advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

In the short time you are going to be using this set, the difference in chemical make up between socket/plug/spade will be small ( i.e. like a simple lemon battery) longer time yes and the same system yes.

Does the general recommendation to always use equal lengths of cable for each channel currently stand?

I could get away with 1x3.5m and 1x1.5m (but currently use 2x3.5m Witchhat Phantom)

Trying to think of ways to afford a pair of LS-80...
Hi Chris,

Absolutely no issue with this at all, we often supply odd lengths. The only potential drawback for you to consider is eventual resale value.

To calculate cost, look at the total length you require, in this case 5 linear metres (1.5, 3.5M). 5 linear metres is equivalent to a 2.5M stereo set, so there's your price! Any questions, please get in touch with me here, or on the ABCaudio webshop.

In the short time you are going to be using this set, the difference in chemical make up between socket/plug/spade will be small ( i.e. like a simple lemon battery) longer time yes and the same system yes.
I'm still getting my head around this, but Colin is describing a directional effect that builds up over time through use, you might hear it when you swap ends after a decent while. If you remain consistent and don't swap around repeatedly, you should be fine.

EWA speaker cables are not asymmetric in construction.

In the past, we didn't mark the speaker cables for direction at all. But every single sale resulted in a customer query on directionality, so now they are marked.

Our mains and signal cables are asymmetric, so direction matters with them.

@ABCaudio @CJ14
Alan/Colin
My LS80s have arrived! Now, my question is about directionality. How critical is the directionality - because the spade end is (in an ideal world) at the wrong end if I follow the direction arrows. I can probably make it work if the directionality makes a real difference - just thought I'd ask as getting round the back of my amp / rack isn't easy for repeat cable switching :D

Watch this space folks for more commentary in the next few days...........
I'm super glad Nick, that they are safely with you. Now I hope you enjoy them.

Note the replies above, but just try them any way you wish. They have had a couple of months use. Swapping ends can do no harm to equipment at all, let me know what you think!

l Jez or any other non cable believer would have to admit they sound like a component upgrade because that is what it feels like- plus a huge emotional attachment to the music being played.:)
I will happily trial any of these cables and give an honest review.
Don’t expect me to exaggerate my findings by exclaiming it’s like I installed a subwoofer!

My goodness ....... these LS80 speaker cables are Phenomenal! I played a full range of music - Zadok the Priest, Scott Walker, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits, Springsteen, Rebecca Pidgeon, Crowded Houae, Natalie Merchant.... they were fantastic and like I’ve never heard them before. Even the recordings I found screechy with the 40s were refined with the 80s.

They do everything already described by others - fantastic controlled but deep bass, loads of layers, the separation and vocals absolutely lifelike.

I’ll have another session tomorrow night...
Nick

My goodness ....... these LS80 speaker cables are Phenomenal! I played a full range of music - Zadok the Priest, Scott Walker, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits, Springsteen, Rebecca Pidgeon, Crowded Houae, Natalie Merchant.... they were fantastic and like I’ve never heard them before. Even the recordings I found screechy with the 40s were refined with the 80s.

They do everything already described by others - fantastic controlled but deep bass, loads of layers, the separation and vocals absolutely lifelike.

I’ll have another session tomorrow night...
Nick
Sounds like another very positive endorsement and interesting because your system is different, yet again, to those who have already reported on LS-80.

What Rega amp do you have?

The step up to LS-80 seems to be more of a leap, as everyone who tries it appears to get far more than they expected from an incremental upgrade. It plays on another level altogether and the improvements are so fundamental it is hard to compare it with other cables.

I will happily trial any of these cables and give an honest review.
Don’t expect me to exaggerate my findings by exclaiming it’s like I installed a subwoofer!

