advertisement

Evans Cycles

When you price match online retailers in your stores for years, this is inevitable. I've bought two top flight bikes from Evans over the years, but their workshop and after sales services were so diabolical, they were key in encouraging me to learn bike maintenance.

A local business in Edinburgh told me they were about to go bust imminently. Can you picture Mike Ashley on a bike? It would disappear up his wazoo.

Oh dear. My commiserations to the staff. I quite like Evans but there's rarely anyone in the Durham shop and even fewer in the York store.

Evans in Woking were an improvement over the previous owner, but that wasn't saying much. They were my bike shop for a few years.
Not that great in the shop looking back
Took my bike there for a big service and was so teed off I vowed never to go there again.
As above I started doing a lot of my own maintenance from then on.

I now use the wonderful Banjo Bikes in Sunningdale,(also Newbury) and recommend them to everyone

Evans has been looking for a cash injection / buyer for a while.

I quite like Evans, there's one near me and I like to click and collect basics from there. They must do a lot of Cycle to Work scheme sales. Servicing though like any chain depends on who is in the workshop. I always use an indie LBS. Hope that they don't just start selling the junk that Ashley normally stocks.

Sports Direct were selling Zipp Wheels recently!

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5506/...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

I remember buying my first expensive bike at the Cut branch. A Raleigh Corsa with Look pedals and a 12-17 block . That was 30 years ago. Now I look at bike prices and all I see is a year's mortgage payments.

I like the Manchester CC branch, it's convenient and I often pop in for bits and pieces and bought a GT Grade for commuting last year with quite a large discount in return for a bit of a junker that was clogging up the shed. Staff friendly and helpful, often do the price match themselves (perhaps not helping the financial state of the company). Much rather go in there than Harry Hill's. Shame if it goes or is turned into some shiteware discount operation

advertisement

Back