advertisement

Everesting

The guy climbed the equivalent of Everest and after that found he felt ok and carried on?

Words fail me apart from well done!

Holy Moly!!

Have a nice sit down.

I reckon, if climbing at 800m an hour, that's only 35 hours. Plenty of time for rest and recoup ;)

:) I don't think I'd be allowed now unfortunately.

It has given me an idea for climbing Alpe d'Huez though.....Maybe next year..

There's a Dutch led charity event 'Alpe d'Huzes' where the target is to climb the Alpe 6 times in a day. I think Everest is the equivalent of nearly 9.

Last year a chap went up and down Edge Hill 94 times,

http://www.strava.com/activities/125017614

It all seems rather pointless. It's not even 'there'.

Paul

Climbing on a bike is an individual challenge. It's no different to time trialling except for the fact that you suffer if you are carrying a few extra pounds Paul and the views are typically better.

I took a day to qualify as a Grand Master of the Brotherood of the Fêlés of the Grand Colombier. Why? Because it was there (and I always liked the idea of the brotherhood).

I started off with the intention of qualifying to join the Club des Cent Cols and ended up with over three hundred. Why? Beats arguing on here :) And it beats riding as fast as possible up and down the A40 at 6.30 on a Sunday morning...

Climbing Everest makes complete sense, riding up Alpe d'Huez makes complete sense. Riding up and down Alpe d'Huez, or Edge Hill, until some arbitrary limit is reached makes no sense. I don't understand 24 hour TTs either. But the RAAM makes complete sense.

Paul

I don't understand riding up and down the A404 at 6am as quickly as possible with an aero helmet on but some people do it.

As I say, Col climbing is broadly the same challenge, just with better scenery. I guess there are those who are suited to endurance and those who are suited to a 10 mile blast along the flat. That will come down to both your physiology and your psychological make up.

I can't for the life of me see why one is a valid challenge and the other is not though.

I don't understand riding up and down the A404 at 6am as quickly as possible with an aero helmet on but some people do it.
It's the same as riding up a col.

It has a beginning and an ending and you'd like to travel between the two as quickly as possible. But riding up Alpe d'Huez 9 times in a row, or Edgehill 94 times in a row, is an exercise in futility. IMO. Stretching that to repeating for 48 hours is just futility squared.

OTOH ascending Mont Ventoux by all routes in a single day is an appealing challenge.

As always, YMMV.

Paul

We agree!

They are essentially the same and you choose to do what your psyche and your physiology enables you to do.

Ventoux by all routes is mildly boring IME as it's a fairly barren climb without much to look at. The route up from Sault is quite pleasant though in the early evening so my advice would be to save that for last.

The four ascents of the Grand Colombier is harder IMHO.

The reason to climb the Alpe 30 times on the trot would be simple. No one has been mad enough to do it AFAIK. :)

I Everested recently, as it was in France I took a proper break between ascents ( 2 weeks Marmotte- Etape 9,000m ) a club mate Everested Box Hill recently through the wee spooky wild hours. Me I'm not really a mountain goat! Chapeau to anyone who has the legs for this.

advertisement

Back