advertisement

Every Little Helps

A result then....

I saw a documentary just last week which said that the majority of chicken used in the UK for pies, sandwiches etc is from Vietnam! UK suppliers cannot produce enough chickens to satisfy demand it seems! I would of thought this would be a green light for UK poultry farmers to expand their operations....

Almost all cheese on pizzas is not real cheese also... and much of the meat on pizzas is not what it seems but other cheaper types formed and dyed to look appropriate. The really surprising bit was that they took some members of the public who reckoned themselves to be quite up on all matters pizza and asked them to try a real pizza made from real ingredients and another with the fake cheese and meat... 6 out of 8 of them (including an Italian) thought the fake pizza was the real one!

I have just composed a reply to Tesco, this is what I sent, I have left out the names and address:
--------------------------

I was surprised and more than disappointed to receive your offer of just a refund of the cost of the two pies, bearing in mind the grave misrepresentation involved. I do not consider this to be a meaningful gesture of compensation and goodwill. Please look into this and come back to me with an appropriate figure, preferably not just a credit voucher, which will leave a pleasant taste in this customer's mouth.

I look forward to hearing from you, when convenient.

Kind regards,"

Generally speaking unless you can demonstrate some quantifiable consequential loss or damages from your ill-considered purchase all you can expect is a full refund.

Radfordman,

Unless you want to squander a Sunday in the hope of getting more than an apology and your money back I'd suggest moving on. If the pies were filled with rusty nails or poison you'd have a case but a food picture not matching reality is known as marketing.

Joe

Radfordman,

Unless you want to squander a Sunday in the hope of getting more than an apology and your money back I'd suggest moving on. If the pies were filled with rusty nails or poison you'd have a case but a food picture not matching reality is known as marketing.

Joe

Just a bit of fun on a lazy Sunday. Not done much today, fed the cat, given her a good brush, sat in garden (both of us).

What's the healthmark on the label? It's in an oval, 3 lines, my guess is
UK
PO 006
EEC
and if so then I have worked at the factory. I don't know this exact type, but there will have been 2 range relaunches since I left. It might alternatively come out of Cranswick, which has another health mark.

Pie fillings do contract over life. It's water migration from the filling to the pastry. What you have seen doesn't look "that" far out of line for an end of life pie. I'd want to check a few over life to comment more fully. I know you want the thing to look like it does in the pic, and that pic will be a real pie, made to look as pretty as possible. It won't be 10 days old though. If you think this is unreasonable, make some pies yourself and keep them in a fridge for a week, then slice them open. Your carefully-preserved filling won't be as full as you remember.

Very good and professional response from Tesco. I especially like the "resolve the problem rather than simply giving out money" line.

Wow, yes an oval but with:
UK
CQ627
EC

I take your points but cheaper pies have been bought from Lidl and Aldi, and they had more filling.

I'm still in "negotiation" with Tesco, and hope to post more info soon.

Half full, barely, even the Tesco lady admitted in her email that she would not be happy with this pie.

It was a quotation from the film Falling Down where the protagonist's reaction was far less civilised than yours...

UK
CQ627
EC

I take your points but cheaper pies have been bought from Lidl and Aldi, and they had more filling.

I'm still in "negotiation" with Tesco, and hope to post more info soon.

I predict they will give you some credit note to spend in store that will be up to 5 times the cost of the pie...

No, but I once e-mailed Asda about leaking 2 litre milk cartons and got that response. I was not looking for any recompense, merely pointing out that the cartons must be faulty.

UK
CQ627
EC
Tamar Foods, I think in Launceston, Cornwall. Not been there, had an interview to discuss a possible contract a year or 2 back but it didn't come off. I would go there but it's one hell of a haul back to Leeds from there and it is nice to get home now and again, even if it's only once a month or so and you spend the other weekends holidaying there.

No, but I once e-mailed Asda about leaking 2 litre milk cartons and got that response. I was not looking for any recompense, merely pointing out that the cartons must be faulty.

Leaking milk container decades ago in a car, horrible.

Tamar Foods, I think in Launceston, Cornwall. Not been there, had an interview to discuss a possible contract a year or 2 back but it didn't come off. I would go there but it's one hell of a haul back to Leeds from there and it is nice to get home now and again, even if it's only once a month or so and you spend the other weekends holidaying there.

Well the Cornish should know how to make a pie. Last time I was there was about 50 years ago. Lovely Cornish pasties. My Mum could make as good at home.

advertisement

Back