advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

I have some silver ribbon cable 1.5m with banana connectors. It's meant to be pure silver but I just noticed on an ebay invoice it says silver plated lol. Waste of 40 quid.

Would a 4m set of LS80 work okay with my Naim NAP500? Are the electrical properties similar enough to NACA5 not to cause problems? It seems to cope fine with my LS25.

Would a 4m set of LS80 work okay with my Naim NAP500? Are the electrical properties similar enough to NACA5 not to cause problems? It seems to cope fine with my LS25.

Having done a bit of work at Naim as a consultant, I found there amps to be very stable and well made.
The sound they produce was OK but for me the bass was a bit soft with low power control.
And you must recall the TQ cables was going to be a Naim cable before I started TQ , designed by me for my company Catch 22, but before that happen Naim merged with Focal a very sad day as I was not needed any more.
The team at Naim are or where a great bunch and I enjoyed my short time with them very much.

Just some ignorant musings on a quiet Saturday morning.

If I understand it correctly, the LS-80 is basically two runs of LS-40. Does the configuration of the LS-80 such as the spacing of the runs and the termination mean it sounds different from ... two runs of LS-40 ?

Extrapolating from that (depending on what the answer is) is it worth experimenting with my single run of LS-40 doubled with a run of my old LS-25 ? The amp has two speaker outputs, and the ESL63s have the terminals that can screw down on spades and/or accept bananas.

I've no idea whether it would make any kind of difference at all, but before I try, I am hopefully assuming that there is no electrical reason that might endanger my Primare class D amp why I shouldn't. If you know better, do please say ! :) I'll need to source some banana to spade adapters first, so there is time to warn me off !

If I understand it correctly, the LS-80 is basically two runs of LS-40. Does the configuration of the LS-80 such as the spacing of the runs and the termination mean it sounds different from ... two runs of LS-40 ?

Extrapolating from that (depending on what the answer is) is it worth experimenting with my single run of LS-40 doubled with a run of my old LS-25 ? The amp has two speaker outputs, and the ESL63s have the terminals that can screw down on spades and/or accept bananas.

I've no idea whether it would make any kind of difference at all, but before I try, I am hopefully assuming that there is no electrical reason that might endanger my Primare class D amp why I shouldn't. If you know better, do please say ! :) I'll need to source some banana to spade adapters first, so there is time to warn me off !

The effect of doubling up LS-40 into the sleeve to make LS-80, definitely improves performance way beyond any expectations of simply 2x LS-40. My (very limited) understanding is that the cables lying alongside each other somehow improves inductive shielding and improves phase errors still further. We def need a techie to explain it. My feeling therefore is that the two different cables would have to be close-coupled (in a sleeve) to offer that extra hike in performance, as per normal EWA practice, but beyond that I can't say how LS-25 and LS-40 would perform together. I can't see why different cables in the same run should create any major problem....before going to EWA, I used a combo of 2 Ecosse cables, one solid core OFC and one stranded, in a braided sleeve, all assembled by Ecosse. At the amp end they were single wired and at the speaker end bi-wired. I do think the more adaptors and connections in the signal path, the more it will degrade sound though, so if it works it may be better to get the required terminals fitted.

I look forward to a technical response to this interesting question.

OK here we go and I expect to get some odd responses from this.
The conductors in the LS25 and LS40 and LS80 are the same and a PTFE covered Litz.
The Plastic webbing is very different from nearly anything on market,
LS25 is good very good and performs well in most systems. LS 25 inductance those is much lower than LS40 and thus LS80, we are not talking about inductance in line but common mode inductance.
This helps to stop outside magnetic interference.
Now if we made LS80 with just one webbing and not twin matched LS40 we get to much inter wire capacitance so you loose the edge and thus small phase errors.
So now with twin LS40 we get low capacitance and a reduced in line inductance but increase common mode inductance and double the current rating of the conductor.
This combination is ideal for those cheap low speed Class D amp (running under 1MHz) it helps to improve the clocking noise and RF interference, so it should sound better.
It such a shame to that the standard Class D to produce good bass has to have either a low frequency cut of and or massive bulk caps.
The version I designed and patented did not, it BW was DC - 500KHz,

