advertisement

ESL 63 panel refurbishment?

After some further listening last night I’d say sound has improved a bit - leading edge and decay of certain bass notes more noticeable. Could be wishful thinking though of course. I was kind of hopeful/kind of scared that 2 new panels would be a drastic improvement…and I’d then have to shell out on 6 more. It’s certainly not that big a change…so far anyhow.

Richard.
You'll never know until you've done them all!
(Sorry, COULDN'T resist...)
My coat is hanging up in the hall. ;)

Haha - but no :) For sure low volume bass is much better now, but it sounded stunning before...and stunninger now. If I'm to invest more money, thenk I'd be looking for bigger models than the 63 :)

Richard

Just popped open the farting panel - lengthy job as I need to pull off all the bulldog clips I'd use to try and help longevity, which meant putting silver clips back and prizing off;
52091455860_79eead53be_k.jpg

52090952016_8bf8d598ce_k.jpg

52089922582_c115522dfd_k.jpg

Look at the tears in the Mylar! How was it still making music?
52091199749_688b46b2fc_k.jpg

52091455825_96f95586f7_k.jpg

52089922422_bce7b155f5_k.jpg

52090972303_559cd1527a_k.jpg

52090972318_997e0569c5_k.jpg

So lesson needs to be, if you're stupid enough like me to try and get a few more years out of panels that have started to split at the seams, repair/strengthen the whole side, not just the already split pieces. Oh, and if black panels, fit bulldog clips to increase edge seal immediately (I'd even recommend for anyone getting a new black panel pair - re-glue plastic stators immediately and fit bulldog clips all around the edge [the white panels have something fitted]).

So, now to get the old ones repaired - hopefully I have a bit of time :)

Richard

I’d replace both for parity, then get both old ones refurbed - think @fran does them, or maybe my contact in Oz too (if you have patience). Depends what issues were I guess - I replaced both, but only one was faulty. Maybe just one would have been ok, But I wasn’t willing to take the chance

Probably what I should have done, but I was also replacing old black panels with new white ones - my OCD did not allow :)

Greatings music lovers.
Quick question. I'm attempting resto of a pair of 63’s. On back of one stator there is what looks like a nylon/silky cloth stuck to it. What are you guys doing with this covering when repairing panels as I've loosened mine off when trying to get dust and muck out of it with cleaner ?
Where can a source and what will stick it too?

Contact adhesive. If your going to clean them best to split each unit into front and back panels.

Contact adhesive. If your going to clean them best to split each unit into front and back panels.

Yeh, fully stripped down, removed all old glue from egg box frame and pcb carefully with acetone and used thin coat of pcb lacquer after.
I am re-assembling with polyurethane - clamped tight. Before that I need to replace this nylon on one side.
Would it have been iron-on originally maybe? Glueing it - without blocking the pores - is prooving tricky so any experience much appreciated!

Yeh, fully stripped down, removed all old glue from egg box frame and pcb carefully with acetone and used thin coat of pcb lacquer after.
I am re-assembling with polyurethane - clamped tight. Before that I need to replace this nylon on one side.
Would it have been iron-on originally maybe? Glueing it - without blocking the pores - is prooving tricky so any experience much appreciated!

i need photos - you’re replacing the Mylar, or the dust cover?

anyhow, after fitting mine months back, I just cranked the volume to list to St Germain via a modified CD104 - bugger, I now have a use for the good black bass panel I have! This with volume reduced, guess Mylar plait there too…

https://youtube.com/shorts/STCyP2NtOwU?feature=share

I
hope I can remove top 3 panels without unsoldering all!?

edit to add: what tags do I need to embed YouTube video?

@Dowser That's arcing alright! For what its worth, its usually quicker just to desolder both sides and whip the panels out to get to the bottom.

@Paul Easton I think I would try using a foal roller to lightly coat the stator before placing he nylon mesh back down. The nylon material usually stays on the stator pretty well - but if bits are rising then a little contact adhesive works well to stick it back down. Sometimes if there has been arcing, you can get pinholes etc and I always worried that you'd have carbon build up around them. So I often use a little nail varnish to isolate them a bit. If you have to remove and glue down the whole stator, make sure that you have nothing sticking up that comes close to the mylar. It will arc in use.

By the way, if you have replaced the mylar, its devilishly easy to leave little "hairs" of melted mylar when you make the holes around the centre screw supports. I advocate looking with magnifying glasses with good lighting to make sure nothing is there.

@Dowser That's arcing alright! For what its worth, its usually quicker just to desolder both sides and whip the panels out to get to the bottom.

@Paul Easton I think I would try using a foal roller to lightly coat the stator before placing he nylon mesh back down. The nylon material usually stays on the stator pretty well - but if bits are rising then a little contact adhesive works well to stick it back down. Sometimes if there has been arcing, you can get pinholes etc and I always worried that you'd have carbon build up around them. So I often use a little nail varnish to isolate them a bit. If you have to remove and glue down the whole stator, make sure that you have nothing sticking up that comes close to the mylar. It will arc in use.

By the way, if you have replaced the mylar, its devilishly easy to leave little "hairs" of melted mylar when you make the holes around the centre screw supports. I advocate looking with magnifying glasses with good lighting to make sure nothing is there.
Thanks for all comments.
It is the backing that I've removed. (membrane is next challenge!!)
My worry was in glueing backing back down (or replacing) is that I may clog the holes, but using a roller with some contact adhesive seams best ploy to avoid this. Thanks.
Btw I have found a very similar backing material ( in Boyes) so will tape it taught to some glass and roller the stator before laying carefully on top and clamping. I can trim holes and edges when dry.
I now have a plan.
When I can figure out how to upload photos from my Iphone I will share.

advertisement

Back