advertisement

Essential words in a hit song

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
One of Jacko's toons reminded me how important it is to say "ow" as many imes as possible. Seemed to work for a number of singers come to think of it.

"Baby" has to be up there as well

Hi Paul,

You are not wrong there.

Just ask James Brown about "Baby".

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21yFiTOTDt0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21yFiTOTDt0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

Dean

Ian Astbury was a major exponent of "Baaaaybeeee"

(1:56)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that im an expert or anything, but Bon Jovi has "Johnny" in his all his songs "Johnny used to work on the docks" "Johnny was a cowboy on a steel horse" "Johnny was a welder living on his wits" "Johnny was a sausage roll artisan at Greggs" etc...

tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, come to daddy, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis, tis

From I can't quit you (babe)": "b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-babe babe babe babe babe babe baybe I am gonna leave you".

Course, that's not a Plant/Zep original. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was originally a folk song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_I'm_Gonna_Leave_You

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Bredon

It also depends on the type of hit song. Yummy Yummy Yummy was a huge hit, as was Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

Personally, I'm with the 'good lyrics' tendency.
Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks, Smiths (apparently) and many others had huge hits with real lyrics that told a story. There may even be later examples, but I'm an anachronism and therefore wouldn't know.

Stardust lyrics

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart
You wander down the lane and far away
Leaving me a song that will not die
Love is now the stardust of yesterday
The music of the years gone by
Sometimes I wonder why I spend
The lonely night dreaming of a song
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you
When our love was new
And each kiss an inspiration
But that was long ago
Now my consolation
Is in the stardust of a song
Beside a garden wall
When stars are bright
You are in my arms
The nightingale tells his fairy tale
A paradise where roses bloom
Though I dream in vain
In my heart it will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of love's refrain

Perhaps Zeppelin thought adding innumerable amounts of "Baby" to someone else's song made it their own. This would account for the large number of songs that they filched off other artists and called their own.

uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh O superman uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh o judge uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh O Mom and Dad uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh Mom and dad uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh Uh, Uh Huh, uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh

advertisement

Back