advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

Box of 4 mixed cable items safely delivered to chez Disco.

I can only make use of the power cable , I'm going to hold off installing it for a few days as I just put in a grounding box yesterday.

Wow ! I only posted them at around 15h30 yesterday and they said they wouldn't be delivered before Monday. Good old Royal Mail. Glad they got there !

Hello again.
Time to say a few words about the A-40 amp!
I have had this since Tuesday this week and been comparing it with the M50 that I also have on trial.
Well, I had high hopes for this amp as several people have said how good it was. My very first impression after only a couple minutes, were that it sounds the same as the M50, only sweeter! Just like the Dynavector!
After a while though, I realised there was even more clarity and the bass seemed maybe not so prominent, but even better controlled.
Having used it for a few days, I believe that it has opened-up more now and the soundstage has improved and become wider and deeper and the bass has deepened too, just as much as the M50, but with added control. It has excellent clarity, very sweet sounding and still all the speed and rhythm to make it more "musical" than the other amp.
It drives my Shahinian Compasses with ease!
I did put my Dynavector HX75 back in to compare and although maybe this still has a fuller overall soundstage, it actually sounds rather muddled now and nowhere near the separation of instruments and clarity of the
A-40!
This amp was "built" over the last few weeks as I understand it and probably had minimal running time prior to me receiving it, so perhaps it still has a bit of bedding in to go.
On the first day of use, after about an hour, I did hear a couple "thuds" on the left channel, but I have not heard anything untoward since.
I see that the A-40 has xlr inputs for balanced input, but not sure which pre amp Colin had in mind to use this with, unless there is a revamped M50 pre on the drawing board?
Anyway, to sum up, so far, I'm very very impressed and it has pushed both the M50 and Dynavector into second and third place!
Christmas is coming, I may need to treat myself!

Hi John,

I am at the moment doing a bit work on super SECA pre with balance in and out and with my patented MC stage (patent now run out) based on the design I did in the late 1970,s but with far far better bits, the proto-type was amazing on vero board.

Enjoy John have a nice Christmas best Col

Thanks Colin, Happy Christmas to you and Maria too!
Thanks again to yourself and Alan for lending these lovely Amps out for us to try in our own homes!

I have posted previously about my M100TS amp and have described it as an end game piece of kit. To provide some context, I also own a pair of Neurochrome monoblocks which are absolutely fabulous, but I think my EWA amp is even better. Some months ago I bought a Benchmark AHB2 to see what all the fuss was about. (For those of you who take note of such things, the AHB2 is the best measuring amp currently available). It lasted about 2 weeks before I sold it (for more or less the same price I paid for it). It’s a great amp, but I preferred my M100TS.

I’m telling you this by way of background because Colin has sent me an A40 to try and I can confirm what others have said about this amp - it is outstanding. I’m going back and forth between it and the M100TS. Sometimes I think the M100TS has the edge and then on other occasions I think the A40 edges it. More listening is required, but what I’ve just told you is all you need to know ! :)

Hello All Merry Christmas.

PCB No1
This was the original version design for Pearl Acoustic, but in the end they did not want it, a shame but life.
It had the basic same power amp and auto start.
This is the one that Paul has made so well and pretty. Lovely layout Quickie.
There is only one of these and Paul has it.

PCB No2
The same as No1 but with Regulated Power Supply for the A Class Driver stage.
Only 3 made I have one and Alan has the has One and my Step Son Sam has the other.

PCB No3
With the fantastic results and test measurement the first two allowed me to examine, and comments from friends and colleagues about not needing the Auto start.
I did a design with four regulators on each power amp. One pair for the A Class SECA stage and a pair rated at 20Amps for the main power stage.
This later version allowed me to use both types of mother boards which has the Auto and Twin Mains Filters and Soft Start or without the Auto Start but with all the other goodies.
Now Adam has the version with all the circuits in and Ian has the version without the Auto Start, both can be made but the Auto Start version will be much more expensive.
I believe the Auto Version is doing the Tour and a Non Auto Version is.

I love my Auto Version it sound great when run from TV and Star Trek movies are on , and as I am absentminded at time and forget to switch it of and the TV it does it for me.

Both Versions run high in Class A and both version have a protection circuit to bias down hard if heatsinks get above 35C to stop burn fingers.
Both are dual Mono but have a common 250VA transformer but there own Bulk Caps and Diode Bridges and the only common part for the PSU is the zero or earth return.
The wiring is all Ag plated wire in PTFE covering. And all fuses are ceramic type.

Just a note to add the same design will also be used in a new integrated amp, the first 2 have been tested and have been running now for two years, the cost yikes a lot.
Balance and Phono in MC/MM , mine and Sams have DACs also but I will not be fitting them in the final design, has this tech digital lies keep changing every 3.142 Secs. So I leave this bit of the pie to the digital tech lads and ladies.

Well of to the shops again to buy some mangos says the boss, COMMIN DEAR.:eek:

;)

Please all stay safe.

Thanks for the clarification Col.

It’s also worth mentioning that the A40 will do 200 wpc into 1 ohm (which is probably why its articulation and control of the bottom end is so bloody marvellous). I have a pal who owns Scintillas and Col is encouraging me to try the A40 on them. That is going to happen sometime in the relatively near future . . .

I must do better than that, a mere 200W. The Inca Tech MSB did only 800W into 0.5R, thank goodness I only made one, and it was stolen then turned up on e-crap (by you nicked stuff here site) 34 yrs later.

advertisement

Back