an idea of price too so that I manage my own expectations

Having spent a few hours playing some music earlier this afternoon, I just wanted to say a couple more words on my A40 amp.
I bought this in December last year from Alan, having demoed it against the M50 amp on the trial circuit, as well as my normal Dynavector HX75 75w amp (serviced a year ago).
When I first received this amp, it had more clarity over both the M50 and HX75 and bass control and I knew straight away I had to buy it!
I hope Alan and Colin don't mind me saying that I did have some issues with it, namely loud popping on the left channel. It was sent back and worked on a couple times before Colin tracked it down to a "dry joint". Alan and Colin had both been brilliant to deal with and Colin chatted to me about the amp and many other things, a true gentleman is all I can say!
Anyway, the amp is now perfect working order and doubts stunning! My HX75 is an outstanding amp, having seen off a "new" (was about 9 months old, so well run in) 250dr amp in my system and room! The HX75 added clarity and control and brought my Compasses "to life".
The A40 has brought even more clarity and control, with the music seemingly presented in more detail and the instruments in different "layers", BUT, still with the "musicality " of the HX75. It really has opened up beautifully and drives the speakers with ease and great control.
I did buy a new IC-25 at the same time and use that between my pre and the power.
I couldn't be happier!
And just to add, as my A40 is a pre-production amp, I have no real idea as to what it's true power output is, I think it's up to about 18w class A and about 38w into 8ohms, but belive that maybe conservative, as Colin seems to "under-rate" his Amps!

Will it have remote control Colin?:)

advertisement

Back