Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

EU plug, UK socket

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Thorn, Jul 22, 2020.

1. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

That reads like 'Peter Simple' in the Daily Telegraph c 1986, getting a bit worked-up at the very idea of a single European lightbulb.

heaven forfend!

(PS Harry & Janet Nodule found several new sources of traffic jams to call home in the intervening decades ...)

TheDecameron likes this.
  2. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

On this subject, what the bloody hell has happened to lightbulb standards in the last few years? You used to buy bayonet fittings in various power outputs, job done. You now have MR 11, 16, Christ knows what else, pushins, stepped pins that push and twist, screw fittings in 2 or more sizes, it goes on for bloody ever! I have boxloads of the things and I need 20 minutes with a notepad and a caliper to work out what fitting I need next.

suzywong, narabdela, Snufkin and 2 others like this.
  4. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

In Italy there are (at least) two different sizes. Larger pins and spacing for higher current devices, smaller for lesser current. Reminiscent of the old 5/15 amp round pin UK plugs and sockets.

5. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

That safety regulation has already been bonfired post-Brexit.

Like all the others will be if they get in the way of Conservatives making money.

Stephen

narabdela likes this.
  6. stephen bennett

I regularly buy from Germany. They always send me a UK IEC mains cable, which is nice.

I have a surplus of EU IEC cables.

Stephen

7. stephen bennett

I did open this thread thinking it was a metaphorical statement about the UK's relationship with the EU.

It's actually a good one as I think we're about to get shafted.

Stephen

8. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

And don't forget the dinky little 3 amp round pin plug.

I think that when the UK came up with our current three pin plug/socket system we really were still world class.

9. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I usually poke a screwdriver in the earth hole to open the holes and plug in as normal.

Nero and TheDecameron like this.
  10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

2A I think it was/is, BS 546. We had to use them in our student HoR so we couldn't use irons - as if ;)

Snufkin likes this.
  11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

You can guarantee that had they tried to standardise plugs, it would have been the festival of “why oh why” in The Sun and “first they came for our bananas, now they’re takin our plugs” or “German plot to flood Britain with electrical appliances that actually work”.

suzywong likes this.
  12. bor

bor queue jumper

Strip the wires back, three wooden Swan matches (used if you were safety conscious), jam them straight into the wall socket. Problem solved.

TheDecameron likes this.
  13. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Only one match required, use it to move the earth pin downwards and the live and neutral will open up as well allowing the wires to be inserted, removing the match causes the pins to grip the bare wires for safety.

14. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Yet all the fittings for all the lamps listed above are still lethal to young fingers when switched on without a bulb in. I can’t quite believe this in 2020.

15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

In most cheap sockets that's very true, but not in a decent MK socket - all pins have to be inserted. Here's some quality geekery...

cutting42 likes this.
  16. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

It seems you Brit's miss out on the possibility to turn the plug 180 degrees to check out which way makes your HiFi sound the best. Or?

tuga and deanf like this.
  17. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Not entirely true, modern switched bayonet lampholders are arranged so that you can`t move the crossbar to the on position unless a bulb is already fitted.

In any case once we have a trade deal with trump all our bulbs will be (Edison) screwed.

18. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The approved method is to offer the bare ends to the shuttered socket and then force them home with a plug. It`s important to use an old style BS 1363 plug, with a BS 1363A type you run the risk of the pin sleeve insulators blocking the connection.

MikeMA likes this.
  19. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

If it conks out after 31 December I suspect you may be stuffed.

20. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

You need to push harder! That's what I do in our hovel Greece.