advertisement

Evolution of cassette decks (1970s Akai & Marantz vs 1980s Technics etc)

One of my TCD-440A's arrived with me non working and I never got round to fixing it but the other one and the TCD-320 were used on and off for 5 years or more with no issues. Cassette was never a big source for me so they prob only got an hour a week use though...

I only used my CR-3 for recording tapes for the car. In the mid 1990's car CD-player became good enough, so it has mostly rested since then. Probably used 25 hours, or so.

I finally fired up my recently fettled Yamaha KX-1200 last night and, oooh, it;s a lovely thing. I really have too many cassette decks that I don't need and this revelation is putting the Aiwa AD-6900 in the firing line, which is a shame as it does have the coolest meters on the planet.

I finally fired up my recently fettled Yamaha KX-1200 last night and, oooh, it;s a lovely thing. I really have too many cassette decks that I don't need and this revelation is putting the Aiwa AD-6900 in the firing line, which is a shame as it does have the coolest meters on the planet.
The 6900 meters are indeed super cool :cool::cool:. My 570D has a button to switch between VU and peak readings, but puzzlingly the peak setting makes the meters register slower and lower than the VU setting. I thought maybe my meters had been wired the wrong way but youtube videos show other 570Ds exhibiting the same behaviour, so maybe the meters are working as intended??

How long do you think this little stash will last me? I really ought to get myself a Nakamichi so I can make use of them all, either that or stick with the original plan of keeping them as my pension as their value has definitely moved in the right direction over the last 15 years! ;)

50633240091_efbda09df1_o.jpg

Last edited:
There's the free sampler here that has been mentioned by Steve Hoffman and others. Click the blue box.

https://www.marecordings.com/
These sound great, thanks for posting. I am however curious about the recording process, as most of the tracks in this sampler have a lot of activity going on below 3Hz. Is this simply a result of not high-passing the mics used during the recordings, or perhaps an indication of DC offset somewhere in the downstream equipment? Applying a DC offset filter in Audacity helps to remove some of the sub-1Hz stuff but I'm wondering if applying a steep high-pass filter slightly higher up in frequency would be better for the speakers?

NOS metals go for insane prices, as does XLI-S.

Your XLII, XLII-S, SA, and SA-X are too modern to be fashionable, but still count 3-4 pounds each.

Your XLII, XLII-S, SA, and SA-X are too modern to be fashionable, but still count 3-4 pounds each.

A little bit more than that Werner, if we go by recent eBay sales. :)

My parents thought I was crazy 'wasting my money' on buying up these cassettes, - they've changed their mind now! They've even had the cheek to ask why I didn't buy more!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have too many cassette decks.
My favourite machines are:
B&O Beocord 9000, Beocord 5000
Nakamichi CR-4E
Technics RS-M275X
All of them play cassettes with no treble loss when Dolby is engaged.
I don’t have prerecordeds, it never was a thing here in France.

I am now having the curious pleasure of restoring a Nakamichi BX-300E that shortly after its original purchase in 1986 or so developed a trivial fault and was set aside my its owner, then moved to a dealership where it spent decades nicely boxed-up.

It is pristine, truly time-capsule quality. But of course it is better to replace the elcaps and the orange caps, and the bias pot, predictably, is shot. So I know what to do during many more hours to come.

I myself have, right now, CR-7, CR-4, CR-2, BX-300, Cassette Deck 1 (x2), TEAC V-1RX, Yamaha KX-300 (in restoration). All of them rebuilt, the 7, 4, and 300 heavily modified and probably sounding quite a bit better than new. I have restored and sold in the past three years CR-1/2/3/4, BX-2/125/150, 480, TEAC A-550RX, NAD 6100 Monitor, Kenwood KX-880HX.

I have too many cassette decks.
My favourite machines are:
B&O Beocord 9000, Beocord 5000
Nakamichi CR-4E
Technics RS-M275X
All of them play cassettes with no treble loss when Dolby is engaged.
I don’t have prerecordeds, it never was a thing here in France.
My only tape deck is a Beocord 4500. The only reason I have it is because it came with a matching Beomaster and Beogram CD. It's gotten the least use because I haven't used or owned tape since the early 90s. But it did sound great when it was demoed for me. It's also beautiful, but I'd swap it for the 4500 turntable if given the chance...

How long do you think this little stash will last me? I really ought to get myself a Nakamichi so I can make use of them all, either that or stick with the original plan of keeping them as my pension as their value has definitely moved in the right direction over the last 15 years! ;)

50633240091_efbda09df1_o.jpg

Yikes!, I thought my stash of Sony power JFETS was doing well.

Talking about the limits of Dolby B, did anyone have a JVC SANRS deck? I remember back in the day being quite impressed with this Dolby alternative. ANRS was Dolby compatible, SANRS added some high end companding.

advertisement

Back