So with all this going on the order of sound should be
1) LS5
2)LS25
3)LS40
4)LS80

5) wet string he he;)

OK here we go and I expect to get some odd responses from this.
The conductors in the LS25 and LS40 and LS80 are the same and a PTFE covered Litz.
The Plastic webbing is very different from nearly anything on market,
LS25 is good very good and performs well in most systems. LS 25 inductance those is much lower than LS40 and thus LS80, we are not talking about inductance in line but common mode inductance.
This helps to stop outside magnetic interference.
Now if we made LS80 with just one webbing and not twin matched LS40 we get to much inter wire capacitance so you loose the edge and thus small phase errors.
So now with twin LS40 we get low capacitance and a reduced in line inductance but increase common mode inductance and double the current rating of the conductor.
This combination is ideal for those cheap low speed Class D amp (running under 1MHz) it helps to improve the clocking noise and RF interference, so it should sound better.
It such a shame to that the standard Class D to produce good bass has to have either a low frequency cut of and or massive bulk caps.
The version I designed and patented did not, it BW was DC - 500KHz,

So with all this going on the order of sound should be
1) LS5
2)LS25
3)LS40
4)LS80

5) wet string he he;)

Thank you for the reply, Colin.

I'm not sure from that, though, whether trying a run of LS-25 with the LS-40 is a good idea or not. In fact, the system with LS-40 is giving me great pleasure this morning, so I think I should just leave well alone !

Ha!

Difficult one... (Col, you missed LS-50, between 40 & 80).

Putting LS-25 into a sleeve with LS-40 is something you can try, but Cliff is correct: A sleeve is necessary to gain the EWA effect. Otherwise you're just bi-wiring (nothing necessarily wrong with that). If you have the new style LS-25 then you'll end up with something close to LS-50.

That said, be careful. LS-25 was revised when the new look/new style cables were introduced. It's a subtle improvement in isolation (compared to the old). But putting old style LS-25 onto a system with any of the newer cables is going to defeat the point of EWA cables as the phase will be different.

Hi Gavin

Absolutely no problem at all. :)

......Or whether running two lots of LS25 would sound better than LS40.

Again, if it's sleeved up tightly together and it's the same generation LS-25, you'll end up essentially with DIY LS-50 and it'll sound practically as good. Just be aware if you want to re-terminate, this stuff is nasty to solder with so it's best left with original plugs.

Old style cables LS-50: I'd prefer LS-40, not by a lot. New style, LS-50 is better.

Ha!

Difficult one... (Col, you missed LS-50, between 40 & 80).

Putting LS-25 into a sleeve with LS-40 is something you can try, but Cliff is correct: A sleeve is necessary to gain the EWA effect. Otherwise you're just bi-wiring (nothing necessarily wrong with that). If you have the new style LS-25 then you'll end up with something close to LS-50.

That said, be careful. LS-25 was revised when the new look/new style cables were introduced. It's a subtle improvement in isolation (compared to the old). But putting old style LS-25 onto a system with any of the newer cables is going to defeat the point of EWA cables as the phase will be different.

Thanks, Alan. My LS-25 is the first incarnation. Brilliant reply. You've satisfied both my curiosity and my sloth ! :)

