advertisement

Everyday sexism

Indeed, however there is some conflict here as more women attempt suicide but men who attempt suicide are more likely to succeed. The charity I work with and support often quote this, men are less likely to share their desperate feelings as well. Us blokes need to be better at sharing and looking after each other. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under the age of 35. Look out for your mates guys.

Yes indeed, and without hijacking the female bit, I have personal experience of this awful trend. It is devastating and often avoidable if only more men felt they can talk or are not alone and things are not helpless.

What charity BTW?

We have unequal representation of women in politics, far fewer female engineers, scientists, artists etc. Furthermore less than 15% of statues of notable people in the country are women!

But how many actually want to do those things?

I'm not saying there aren't any, nor am I saying their paths aren't hindered, but when do you use a bit of common sense?

What if to raise the amount of women in some of these areas means employing people who are completely rubbish at it, do we forgo skill/competence just to get the numbers up? I suppose we could always force them to do it, that would go down well on Twitter I'm sure, there'd be hashtag Armageddon.

Reactions: vuk
What charity BTW?

Papyrus. The good citizens of pfm and my friends have supported me and my couch to half marathon efforts to the tune of over £2000. Next it’s six half marathons, it’s suck an important cause, and working on the prevention of suicide in young people is so important.

I'm not saying there aren't any, nor am I saying their paths aren't hindered, but when do you use a bit of common sense?

What if to raise the amount of women in some of these areas means employing people who are completely rubbish at it, do we forgo skill/competence just to get the numbers up? I suppose we could always force them to do it, that would go down well on Twitter I'm sure, there'd be hashtag Armageddon.

The ‘there are fewer of them as maybe they don’t want to do it’ argument is I think a poor one. There are some fields of high achievement that women are over populated in compared to men. Teaching immediately springs to mind, however you have to ask why that might be? Is it because there are fewer glass ceilings there? Less stigma attached to needing time for family or taking all the maternity leave you are entitled to? Is it because there is a less macho culture? Let’s pause and think for a minute whether a Parliament less like a male drinking den with jobs for the boys would be a benefit or a deficit?

The ‘there are fewer of them as maybe they don’t want to do it’ argument is I think a poor one. There are some fields of high achievement that women are over populated in compared to men. Teaching immediately springs to mind, however you have to ask why that might be? Is it because there are fewer glass ceilings there? Less stigma attached to needing time for family or taking all the maternity leave you are entitled to? Is it because there is a less macho culture? Let’s pause and think for a minute whether a Parliament less like a male drinking den with jobs for the boys would be a benefit or a deficit?

Or is it because women like working with kids? or like teaching? why do women make good nurses?

I agree with all of that, there are very few girls/women working on building sites on the manual Trade side. There are a few female Surveyors and Health and Safety people that I've seen but only a handful of Tradeswomen.

I agree with all of that, there are very few girls/women working on building sites on the manual Trade side. There are a few female Surveyors and Health and Safety people that I've seen but only a handful of Tradeswomen.

Yes I've seen a few on sites, mainly decorators in my experience. Like you say though, site supervisors , surveyors and H&S more common.

Or is it because women like working with kids? or like teaching? why do women make good nurses?

In Portugal during the dictatorship years female nurses were not allowed to marry. I wonder if that made them better nurses.

Yes indeed, I think interest plays a huge role in all this. Some of these interests have more in common with pursuing certain careers etc. How many females would buy 'Wireless Monthly' or other technical hobby mags, or want to build their own amp or speakers or motorised model tank or whatever. These hobbies attract and nurture techinically minded people many of whom may well already be electrical engineers or whatever. You can't have mostly zero general interest in all this then point to the fact there are less female engineers and claim inequality. It's no surprise given the general lack of interest by women in many of these areas and therefore no inequality that there are less female engineers and more female language students.

Couldn't agree more.

Interesting video and quite an eye opener. The one thing I would say is that she says that a 100% of women she spoke to had experience of sexual harassment of sorts. This doesn't mean 100% of men do the harassing. Like all other situations it tends to be a minority but feel with sexual harassment it might not as small. The video does make you think but the people that are at fault are hardly likely to take notice anyway.

ere and whatabout the fact that I was the only bloke in this weeks Yoga class?

Was that inequality or sexist?

It suggests you are bothered about being flexible, good mindfulness and maintaining your core:D

To add to the job debate, I work in primary schools, where the male/female teacher/ta ratio is massively towards females. You talk to leadership teams in said schools, and they would love more male teachers - especially those that can deal with behaviour issues with children.

In the University (Computer Science dept) I am head of, the the gender balance is about 60:40 m:f amongst the staff but about 85:15 m:f amongst our undergraduates (that proportion hasn't changed for years) and about 70:30 for our postgraduates.

We are currently filling a number of vacancies and the last three appointees were female.

In the University (Computer Science dept) I am head of, the the gender balance is about 60:40 m:f amongst the staff but about 85:15 m:f amongst our undergraduates (that proportion hasn't changed for years) and about 70:30 for our postgraduates.

We are currently filling a number of vacancies and the last three appointees were female.

Possibly some discrimination on gender quota for job positions going on there, (not quite sure how to phrase it).

Possibly. But if you ask me about discrimination, the one not-so-beautiful women experience compared to stunners is far greater than women compared to men, and not only for jobs where a good presentation is expected. There’s not much that can be done here I’m afraid.

I went back to school for an IT degree during the run-up to the dot-com boom, some 25 years ago. My desire was to program but my math skills were lacking. The gender breakdown was easily 90/10 MF. My professors encouraged me to take maths remediation by saying people with creative English skills were often very good programmers, something I heard repeatedly in the following years. Which sort of twists the head when you read of guys in IT management positions who couldn't write their way of out of booze bag.

I went back to school for an IT degree during the run-up to the dot-com boom, some 25 years ago. My desire was to program but my math skills were lacking. The gender breakdown was easily 90/10 MF. My professors encouraged me to take maths remediation by saying people with creative English skills were often very good programmers, something I heard repeatedly in the following years. Which sort of twists the head when you read of guys in IT management positions who couldn't write their way of out of booze bag.

I don’t think IT has any more managers as you describe than any other profession really !
Sorry you ‘smiley’ is refusing to show, please accept this ;-)

advertisement

Back