advertisement

Everyday sexism

No Matthew. The problem is not the thread itself, it is rather how I expect it to evolve. If it ends up like many anti-racism threads, I'm afraid it will just sparkle more hatred than solve any problems. Which can't be addressed on fora in the first place.

So, Tuga and his son are learning about gender inequality and sexism and inspired by this he posts a video from the excellent Laura Bates about her Everyday Sexism project. And your *immediate response* is that this thread will do no good and will just lead to more hate so, presumably, he shouldn't have bothered?

I can be a joyless, dour cynic at the best of times but really I have to doff my cap to you.

so, presumably, he shouldn't have bothered?
No, that's you who added this. Mind you, I watched the video and some things she said might well leave a trace, others will not. But I don't see the point of debating online which parts are more relevant than others. My choice is to act very locally, i.e. in the way I interact with people in my social environment. Turning this into a political thread, as was already attempted a few posts ago, is even less on my agenda.

.........Thinking closer to home, there are hardly any female PFM members! Also that women are grossly under-represented in other places such as model railway clubs, photography clubs, building and flying model aircraft, karting, montain-biking, mountaineering, cycle touring, is this inequality?.........

I think this may be due to there being fewer women on the autistic/OCD spectrum than men. I suppose this in itself is another form of gender inequality.

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/gender.aspx

No, I neither said nor thought that.

But please allow me to have some doubts about a bunch of greying hifi anoraks spearheading the evolution of sexism and racism, out-moralising each other at the bar sorry on a forum. I guess our youngsters will do this well enough and in a far more convincing way.

Part virtue signaling, part hivemind. I get it, and it's not really a terrible thing, but I just can't bring myself to do either. Makes me a social media outlier. And that's fine, and I figure that if I know I treat women fairly and it comes natural to me, I'm good with that too. I also don't give two rats' asses if I believe I'm being honest and it goes against convention. Even if I'm ultimately wrong.

Over on aisle Greta Thunberg phenomena it's all about awareness, they said. The COP-25 climate summit began yesterday. I bumped that thread to make note of it. Not a one of those outraged posters who ran to her defense for taking a carbon fiber boat across the ocean can apparently get it up to admit just how much they don't care about our collapse at best and extinction at worst. But, hey, it's what it is. Feeling good in the moment -- a sort of moral Buy It Now sans the cardboard.

Part virtue signaling, part hivemind. I get it, and it's not really a terrible thing, but I just can't bring myself to do either. Makes me a social media outlier. And that's fine, and I figure that if I know I treat women fairly and it comes natural to me, I'm good with that too. I also don't give two rats' asses if I believe I'm being honest and it goes against convention. Even if I'm ultimately wrong.

Over on aisle Greta Thunberg phenomena it's all about awareness, they said. The COP-25 climate summit began yesterday. I bumped that thread to make note of it. Not a one of those outraged posters who ran to her defense for taking a carbon fiber boat across the ocean can apparently get it up to admit just how much they don't care about our collapse at best and extinction at worst. But, hey, it's what it is. Feeling good in the moment -- a sort of moral Buy It Now sans the cardboard.

Is this about the Dotard?

I never knew that. It's outrageous and needs to be addressed!

As does the higher suicide rates at all age groups in males over females.

Or the earlier retirement ages for females, who also have on average (WHO) 6-8 years longer life expectancy than males.

I think the lady in video is covering sexual harassment, then moving on to sexual inequality but not really adding much to debate.

Some interesting points but not really the most compelling or convincing TED I have watched (all genders)

TED is owned by the Sapling Foundation, a non-profit with earnings of $66 million in 2015. That's a nice pot of tax-free money.

I got a question for TED. I jumped from here to Yahoo where a story had appeared with the headline "Kate Beckinsale rocks bikini" or similar. To provide question context for TED ....

KBTG1.jpg

Couldn't help but notice the two footprints much wider than her stance in this one ^ I think I've been shortchanged, but anyway ...

KBTG2.jpg

Little Katie's philosophical/existential post aside, there's a footprint dead center between her thigh-gap positive pose. Which is more sexist? : If she widened her stance without prompting, or if the photographer told her to?

Jumps very quickly after the opening topic on sexist remarks to the more general topic of male and female inequality. We have unequal representation of women in politics, far fewer female engineers, scientists, artists etc. Furthermore less than 15% of statues of notable people in the country are women!

Thinking closer to home, there are hardly any female PFM members! Also that women are grossly under-represented in other places such as model railway clubs, photography clubs, building and flying model aircraft, karting, montain-biking, mountaineering, cycle touring, is this inequality?

On the other hand my language classes are almost all female with the exception of a couple of males in each. Is this Inequality?

You're not suggesting that men and women are different and have different interests are you!!?? Take him to The Tower!

Thanks for posting the video, Tuga.

It was uncomfortable to watch — which is part of its point — but it also reminded us that we need to call out inappropriate comments and behaviour instead of letting them pass.

Joe

Jumps very quickly after the opening topic on sexist remarks to the more general topic of male and female inequality. We have unequal representation of women in politics, far fewer female engineers, scientists, artists etc. Furthermore less than 15% of statues of notable people in the country are women!

Thinking closer to home, there are hardly any female PFM members! Also that women are grossly under-represented in other places such as model railway clubs, photography clubs, building and flying model aircraft, karting, montain-biking, mountaineering, cycle touring, is this inequality?

On the other hand my language classes are almost all female with the exception of a couple of males in each. Is this Inequality?

' ere and whatabout the fact that I was the only bloke in this weeks Yoga class?

Was that inequality or sexist?

You're not suggesting that men and women are different and have different interests are you!!??

I sometimes roll my athletic socks down low when I ride my bike like girl's socks. Even though it hurts when my lips get chapped I like the gloss of the balm. Worse, after wearing spandex thermal tights for warmth I like to sit and peel them off slowly one leg at a time.

Arkless Electronics said:
Take him to The Tower!
That sounds sexist.

As does the higher suicide rates at all age groups in males over females.

Indeed, however there is some conflict here as more women attempt suicide but men who attempt suicide are more likely to succeed. The charity I work with and support often quote this, men are less likely to share their desperate feelings as well. Us blokes need to be better at sharing and looking after each other. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under the age of 35. Look out for your mates guys.

advertisement

Back