Oh dear another sceptic, cool had the same reaction all over the world with TQ. That will keep us on our toes.
But I also was a sceptic when I first made a cable on the same principles in the early 1980 and again when I did Inca Tech Gold Plated plugs and socket, strange for something that does not work how others copy.
I also hade the same when I designed a SSR (Solid State Relay) using Thyristor I could not and never would pass the very low RFI and EMC tests required, and these type of SSR must have a filter, oh wrong again guys.
This came from Crydom USA who had made SSR since the 1960 and the biggest in the world. Then they tried to buy the design in the 1990 and the patent for $20,000 it is now made by Root2 Ltd.( Google EP1130777A2.pdf )
https://seca.freeforums.net/thread/272/patents-tq-root2

@CJ14 My advice would be don't bother sending your cables to anyone on here who is an ardent cable antagonist. They can argue all day about how we cable 'believers' are constantly sucked into only hearing what we want to (therefore it isn't real) but the other way round (ie you can't hear a diffience if you don't want to believe it) can't possibly apply. PDS (plain damn stupid)

I'm a sceptic (not a cynic). I believe things when I hear them. I've heard improvements with many, many cables. Anyone who is cloth-eared enough to believe they can't posible make a difference doesn't deserve to have your valuable cables sent to them. Save them for those who have a track record of being more neutral and might be interested in buying.

Rant over....

BTW I owned Focal Diablos in the past and even though they (measure wise) only went down to 40Hz they could absolutely slam you in the stomach bass wise. I know exactly what @Cereal Killer means and can believe it. But then I'm a mere stupid believer.......

I’m new to this forum after joining week ago (a forum user from here bought a Dac from me).
Since then, I’ve come across this thread and have read it with interest, mainly because I’ve never heard of these cables before, I’ve owned Tq black 2 cables in my old system (before I moved to valves). I’m interested to know how well these would work with a 9wpc valve amp and 93db speakers?

Hello, and welcome!

Colin designed the original range for TQ, which is why those products sometimes get used as a comparison point. EWA LS-25 will take you comfortably beyond the Black range from 'the other guys' so just about any EWA cable will be superb in your system.

You've posted on the LS-80 thread, and these are much bigger and pricier. I doubt TQ have anything in any of their ranges to match. If you pop into the LS-40 thread, you can put your name down for a turn with the demo set, and see if you like them?

Fun as all this forum chat is, you should always listen for yourself if possible.

@CliffB and @ex brickie thanks for your write ups and comparisons between the 40 and the 80.

My experience with the LS40 was extremely positive but i felt i lost out only a little to my current cable (WH Phantoms) in terms of openness, possibly because the overall balance of my system enhanced the bass so much.

I loved the quality, power texture and detail of the bass from the 40s but felt that it was almost too much in my system (Townshend/ Nac52/ Dynavector HX1.2, Obelisks) - was this just me? Or if this is a common experience have you found the 80s more open?

how are they in terms of thickness and flexibility and being able to accommodate them in an average home?

Love to try these if there is a loaner set doing the rounds...

@CJ14 My advice would be don't bother sending your cables to anyone on here who is an ardent cable antagonist. They can argue all day about how we cable 'believers' are constantly sucked into only hearing what we want to (therefore it isn't real) but the other way round (ie you can't hear a diffience if you don't want to believe it) can't possibly apply. PDS (plain damn stupid)

I'm a sceptic (not a cynic). I believe things when I hear them. I've heard improvements with many, many cables. Anyone who is cloth-eared enough to believe they can't posible make a difference doesn't deserve to have your valuable cables sent to them. Save them for those who have a track record of being more neutral and might be interested in buying.

Rant over....

BTW I owned Focal Diablos in the past and even though they (measure wise) only went down to 40Hz they could absolutely slam you in the stomach bass wise. I know exactly what @Cereal Killer means and can believe it. But then I'm a mere stupid believer.......
Wow that was a bit much!
As I said, happy to demo the cables but would reiterate the fact that no cable on the planet can make your speakers reproduce the levels of bass a subwoofer can provide.
What’s the issue? If I hear no difference then I am deaf or my kit isn’t up to standard or possibly I may hear what you folks hear and have an epiphany.

@CliffB and @ex brickie thanks for your write ups and comparisons between the 40 and the 80.

My experience with the LS40 was extremely positive but i felt i lost out only a little to my current cable (WH Phantoms) in terms of openness, possibly because the overall balance of my system enhanced the bass so much.

