advertisement

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Fell asleep. Totally boring, without direction, all about the visuals, no empathy with any characters, weak plot. Bit childish. The whole thing felt like it should have been a 10 minute scene in another movie. Went on far too long.

Jamie Lee Curtis was good.

for example - a couple of days ago I had a conversation with my youngest Son. (He is 31 yrs old)
He was trying to remember a film maker who made a Short that he used to enjoy as a child. It took me a minute to remember who he was referring to from the description he gave me.

I pointed The Boy to ‘Alice’ by Jan Svankmajer, a film that I thought he might have seen, fantastical film. I first saw it in the early 90’s. I had forgotten about it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/

The short that the Boy couldn’t remember fully.

this >

Our 5 year old loves Jan Svankmajer short films. Discoveries like that blur the transition from reprobate to parent.

Interesting film, available via Amazon Prime. 2022.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710474/

Not often we see such an original film. Not for kids.

Have you seen it?

yes, that is Jamie Lee Curtis….
If I can find the time I will give this a go. I love Dusan Makavejev, Ray Andersson, Luis Bunuel and anyone else that can turn surrealism or the avant Garde into thought provoking entertainment.

You seen Makavejev's 'Sweet Movie' or 'WR'?

If I can find the time I will give this a go. I love Dusan Makavejev, Ray Andersson, Luis Bunuel and anyone else that can turn surrealism or the avant Garde into thought provoking entertainment.

You seen Makavejev's 'Sweet Movie' or 'WR'?

I don’t think so. It doesn’t sound like my cup o tea.

‘Everything Everywhere All at Once‘ has a few Oscar nominations.

Must watch it again. Those fingers…. :p

Weird that; apparently it's totally boring & without direction... o_O:rolleyes:

Still haven't seen it; it's on my Apple Movies list; so will get it downloaded and wait for the wife to be busy/out with her pals etc :D

Weird that; apparently it's totally boring & without direction... o_O:rolleyes:

Still haven't seen it; it's on my Apple Movies list; so will get it downloaded and wait for the wife to be busy/out with her pals etc :D

My The Wife really enjoyed the film.

My youngest (32) saw it and knew that his sister and that I would dig it. Horses/Courses and all that.

My The Wife really enjoyed the film.

My youngest (32) saw it and knew that his sister and that I would dig it. Horses/Courses and all that.

Yup; watched the trailer with the wife and she's didn't approve...

Fine for me; P&Q whilst I watch & enjoy it :D

Thought it had some fun moments, but lost interest less than half way through. I don’t get the Oscar nominations. Weak year for movies I suppose.

A lot of ideas in one film. Not all succeeded but that’s hardly crime of the century in comparison to say a film with one idea which thinks it’s compelling but isn’t. I enjoyed it, laughed out loud at the Ratatouille section but wouldn’t necessarily want to see it again. My wife thought it bonkers and silly. I have no issue with that. Two people having different perspectives on the same thing is “life”.

Fell asleep. Totally boring, without direction, all about the visuals, no empathy with any characters, weak plot. Bit childish. The whole thing felt like it should have been a 10 minute scene in another movie. Went on far too long.

Jamie Lee Curtis was good.

This intrigues me. It suggests a film requires all those things to succeed for you. Why? I love films with characters I can empathise with; a decent plot which allows me to suspend belief but also surprises me. I love all sorts of films. Why does it have to be the one thing? The “bit childish” comment I understand but, at the same time, what is actually wrong with that. If all that’s out there has to be grown up and characterful and adult then please just shoot me.

I thought it was bonkers and silly, but also intriguing and compulsive viewing. Loved it.

Mind bending trying to follow it. Some of it only made sense after reading the Wikipedia page once I'd finished it. It's key to understanding that you have to do something very unusual to open up the portal to skip realities. I missed that, so couldn't work out why people had to keep doing weird shit (eg have five paper cuts, wear shoes on wrong feet, impale your butt etc). I need to rewatch.

A lot of ideas in one film. Not all succeeded but that’s hardly crime of the century in comparison to say a film with one idea which thinks it’s compelling but isn’t. I enjoyed it, laughed out loud at the Ratatouille section but wouldn’t necessarily want to see it again. My wife thought it bonkers and silly. I have no issue with that. Two people having different perspectives on the same thing is “life”.

This intrigues me. It suggests a film requires all those things to succeed for you. Why? I love films with characters I can empathise with; a decent plot which allows me to suspend belief but also surprises me. I love all sorts of films. Why does it have to be the one thing? The “bit childish” comment I understand but, at the same time, what is actually wrong with that. If all that’s out there has to be grown up and characterful and adult then please just shoot me.
no, i can enjoy a lot of films where not much happens but good dialogue keeps things moving along. this did not have that either.

We have just watched this film again. Able to concentrate more on the story rather than being overwhelmed with the madness of it all.

Fabulous.

The Raccoon.
Sausage fingers.
The relationship between a parent, their child.
Guilt.
Imaginative fight choreography.
Jamie Lee Curtis having the time of her life.

Googly eyes :)

advertisement

Back