advertisement

Ever heard decent on wall speakers?

Thank you.
I'm not sure about standmount speakers being used on brackets. They're all designed to be used at some distance from the wall so having them on brackets will give an unpredictable result.

I'm sure the PMC wafers sound really good but at £2000 for a pair are too expensive for a secondary system. Unless I came across a SH/ex dem pair at half the price.

The room is an irregular shape but approx 18ft by 15ft. It is going to be fitted out as a library/study and then a 2/3 seater sofa in the middle (and facing speakers)

Definitely not interested in diy, not my thing at all lol.

Also, I'm not trying to achieve the impossible, I know there is only so much I can do due to space and budget constraints; and it is a secondary system after all.

The MA, ATC and Dali look interesting. I've always thought MA provide a lot for the money. My main system has MA PL300 speakers and they show that MA can produce top level speakers when they want to.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks again

S/H Linn Katans on Linn Brakits. For £300-£350 you won't find a better wall mounted speaker solution. Sound bloody superb.

I've got a set of black Linn Classik Unik speakers. They are in excellent condition and original boxes. There are five of them and I used to use them in a 5.1 surround sound system. Their sound reproduction is great.

There are reviews and info online:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Manuals_-_Classik_Unik

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=54

I haven't used the speakers since I moved house 12 years ago and if you want to hang them off the wall you will need Linn Brakits. I have got a couple of Linn speaker columns as well.

The five individual speakers come inside a larger Linn set box. I'll sell them for a reasonable price and I am based in London.

Please PM me if you're interested and I'll send some pix.

Jack

If it's a smallish study/library then why not experiment with bookshelf speakers on the, errr... bookshelves? Contrary to popular opinion I've found that almost any decent small speaker will work reasonably well packed in between the books. I'm currently using a pair of Rogers LS3/5As on shelves in my office and they work well, at least to my ears. I've also used Warfedale Diamonds the same way. Ok, it's a compromise but then so is hanging speakers on the wall.

If it's a smallish study/library then why not experiment with bookshelf speakers on the, errr... bookshelves? Contrary to popular opinion I've found that almost any decent small speaker will work reasonably well packed in between the books. I'm currently using a pair of Rogers LS3/5As on shelves in my office and they work well, at least to my ears. I've also used Warfedale Diamonds the same way. Ok, it's a compromise but then so is hanging speakers on the wall.
To work nicely close to a wall, the speaker must be voiced without any mid bass bump or BSC. The JR149 is a good example of a speaker with this sort of response.

My cardboard DIY horns, snailshell design, are designed to work hard against a wall and are 4" deep . They sound great against the wall and dreadful off it. Cost £30 and a few evenings.

Probably harder to find across the pond but the new PSB Alpha P3 sound amazing for their size and they have a thread for wall mounting on the back.

Fun little speaker for sure.

To work nicely close to a wall, the speaker must be voiced without any mid bass bump or BSC. The JR149 is a good example of a speaker with this sort of response.
From a technical point of view you are of course correct, but in my experience the extent to which this matters in real life depends to a great extent on room acoustics, source material, and listening volume. I just happened to have a spare pair of LS3/5As knocking around and found they worked well tucked away in my office bookshelves, despite the base jump.

Try to find some Tannoy i8 or V8.

They’re designed to be used on-wall and have an excellent paper DC driver that is also used in some very expensive Prestige range speakers.

They really are excellent.

Yes. I bought a pair to go on a high shelf (they are effectively on the wall) and I love the sound. I think there were dedicated wall brackets (although I don't have them)

advertisement

Back