I loved the quality, power texture and detail of the bass from the 40s but felt that it was almost too much in my system (Townshend/ Nac52/ Dynavector HX1.2, Obelisks) - was this just me? Or if this is a common experience have you found the 80s more open?

how are they in terms of thickness and flexibility and being able to accommodate them in an average home?

I had Chord Odyssey 4 cables, the main run of the cables is very similar I was expecting the LS-80s to be far more unforgiving from a physical handling perspective but really not an issue in my mind, connections are a bit stiffer at the speaker/amp end but again really not an issue with anything like standard kit or above i.e. a standard amp or speaker and not a midi system. Re some of the slightly snarky comments implying we're OTT, (I'm not on commission, never met or even spoken to Alan or Colin, just came across these cables via this forum, but damn glad I did.) You pays your money and you make your choice, there's a return policy on these so you're not selling your soul or signing your kids away to slavery.
If they were crap or meh I wouldn't have bothered posting, only doing this so people can choose to make an informed decision. I was originally a total cable sceptic until someone demonstrated otherwise, but again it's down to personal choice. I don't have a golden ear or an amazing sense of taste, or smell but I know what I like. Can I distinguish the difference these cables make to my system and enjoyment of music?...….Yes, hence why I haven't returned them, could I tell the difference between a £20 bottle of wine and a £40+ one probably not, but that's not to say others can't. In my mind music probably gives you the biggest bang for your buck, so if you're lucky enough to be able to buy these, then why the hell not but YOMV. It's sad that more often than not these sites become a platform for people to justify what they have/don't have, rather than explore what options are out there for others to make their own informed/personal decision.

Wow that was a bit much!
As I said, happy to demo the cables but would reiterate the fact that no cable on the planet can make your speakers reproduce the levels of bass a subwoofer can provide.
What’s the issue? If I hear no difference then I am deaf or my kit isn’t up to standard or possibly I may hear what you folks hear and have an epiphany.
Hi Curtis,

I'm sorry, there's no intention at all on my part to make you feel unwelcome. I don't disagree with anything you've said, nor would I expect you to exaggerate. Not sure why it came up, TBH. People are just being enthusiastic and subjective, no harm hopefully!

There is a trial set of LS-40 doing the rounds, they are not really in the same league as LS-80, under discussion here. You are welcome to join the list for a trial, although my intention was to provide a service to those interested in buying a set rather than provoke controversy. If I can help, let me know!

I'm afraid there isn't a set going around, though you're not the first to ask. Pretty expensive risk from my POV!

In terms of thickness, they are literally twinned LS-40 for the most part, with slight differences at the ends. They are stiffer, and heavier, but by no means unmanageable; there are photos on the website, perhaps someone can photograph their set in situ?

I'm afraid there isn't a set going around, though you're not the first to ask. Pretty expensive risk from my POV!

In terms of thickness, they are literally twinned LS-40 for the most part, with slight differences at the ends. They are stiffer, and heavier, but by no means unmanageable; there are photos on the website, perhaps someone can photograph their set in situ?

I wanted to add a few snaps of my LS-80 in situ as Alan requested, but this site won't allow it. :mad: If anyone has ideas how to get around this, I can share a few snaps.

It is stiff and a little awkward but actually not that bad once you learn how to handle it. Forget trying to coil it and repeated curving the same way just causes it to go bumpy and lumpy, which makes sense when you think how it's constructed. Instead give it a gentle shake to release the stiction between the 2 runs of cable inside the sheath and fold it back and forth on itself in the shape of a mountain road, so the stiction tension goes one way then the other and cancels out.

My set up is a little awkward as my stack is to the left of both speakers; the left channel run uses less than 2 metres, so I have to accommodate a lot of cable coiled behind the speaker, whereas I need a full 5 metre run on the right channel to go around the fireplace. I was concerned it just wouldn't curve enough to fit around the plinth without bulging into the room, but actually it's fine and hugs the plinth ok.

Alan made me long 30cm tails, which really help flexibility at the amp end if you have horizontal banana terminals, but are not really necessary at the speaker end where there is plenty of room behind.

I wanted to keep both lengths the same to future proof and retain value, plus I'm a bit OCD like that!

advertisement

Back