advertisement

Essential Kraftwerk

Everytime I see that someone has posted here, I keep hoping that its been reported that Ralf has finally given in and sanctioned permission to re release the RCA/Vertigo records:(

I named my dog ‘Ralf’ after Mr. Hutter, way back in 1980.

Bizarrely, my 82 year old Dad still remembers the origin of the dog’s name, and mentions Ralf Hutter when recalling that particular (fine) dog.

Ralf also has a comedic bark sound if pronounced so.

Everytime I see that someone has posted here, I keep hoping that its been reported that Ralf has finally given in and sanctioned permission to re release the RCA/Vertigo records:(

AIUI, for the Vertigo / Phillips albums, Ralf is OK with their release (although he doesn't understand the interest) but the arch-perfectionist in him wants the rereleases to be done right, as a "Katalog" sort of thing. I suspect that the age of the tapes means that is proving a bit of a challenge.

I wouldn't hold your breath for "Tone Float", though.

AIUI, for the Vertigo / Phillips albums, Ralf is OK with their release (although he doesn't understand the interest) but the arch-perfectionist in him wants the rereleases to be done right, as a "Katalog" sort of thing. I suspect that the age of the tapes means that is proving a bit of a challenge.

I’m not sure I buy that. I’d be surprised if any of them suffered from ‘sticky shed’ tape failure due to the date and geographic location (I’d guess Kraftwerk would have used Agfa or BASF given their location, which seems far less impacted), and why would there be such a difference between say Autobahn and Ralf & Florian? They are not far apart time-wise. It just doesn’t ring true.

My suspicion is there may be legal issues with Kraftwerk I due to the Neu! presence, and they just decided they didn’t like the first three so brushed them under the carpet. Another telling thing is to my knowledge they have never revisited any early songs, e.g. none pop up on The Mix, Minimum Maximum, the red box etc, I’ve never heard of them playing anything live. There are some great tracks there that even if the tapes were wiped out they could have recreated from scratch the way they have with the rest of their catalogue had they wanted to. I view it as a conscious decision and I don’t think we’ll see them in Ralf’s lifetime. It wouldn’t surprise me if they all appeared after that point. There is clearly a market.

PS They could so easily have released an abridged compilation CD with the best of the first three and it would have sold by the bucket-load. There were several compilations of the Vertigo era (Doppelalbum, Exceller 8 etc), so not unprecedented.

I'm sure I mentioned before that in 1980, all pre-"Radioactivity" albums were pulled from the catalogue. I suspect that was KW disowning the whole lot (Ralf has made his disinterest in that period well known) else why would a label not keep stuff on catalogue when they were a big seller on another label? Hard to believe but "Autobahn" was unavailable for about 6-7 years and even then, they've never made the 7" version available digitally.

I'm sure I mentioned before that in 1980, all pre-"Radioactivity" albums were pulled from the catalogue. I suspect that was KW disowning the whole lot (Ralf has made his disinterest in that period well known) else why would a label not keep stuff on catalogue when they were a big seller on another label? Hard to believe but "Autobahn" was unavailable for about 6-7 years and even then, they've never made the 7" version available digitally.
I found my copies of Radio-Activity and Ralf And Florian LP's in a music shop in Swansea (upstairs in Duck, Son & Pinker for anyone that knows, and is old enough) back in 1979.
I remember being chuffed to bits!

I've got the cd for this, on the label innerspace. Makes more sense with the video.
Many Germans rejected the R and B from the allies forces radio stations after the war, and their parents' classical/vernacular music from before the war, and were looking for new sounds.

kraftwerk-cover@1400x1050-696x522.jpg

Got this Ultimate Guide from W.H.Smiths last weekend.

Don't be put off by the strange reddish tint of the cover that makes all of the band look like Irish gingers...

...the magazine is a great read.

I have spent the last week reading the album reviews and listening to everything from Tone Float to 3-D Katalog.

Despite being the first group I got into (in the 70s courtesy of an ex-library 50p copy of the Vertigo "Autobahn" LP)...

...I haven't listened to much of their stuff recently.

I find with KW that because a lot of their melodies are so upfront that they don't reward repeated listening like say an "Unknown Pleasures" or "Spirit of Eden".

But my god if you leave off listening to KW for a few years - they don't half sound fantastic when you finally return.

The mag has a nifty section on some of the obscure compilations like Exceller 8, High Rail and Elektro Kinetik etc...

...they slag off Exceller 8 - but I enjoy the fresh feel of the edits (fair play though Exceller 8 is pretty awful Autobahn related pun).

kraftwerk-cover@1400x1050-696x522.jpg

Got this Ultimate Guide from W.H.Smiths last weekend.

Don't be put off by the strange reddish tint of the cover that makes all of the band look like Irish gingers...

...the magazine is a great read.

I have spent the last week reading the album reviews and listening to everything from Tone Float to 3-D Katalog.

Despite being the first group I got into (in the 70s courtesy of an ex-library 50p copy of the Vertigo "Autobahn" LP)...

...I haven't listened to much of their stuff recently.

I find with KW that because a lot of their melodies are so upfront that they don't reward repeated listening like say an "Unknown Pleasures" or "Spirit of Eden".

But my god if you leave off listening to KW for a few years - they don't half sound fantastic when you finally return.

The mag has a nifty section on some of the obscure compilations like Exceller 8, High Rail and Elektro Kinetik etc...

...they slag off Exceller 8 - but I enjoy the fresh feel of the edits (fair play though Exceller 8 is pretty awful Autobahn related pun).
I bought the magazine a few weeks back, I'm not quite sure if its a reprint of another issue with a different cover?.....I'll have to check.

Edit: Yeah as I thought, the new magazine is an updated (much better and extended) version of a previous issue;-

https://imgur.com/a/iWC3zcc

Last edited:

advertisement

Back