Sorry for the delayed response, UPS delivered my order to the wrong address so its was a bit fraught but finally got there in the end! Pleased to say it was well worth the wait. Its safe to say I was staggered at the improvement the LS-80s were over the Chord Odyssey 4 cables originally in place (I'll caveat this as I also ordered a length of LS-25 to replace the same Chord cable to my centre speaker and the improvement was huge not subtle so it was a given the LS-80 would be a major jump, I'll put some notes in the LS-25 thread). The difference was immediate and others have pretty much covered it already but the change in soundstage was massive. You'll have seen movies where it starts off with a black & white 4:3 pan & scan image in the centre and then zooms out to high def widescreen , well that's probably the closest analogy I can make, the well worn phrase lifting a veil doesn't come anywhere close! Beautiful detail and dynamics but natural not harsh or analytical, hearing decay and resonances that were totally missing before contributes to wonderful atmospherics. I don't need 30 days to mull this over I just sat there with a smile on my face. I upgraded my amp recently from the Hegel H390 to the H590 and whilst the difference was noticeable it was an even bigger jump using this cable. As mentioned originally I came across this thread looking for comparisons between Tellurium Silver II, Ultra Black II & Silver Ultra (although I couldn't afford the Silver Ultra). When I ordered this cable I did have second thoughts thinking I must be crazy spending this much on cable but I have no regrets, and its great to be able to listen without the nagging doubt of should I have gone for X. Whilst my experience is very limited re comparing cable I'm done now on that front and can just enjoy the music. If you have decent hardware and are considering a cable upgrade you owe it to yourself to try the EWA cable (LS-25 in my experience is significantly better than the Tellurium Silver Mk1 I have in another system, so really have no idea what the LS-80 equates to!).
Thanks to everyone's comments across the various threads on this forum as your observations and feedback got me here and its very much appreciated :)
Colin & Alan well done and I hope you get the wider recognition you deserve, would love to see some reviews in the major publications...not What Hi-Fi ;) Although note to anyone thinking of ordering, get it now before word gets out!
Apologies for the long ramble but hope it helps someone.

Hi @NDL
I’ll have a closer read of your review shortly.
I was struck by your comment re UPS. @steveinspain and I are already experiencing problems with UPS. @ABCaudio (Alan) you might want to think about the courier you use. Your cables are being let down by the UPS delivery service. The tracking on my cables says they are delayed because they’ve sent them to the wrong sorting office. They are supposed to be heading to Wales from Sussex and they went to Sheffield then erroneously to Preston. Ridiculous - and such a shame when Alan is trying to be so helpful to us all.

@NDL your post is very helpful. Each upgrade in the EWA path is very noticeable - both from personal experience and the comments of others. I’m waiting to try LS80s from my current LS25 and looking forward to it!

Reactions: NDL
Hi @NDL
I’ll have a closer read of your review shortly.
I was struck by your comment re UPS. @steveinspain and I are already experiencing problems with UPS. @ABCaudio (Alan) you might want to think about the courier you use. Your cables are being let down by the UPS delivery service. The tracking on my cables says they are delayed because they’ve sent them to the wrong sorting office. They are supposed to be heading to Wales from Sussex and they went to Sheffield then erroneously to Preston. Ridiculous - and such a shame when Alan is trying to be so helpful to us all.

What problems with UPS?

Both cable sets are coming directly from their first owner in plain packaging, who is in Yorkshire. It was either that or return them to base, get them packaged and resent - another three or four days. Collection at the UPS drop off point was unfortunately missed on Thursday afternoon, so the cables truly departed on Friday. This UPS service is not guaranteed next day, so I wouldn't necessarily have expected then to arrive today (I hoped they might).

Read any courier thread on the forum, you'll find complaints. The dominant factor between all services is usually the local delivery man, other than that UPS are the best of a flawed bunch. Nick was unfortunate, in that UPS flat out delivered his order to the wrong address - this is the first major incident we've had with UPS in six months.

I'm quite happy with then at this time.

Hi Alan
There’s no criticism of you here. Unless I have the wrong tracking link my UPS updates say there is a delay caused by incorrect sorting (these are the words on the page of Interparcel/UPS). I wasn’t expecting next day - but incorrect sorting has to be a UPS error.
My link also shows in words that they were booked in Sheffield but a map showing they care coming from Sussex . All very odd. Others here have had problems with UPS too.
I’ll look forward to them arriving

advertisement

Back