advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

Can we stop talking about the EWA cables.....:D..., l am trying to be good and it is only January.:rolleyes:

I think it is worth pointing out that within my many pages of waffle about LS-80, I think I made one remark that actually sums up perfectly how important this cable is in my system....

"I have to be totally honest and say that the cable has upgraded the sound in a way that I don't think is actually attainable by upgrading components alone. I think I could spend thousands more on components and still not get the performance I am getting now."

It's that fundamental.

Getting wet string to work is hard, tried Mercury and Liquid Helium but the safety problem wreaked those ideas, bugger.

The LS-80 cables are now plumbed into the system

Devialet D800
Shahinian Obelisk II
Roon Streaming via dedicated NUC, local files and Tidal
Garrard 301

All I can say is they really are quite special cables.

The whole sound has improved amazingly. It was always a sound that we loved and enjoyed but it has just improved all over the frequency range and presentation. The sound is really rich and just something you want to listen to. Everything feels like it has its own space yet it all still blends to a very musical sound. It has improved the bass no end, which was something I was not expecting but definitely a welcome addition.

So, delighted with the cables and very happy with the purchase. I guess to anyone who was thinking about them and can afford them, they are a huge upgrade for your system :)

Thanks Alan and Colin

The LS-80 cables are now plumbed into the system

Devialet D800
Shahinian Obelisk II
Roon Streaming via dedicated NUC, local files and Tidal
Garrard 301

All I can say is they really are quite special cables.

The whole sound has improved amazingly. It was always a sound that we loved and enjoyed but it has just improved all over the frequency range and presentation. The sound is really rich and just something you want to listen to. Everything feels like it has its own space yet it all still blends to a very musical sound. It has improved the bass no end, which was something I was not expecting but definitely a welcome addition.

So, delighted with the cables and very happy with the purchase. I guess to anyone who was thinking about them and can afford them, they are a huge upgrade for your system :)

Thanks Alan and Colin

Wow, at last I am no longer alone!

It is really great to see another LS-80 review and nice to know that my very positive experience is echoed here, so I’m not going mad!

The Devialet amp is quite a different design and character to my Nu-Vista, so if it delivers that level of satisfaction partnered with both systems, it is a good endorsement of the universal refinement and performance of the cable.

Can I ask if you experienced a scale effect when you plumbed LS-80 in? In my system it has been the only cable I have used that has made the scale of the presentation seem bigger in every way. I assume that effect must be the combination of the soundstage, dynamics and massive bass heft.

Hi Cliff

I guess what you are saying is what we are hearing.
That’s when I talk about a richness to the sound. It is definitely a more complete sound. Dint really expect the difference to be that big

when we auditioned the ls-40s there was a slight concern that the sound was more hi-fi, brighter and more revealing, still fabulous but a different tone than we were used to. The ls-80s do not give the same impression. They give more of everything but still very musical but definitely not more hi-fi.

if you get my drift....

Neil

@ex brickie , @steveinspain

2M lengths of LS-80 are departing in your general direction later this afternoon. Steve - yours is Z-plug > Z-plug (because of your amplifier terminals), Nick yours is Spade > Z-plug.

These sets were 'run in' on a beautiful system with Apogee Scintillas and some old Gryphon amplifier... shame it wasn't a proper EWA amp!! ;) The owner is happily playing his slightly longer sets as of yesterday evening.

I really have motivation to get rich somehow now so I can happily buy stuff like £1200 speaker cables

I do believe the praise though, I have to say. Don't ask me why!

@Millennium - a number of us on this thread are not your usual noisy bunch who go on about cables for the sake of it. And for several of us it is a stretch affording the luxury of such cables. But (I know from provate chats too) we have been genuinely amazed at how much improvement you can get from EWA speaker cables - a bigger jump than you might imagine. As someone else has said here (and on the LS40 thread) you do feel as though you are getting a significant component upgrade.

What speaker cables do you have now?

Well the back to front image is deeper, wider and the bass is like living on a fault line, I use Royds Floor standing speaker and one of my Oberons, and the bass rattles the draws and the floor with LS25, and the detail plus bass drive and image on the LS40 is fantastic. but the LS80 is just amazing you hear more details but not bright, deep down bass controlled with a iron fist :)

Having heard Colin's system in situ I can completely concur with this. These are Royd Minstrels btw which are NOT supposed to do bass but crikey having owned Minstrels for many years I was genuinely shocked by the music coming from these diminutive speakers. It was unreal.
Can also only concur with the previous comments made about EWA cables - for me they will upgrade your system as much if not more as any serious change in your hardware so it is money very well spent and should not been viewed as a lot of money 'just for cables' .

advertisement

Back